It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Same-sex couples in D.C. say 'I do'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Same-sex couples in D.C. say 'I do'

www.cnn.com

Washington (CNN) -- A lesbian couple together for more than a decade smiled through tears Tuesday as they became the first same-sex couple to marry in the District of Columbia, on the first day such unions are legal in the nation's capital.

Sinjoyla Townsend and Angelisa Young said they had waited years to marry. They were first in line last week to apply for a marriage license at Washington's marriage bureau.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.csmonitor.com

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
While not quite as significant as a State, the significance of this occurring in D.C. is that it is a Federal District, and thus not only thumbed it's nose at DOMA, but because of the refusal of the SCOTUS to get involved, showed pretty much how the Court will rule when the Defense Of Marriage Act is finally brought before the High Court. It is now only a matter of time before not only DOMA is overturned as being Unconstitutional, but that all States in the Union will have to recognize these Marriages.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Its nice to see a little progress from humanity once every other decade or so(the previous poster aside).

I agree the implications of SCOTUS's refusal combined with the federal jurisdiction equals a very strong precident.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
nevermind.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by JonInMichigan]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
That's very cool! It must feel wonderful to them and it feels GREAT to me to finally have another step toward true equality of ALL citizens!

The Constitution is being upheld!

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JonInMichigan

Anyway, nice news.. although i can't be certain i don't think most gay people really give a damn if it's called marriage or a civil union as long as the same privileges etc are given.

Sarcasm detector broken.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JonInMichigan

They have children.

Marriage is what you make it.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
And the rotting of America continues...

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Romans 10:9

Funny that you would equate progress to rotting. If they banned it I am sure that you would equate that to progress though wouln't you?

The status quo is the problem, not policy making which is currently moving forward.

Look at this way, married couples pay more taxes, it's good for the economy.

~Keeper

top topics

join