It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Myrtle's Plantation Ghost Photo?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

The Myrtles has been featured in New York Times, Forbes, Gourmet, Veranda, Travel and Leisure, Country Inns, Colonial Homes, Delta SKY and on the Oprah Show, A & E, the History Channel, The Travel Channel, The Learning Channel, National Geographic Explorer, and GOOD MORNING AMERICA. It was also featured in The Haunting of Louisiana.

My girlfriend and I rented a room inside the main house of the Myrtles Plantation (Picture of the Myrtles Plantation in the link) last year. It's located in St. Francisville about 30-40mins north of Baton Rouge Lousisana and it's been called one of the most haunted houses in America. The picture in the link above is of the main plantation house that's up on their site, just so you can see what it looks like. It's quite an experience sleeping in a well known haunted house, especially if you believe in ghosts.

I've procrastinated posting the below picture because of all of the photo shopping going on now days, but I figured what the heck. It doesn't matter if anyone thinks it's not a real shot. They hold mystery tours on the weekends and you can rent rooms in the main house, in apartments built on the grounds, or the caretakers cottage behind the house. We've made 4 trips there and only slept once. It's kind of expensive to sleep in the house, at least for us anyway.

I've taken other photo's of strange things on the plantation, but none worth putting up like this. Below is a shot that keeps us going back. It was taken at about 5:30pm of the caretakers cottage in the back. The same caretakers cottage shown on Ghost Hunters. I can't remember anything about the camera besides it wasn't digital and I had to develop the film (Kodak). It was a shock to see what we caught unless it's just a film smudge. It's between the fence and the house. When I snapped the shot, it was only to catch how cool the old cottage looked. The "ghost" wasn't there when I took the picture.

You shouldn't be able to miss what I'm talking about. Let me know what you think.

Q

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazi176

You shouldn't be able to miss what I'm talking about. Let me know what you think.

Q

I don't see much. Is it that thing that looks like a Big Bird doll?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazi176

Hi,

Looks to me like a leaf falling from the large tree on the right. The light was pretty low so assume a long exposure time. Alos there appear to be other similar coloured leaves on the ground.

Peace!

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Ghosts are suppsoed to be invisible. I don't think cameras can see them any better then humans can.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I definitely had a freaky experience there. Let's just say it's unwise to mock the supernatural.

edit to add:

But I'm still not seeing anything...

[edit on 8/3/2010 by kosmicjack]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Wave

Hi,

Looks to me like a leaf falling from the large tree on the right. The light was pretty low so assume a long exposure time. Alos there appear to be other similar coloured leaves on the ground.

Peace!

Nice idea, but that tree is a Crepe Myrtle and it's leaves are very small and spade shaped...to me it looks like a potted tree/ plant on the porch with the sun reflecting off of it.

My best friend and ex college roomie worked as a guide there one summer...we lived in New Roads, right across the river via ferry from St. Frannie...and he saw / heard things he would never talk about. This guy was not easily rattled, either, and was a skeptic at heart.

Too many have seen too much for nothing to be going on there...and he swore that there are no hidden 'tricks" about the property to freak people out.

As far as this pic...I just don't know. Could be a leaf. Could be a film smudge. Could be something invisible to naked eye.

Photoshopped? I doubt it. Nice share.

ETA: OK, you said Large tree and that one may be a pecan or white oak. Looks like a pecan leaf group falling with the nut casing. Pecans do lose leaves in winter after they yellow.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Cole DeSteele]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Why is the ghost wearing a rain jacket..?

I mean, it's not even raining...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

As far as this pic...I just don't know. Could be a leaf. Could be a film smudge. Could be something invisible to naked eye.

Then how would the camera catch it? Camera's work on the same frequency our eyes do.

Honestly, due to how defined itt is against the background, it looks like something near the lens, maybe a bug, or some sort of fluff, maybe even something on the lens.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Here is some advice and this is just a general blanket statement...
One picture alone is honestly rarely going to be given consideration or taken seriously.
This is why I have gotten used to taking multiple pictures pretty much every time I hit the button.
The picture in question here looks like the dusk sunlight shining off a plant of some sort or even part of the tree.
(Dusk in Lousiana is breathtaking and vivid).
Some more pics of the spot would be greatly helpful.
That being said when I get home I will clean it up and see what shakes loose.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider

Then how would the camera catch it? Camera's work on the same frequency our eyes do.

Aaaaah, that's why I can see the remote control signal with my camera and not with my eyes ...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by Quazi176

Q

I don't see much. Is it that thing that looks like a Big Bird doll?

It looks like a person (though yellow in color) facing to the right, hunched over with it's right arm extended grasping the top of the fence. It also looks to be wearing a flat-top short billed cap like the confederate soldiers wore. If you zoom in you can even tell it has a nose and chin.

One of the ghosts supposedly haunting the grounds is a civil war confederate soldier. I'm not saying that's what it is, but it certainly doesn't look like a leaf or bug flying close to the camera. It also looks to be cut off at fence level suggesting it's in between the fence and the porch.

There's a term for people seeing faces in the clouds and what not, but it sure looks like a humanoid figure wearing a cap, hunched over facing to the right, but that's just me.

Another thing about someone suggesting it's a leaf. I don't see any other leaves in the picture that color, do you? Still looks strange to me.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Wave

Hi,

Peace!

Wouldn't there be other leaves on the surrounding trees at least matching the object in my photo if that was indeed a leaf?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
I definitely had a freaky experience there. Let's just say it's unwise to mock the supernatural.

edit to add:

But I'm still not seeing anything...

[edit on 8/3/2010 by kosmicjack]

The yellow object looks to be between the fence and the porch of the cabin. One of the ghosts supposedly haunting the grounds is a confederate soldier. Zoom in and look, you'll see (or at least i do) a flat-top short billed cap the soldiers wore. You'll see what could be a nose and chin. It's right arm is extending out and "holding on" to the fence.

All I'm saying is it wasn't there when I took the pic.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

..to me it looks like a potted tree/ plant on the porch with the sun reflecting off of it.

I did call the plantation the next day and asked if anything was in between the fence and the porch that was yellow in color, like a small tree or sign. The lady looked out the window and said she saw nothing in the yard or on the porch.

I guess it could just be a leaf, but I'm not buying it. I don't see any other leaves in the surrounding trees that even resemble that color. Do you? Maybe I'm missing it?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It is possible that it is paranormal.

We cannot count that out.

But due to the slight blurring of the image and what appears to have been printed in matt rather than gloss, the image itself has lost some quality so we are going to be hard pressed to determine exactly what it is.

Please don't forget that we don't always see everything that is in the shutter frame when we are setting up to take a picture. We are concentrating on placing the image we want to capture in the prefered manner, ie, 'in frame'.

Our attention is not always on everything that is in the picture. It is possible that it could be paranormal, but it's just so hard to determine exactly what.

One thing, I am so pleased you have used film and not digital. Because you have used film you can get a developer to do a resize print of the area in question, and get it done in gloss so you dont get that funny pixelation that matt paper tends to give. Once you have had the image resized and printed, come back and we may be able to work out what it could be..

Thank you for sharing it with us.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OokieSpookie

That being said when I get home I will clean it up and see what shakes loose.

Oh thanks, please do. I'd be interested in if you find anything. I guess it could just be a leaf or something else "falling", but I just don't buy it. The staff confirmed nothing was on the porch or in the yard that was yellow.

I'll await what you find with anticipation.

Thanks,
Q

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
One thing, I am so pleased you have used film and not digital. Because you have used film you can get a developer to do a resize print of the area in question, and get it done in gloss so you dont get that funny pixelation that matt paper tends to give. Once you have had the image resized and printed, come back and we may be able to work out what it could be..
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see about getting it blown up in gloss and post it again here once I do.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

From what I can see here, it does seem to be in front of the picket fence, and obviously above it.
It also appears to me that it is close to the fence and not near the lense.

Don't forget to be as specific as you want to be when you go to get the section blown up at the developers.. take the original photo with you so they can clearly see the area you want enlarged.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73d29bef5b96.png[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

From what I can see here, it does seem to be in front of the picket fence, and obviously above it.
It also appears to me that it is close to the fence and not near the lense.

Don't forget to be as specific as you want to be when you go to get the section blown up at the developers.. take the original photo with you so they can clearly see the area you want enlarged.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73d29bef5b96.png[/atsimg]

I was trying to blow it up just like you did and invert the colors. I can't get it to save while zoomed in. You can see the features (Hat, nose, arm, chin) better while zoomed even though it becomes more distorted. The inverted colors show up all white except the "ghost" and the light on the cottage which both show up as blue. Any idea what that means? If anything.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

What you feel to be the image of a hat, nose etc, could be nothing more than matrixing. Our brain is designed to recognise certain patterns, like a face for example. So when we see something, our brain tries to work out exactly what the image is, it is then that you get suggestions as to what it could be, from which you draw conclusions.

Inverting the image is a bit like changing it into a negative..
You wont really get too much more out of the image by doing that, but you never know, there might be someone else here who can perform amazing imagery tweeks

I can see what you mean though.. it's a bit like an old man stoped over doing the gardening
but, again, it's hard to say what it is or is not.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join