It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tom Delay: People Are Unemployed Because They Want To Be

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Voted Tom Delay out and make him eat those words. What an incredibly ignorant comment. The "truth" is the economy is really bad all over planet, and some areas the available workforce far exceeds the number the jobs available. An area with thousands of lost jobs cannot absorb the impact. He may believe that all of the unemployed people are just lazy and don't want to work but how many thousands of people got laid off from jobs. Nobody wants to work, but if you got bills to pay, it is necessary.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
"Foreman says these jobs are going boys, and they ain't coming back,

to your home town" Bruce Springsteen

There are no jobs to be lazy from.

Over 18% Unemployed, another 36000 last week.

How can the Gov call it a Jobless Recovery, and then call people lazy ?????

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Another regurgitation from that pathetic Dancing With The Stars- wannabe who is hated by most of America.
But you know, whatever line of Reptillian he is, he is with Cheney, that breed just love to be hated by the American people.

He knows what he can do with his comment. I'm unemployed after working all my life and here's to you,
Tom de Reptillian.

Oh and you cant dance either!

Keep your day job, whatever hole its at.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by dgtempe]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

Over 18% Unemployed, another 36000 last week.

What country/state/region has 18%?

US, Michigan, Detroit???

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

The US , last I looked 17.15%

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Sean48]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

18.4%

That's odd.

articles.latimes.com...

Perhaps your source has a different metric?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

You try then , it's at 17.15% ,

At far right is US workforce, and US unemployed.

Simple Division

www.usdebtclock.org...

Please leave your answer sir, just to confirm

US work Force = 138, 975,000

Actual Unemployed = 23,839,000

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Sean48]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

Well....how accurate is that site, compared to the BLS?

Choose which you want to believe. Doesn't really matter to me, either way.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nine-eyed-eel
reply to post by Misoir

Well, I just quit my job yesterday...

I think Delay is right, right now...

If I can't find a job, I will post again and admit I was wrong...vamos a ver...

Okay...

I quit my old job at 2pm on Sunday...

I got a new job at 4pm on Tuesday.

Now both these jobs are lousy, menial low-pay...My new job however does have medical dental vision 401k stock purchase option paid vacation (after first 90 days), whereas my old one had paid vacation only.

I'm willing to work any job, and I found a job...
Mr. Delay has not been proved wrong by me, all I'm saying...

Good luck to all other poor working people seeking...

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Generally speaking, that's an asinine comment. While I'm sure there are people out there that are content to sit on their hindquarters and pick up a check, the majority of people don't have that luxury, especially if it's someone with a family. Maybe a single person that doesn't own a home and have a bunch of bills or a younger person still living at home that doesn't have to worry about paying the bills might not jump out of their chairs when they know a check is coming but not in most cases.

On the flip side, the extensions aren't true, paid into unemployment benefits, they're basically government welfare coming from public coffers and they can't sustain them indefinitely. Then you might have actually have that mindset set in as they gradually adapt to a certain level of lifestyle. Of course if the extensions reach a point where they aren't extended any further, you may have more people ending up on welfare, food stamps, etc. And the beat goes on.

Another side to it is, I don't believe a person has to accept a job if it pays less than a certain percentage of what they received from their previous employer. There could be people who were fairly well paid and receiving good benefits that were offered a job outside of their regular line of work that wouldn't pay them any more or even substantially less than their unemployment benefits. If they're actually making more from unemployment and this job wouldn't cover their obligations, why would they take it? If they were close to the end of their benefits/extension maybe they would be less particular but not if they held out hope of getting a job with a comparable pay level that they previously had. I haven't been on unemployment for almost 20 years and I don't know what obligations exist these days but the above sounds plausible.

Anyway, his suggestion is inane. What a person does or doesn't do is based on individual circumstances, not necessarily because they don't want to work.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I apply with about 10-20 positions a week. I've done this for the past year. Guess how many interviews I've been to? Tom Delay is mentally delayed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join