It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dylan's "bargian" with Satan.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Anamnesis

Don Mclean; American Pie

How very odd you should bring this up. Never mind the organ music
you can turn the volume down to read the fist page. then turn it back up for the second page. This site describes something exteremly meaningful about that song. A prophetic funeral hymn for America.

It's gripping to say the least.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by randyvs]

Ok wow...

I've always understood that song to be about the rise of Rock & Roll, starting w/Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Richie Valens. "The day the music died" is a reference to the plane crash that killed all three. The reason I posted that line from the song is because Dylan was known as "The Jester" and the "king" was Elvis.

Now that you mention it though, I've always thought that McLean's lyrics were somewhat inspired. Poetically, I think it's a masterwork. McLean never really had a hit song as big as "American Pie", he was what you might call a one hit wonder.

I visited the page link you provided but the good minister Roy fails to elaborate much on what he claims is hidden prophetic messages in the lyrics. Either Roy isn't all that familiar w/R&R history in the US or he knows something he's not telling us.

Randy... I would definitely be interested in reading more on that topic if you care to create a new thread about it... let me know if you do....

Edit to Add:

I looked up a photo of an original American Pie 45 and sure enough, the label has printed on it: "Yahweh Tunes, Inc. BMI"

I'm afraid we've highjacked this thread though... bad form I suppose. Apologies to the OP>

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Anamnesis]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I'm afraid we've highjacked this thread though... bad form I suppose. Apologies to the OP>
reply to post by Anamnesis

We're off topic but at least related. Not hijacked as I gave the thread a bump, but I agree with you. over unger. I should be theone apologising
it's my bad.

Begging your pardon sir.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
If I can help steer back on topic...

I've known about the stories of Robert Johnson and Bob Dylan for quite some time now but I still love their music. They speak to the heart and expose the soul of the human condition. Even if the stories are true, I think there is redemption in how they both used the talents granted. I'm mostly familiar with Dylan's work in the 60's and his active role in the Civil Rights movement.

To me, Dylan's "admission" is a metaphore that implies he has given up his entire existence to experience the suffering we all endure so that he may express it in a meaningful way. I think that's why his music is so profound, we can see something of ourselves in the songs.

Here's one of my favorites, an old folk song not written by Dylan but I dig this rendition.....

[edit on 11-3-2010 by Anamnesis]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I remember when he played the Isle of White festival in 1969 he was recovering from a broken neck at the time, he had changed! he kept the crowd all of 200,000 People waiting for nearly 3 hours! which included John Lennon, Harrison, and Hendrix, he had a big vibe with the cats running the show, he kept saying the money! lets see the money! before I play a note, a lot of people got pissed off with Bob that night! he opened with this great song i think i was stoned at the time, we all were....

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DCDAVECLARKE

I had all but forgotten his motorcycle accident.

On July 29, 1966, Dylan smashed up his Triumph 55 motorcycle while riding near his Woodstock, New York, home. With several broken neck vertebrae, a concussion, and lacerations of the face and scalp, he was reportedly in critical condition for a week and bedridden for a month, with aftereffects including amnesia and mild paralysis. Though the extent of Dylans' injuries was later questioned by biographers, he did spend nine months in seclusion. As he recovered, he and the Band recorded the songs that were widely bootlegged — and legitimately released in 1975 — as The Basement Tapes (Number Seven), whose droll, enigmatic, steeped-in-Americana sound would be continued by the Band on their own.

Source: RollingStone

Edit to Add: The "American Pie" lyrics elude to that accident in this line from the song:

"The players tried for a forward pass, with the Jester on the sidelines in a cast."
~Don McClean

The full biography article is worth a read. I was unaware that Dylan had written "All Along the Watchtower" which was later recorded by Jimmi Hendrix, until I read the Bio......

[edit on 12-3-2010 by Anamnesis]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by LiveForever8

Zatara

legba...at the crossroads maybe?........but never really thought it to be for real.

I oppose you here. I believe with everything I am. This is as real as it gets.

Sorry,..I do not understand in what context you oppose the quote and what you mean with what you wrote next.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by zatara]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a few of my favs

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
he said he made a pact with the "chief commander" sounds like he's talking about God, not the devil. The devil would be more like "chief rebel"

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yes... great choices there. The last video in the list reminds me...

The jacket that Dylan is wearing on that album cover is the same leather jacket that James Dean wore in "Rebel w/out a Cause".

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ancient_wisdom
he said he made a pact with the "chief commander" sounds like he's talking about God, not the devil. The devil would be more like "chief rebel"

That all depends on whos side you're on.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blender

Originally posted by ancient_wisdom

That all depends on whos side you're on.

Doesn't "the devil" have domion over the earthly realm? It's my undertsanding that he does.... given to him by Adam after his fall from grace.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone realize he is talking about the Italian mob? They controlled the music business back then. Haha the Devil. If he made a deal with him he would already be dead. Doesn't anyone watch movies? The proof is in the films. You don't make deals with the devil and live a life of luxury. You watch Gilmore Girls 24/7 in hotel room with warm, damp carpet on a TV with minor static interference with a sweaty, hefty, older man sitting next to you snoring while he is awake and there is nothing you can do about it because the doorknob turns but doesn't engage the opening mechanism.

All joking aside.......you just got milked by MilkMustache.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkmustache
Doesn't anyone realize he is talking about the Italian mob? They controlled the music business back then. Haha the Devil. If he made a deal with him he would already be dead. Doesn't anyone watch movies? The proof is in the films. You don't make deals with the devil and live a life of luxury. You watch Gilmore Girls 24/7 in hotel room with warm, damp carpet on a TV with minor static interference with a sweaty, hefty, older man sitting next to you snoring while he is awake and there is nothing you can do about it because the doorknob turns but doesn't engage the opening mechanism.

All joking aside.......you just got milked by MilkMustache.

You are a highly disturbed individual.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by Blender]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
maybe that's why he never got knocked off by the CIA cos even tho he says he was no political man his songs were clearly anti war and at a time it was Vietnam so him and Joan byas were lucky,
i bet money they were being very closely watched for there propaganda if it popped up in a song or whatever. you think?

me i liked the old stuff him and Joan did even tho i'm only 37, my mother ardors him so that's probably where i heard it all on her record player.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blender

Originally posted by Pakd-on-mystery
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Where are you getting satan from? I read my post three times, and i can not find the word "satan" in it.
I don't know what he is talking about, all I know is that he is telling the truth

Again, people assume hes talking about Satan, because Satan is the only "commander in chief" of a "world we don't see" that is known for making "bargians" promising wealth, fame, and power.

Ok, from what you've just said I would like to make a quick comparison for everyone of the two characters. One the figurehead of Good and the other of Bad, both being one tree of knowledge, not life.

Jesus....Prince of peace
Satan....Prince of this world

Jesus....King of Kings
Satan....Commander in Chief

Jesus....World we don't see (thought this assumption is wrong)
Satan....World we don't see

Jesus....Bargains for your soul offering "Salvation"
Satan....Bargains for your soul offering "Your Wishes"

One is his right hand and one is his left, together they clap and make one sound.

Jesus means "self existent salvation"
Satan means "adversary"

Jesus said, "All those you have given to me, I have kept, all but one, that is the son of perdition". Why could he not keep that one? Because he is that one.

Jesus said, "If satan be against satan, his kingdom can not stand". Jesus died after saying "not MY WILL, but YOUR WILL be done". If Jesus was not against Jesus he would have done his own will and not been killed.

Jesus and Satan being the ARC of the temple must stand against themself, being the same person in order to be the "Capstone". This is the census of David being told of God in one version and of Satan in the other to take census of the people of Israel, they being the same story and the same being, who creates evil and forms light....You, all of you alive together. You create.

You be the judge. Jesus said "who made me divider over you?"

One can not know the true benefit of Good without also knowing the true evil of bad or they would not be apposed but walk together.

Jesus himself said "I am the bright and morning star" who is Lucifer. He is the light barer and is the light of all men coming into the world. His mark is that of Cain, the cross.

It's like this. When you have the light on your face, people can see it, thus knowing your face. When you have your back to the person, even if the light is on you, people will be unsure who you are and doubt that it is you, even though they think they know you, they will doubt themselves needing the confirmation of the light on your face.

"When I became the son, I shown love into the man's heart"...S.O.A.D.

Peace

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMSN

As for God or Jesus making deals I beg to differ as the biggest deal he has is accept me as your Savior and I will let you come live with me in Heaven....the ultimate deal so to speak, so who's to say Bob didn't make a deal with God and had it come out all good for him but again no where in that video does he ever mention the devil.

If you aren't of the opinion that Dylan is implying he made a deal with the devil, that's fine. However, that is no cause for you to state you believe the OP has presented an "edited" video designed to mislead.

From what I see, Dylan is suggesting he made a deal with the devil and he doesn't express a sense of being thrilled with it. Maybe the devil is the music industry, maybe the devil is just the devil--red face, horns, trident, and all...

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Here's a post someone put online..

Anyway, I actually heard Bob say in another interview that he DID sell his soul to the devil, and that he told his friends and they all recall him saying that. He went to "The Crossroads", which is a legendary intersection in Mississippi. It's on Highway 61 (Another hint, since his album was called Highway 61 REVISITED (Meaning he already visited it once before....), and is also where bluesman Robert Johnson was said to have sold his soul to the devil in exchange for mastery of the blues. So Bob himself has mentioned it twice, and his friends have as well. Who knows...

Also, from Wikipedia

The junction of Highway 61 and Highway 49 in Clarksdale is designated as the famous crossroads where, according to legend, Robert Johnson supposedly sold his soul to the Devil in exchange for mastery of the blues. A 30 mile section of Highway 61 between Clarksdale and Tunica is the longest segment of highway in the world with no horizontal or vertical curves.

So I think either Dylan liked the story and mythology surrounding RJ's alleged "Deal" with the devil and furthered it a little himself..... or he really did sell his soul to the devil.

But I highly doubt the latter.

[edit on 15/3/10 by blupblup]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Interesting. I suppose first one must actually believe the fiction of being able to "sell your soul to the devil" is a real and viable option for mere humans. A contract that was and is ficticious.

Does one call him on the phone to schedule an appointment? Hey, beelzebub dude, meet me at the crossroads in Mississippi Saturday night.
I've got something you might be interested in.

Utter nonsense.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by angeldoll

Utter nonsense.

Indeed... as was the original story surrounding Robert Johnson.
But people like to believe in these things... :shk:

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Well the interpretation of what he said is quite amazing on some replies here.

Infact Faux News would be proud, and maybe there is jobs at Psyops for many.

HE NEVER said what everyone is saying, and I find it quite funny all the debate when all you have to do is see the entire interview and in front of you the entire OP premise is shattered,

Anyhow as some say of Bob Dylan being a "Drug Addict" couldnt be spiritual or love Jesus/God mmmm.

How about this "High" Bob then?

I suppose someone will say he is praising the devil or in league lol?

On Bob Dylan, it must be said it did turn out he had shares in the arms manufactureres in vietnam, even though he did the anti war rallies. he always said he had no idea and was just a portfolio his advisors did for him.

Kind Regards,

Elf.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join