It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Icelanders Appear Likely to Reject $5.3 Billion Deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Icelanders Appear Likely to Reject $5.3 Billion Deal

www.nytimes.com

Brigitta Jonsdottir, a member of Parliament from the fledgling people-power Civic Movement Party, said that a “no” vote would send a strong message to the world.

First, she said: “We don’t believe in the socialization of private debt.” Second: “It is time for Britain to treat us like a sovereign nation and not a colony.” And third: “They can’t use the I.M.F. to blackmail us into doing what they want on Icesave.”

But it seems they can.

The I.M.F. and a coalition of Nordic countries have delayed the second installment of a $4.85 billion bailout package for Iceland pe
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

That some Icelanders seem willing to take the consequences — to risk becoming “the Cuba of the north,” in the words of Mr. Skulason — speaks to an element embedded deep in the national character. The symbol of this is Bjartur, the protagonist of Iceland’s most celebrated work of fiction, “Independent People,” by Halldor Laxness (who is also the only person here to have won a Nobel Prize).

WOW!!!! The Icelandic people and parliament are UPSET! They are doing what the rest of the world refuses to do -- Speaking up for the rights of the people to not be EXPLOITED by the bankers that own us all.

Many Icelanders see Saturday’s vote as an expression of outrage not just against foreign interference but also against Icelandic bankers. These were the so-called Vikings who at the height of the boom, ran wild around the world making complicated, house-of-cards deals and encouraging a once-prudent population to buy bigger houses and fancy cars in foreign currency

Let's keep an eye on what happens!!!!! Finally, people are doing what the rest of us can only dream of. I cannot say how much respect I have for the Icelandic people and their representatives at this moment.

Could they become "Cuba of the north" ????

I love these people!!!! I want the world behind them!!!
Their actions may empower the rest of us to speak out when it's our turn.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: Typo.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by LostNemesis]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
more and more people are starting to realize the truth the banking elite dont care about the average person, we need to put the same pressure that they did on our politicians so they can feel the fire under there ass's, i wonder how they will respond the elites when everybody well no longer buy into there bull# anymore, you can feel the tension in the air the its coming down all around them, Globalization has failed there must and is a better way viva la revolution, but let it be in a peaceful way

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by truth_of_truth

We are waking up. Maybe it will accelerate as the bankers/elite exploit more and more of the world's wealth, taking it away from the citizens that worked hard to create it.

We can peacefully just stop feeding the beast, and they will no longer have this power over us. Like I said before, we just have to stop worshipping their "money".
Worthless paper that controls every aspect of our lives, and gives them absolute control over the entire world's resources....
I hope karma is especially swift in dealing with these people.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

exactly the only reason why money has value is because we believe it has value the funny part is that the paper is not backed by gold, the elites well start to move faster and try and suck more money from our pockets and as they do more and more people well start to be fed up, i guess we should just wait for the elites to push to far, but lets help them on the way shall we

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It is not them who should pay for those who risked their savings to the Icesave bankruptcy, it is the bankers who created this chaos. If I commit a crime, I go to jail, why aren't our prisons full of bankers? It is even worse: they are paid for their crimes and many didn't even apologize. What a flawed logic is this.

Unfortunately, much more needs to happen for people to get as mad as they are in Greece. Who knows. I don't believe this system is gonna last for much longer.

People aren't how they normally are when a ship sinks, so perhaps its the people themselves who are going to punish these bankers.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Someone give this gal a medal!

I wish all politicians would be like her... STANDING UP FOR HER PEOPLE... Truly refreshing!

Good luck to the icelanders!

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The fact is, we in Britain, have paid (out of our own money) to compensate icesave customers in the United Kingdom. Iceland now owe us money because the government couldn't afford to bail out their own system-at the time. We footed their bill.

The Dutch and other countries, did the same.

Their banking system failed, and we paid for it. It's not a conspiracy, I just want my money back.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by infinite]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

No offense intended, but these people are just as much victims to these bankers' thefts as the rest of us.
You didn't choose to go into immense debt, just to indebt the Icelanders to the banking elite.
The same as they didn't choose to become silenced slaves to the same banking elite.

WE didn't pay for or choose to create any of this mess. The banking elite did, and accomplished exactly what they wanted.

Now instead of realizing that they have enslaved us, it's obvious the mainstream media has citizens pointing at citizens in other countries, for the whole mess we are all in.

Anything to keep the attention off those who ACTUALLY caused all this.

I am seriously disappointed that anyone believes that the Icelanders intentionally ripped them off and caused the world's problems. They are just as innocent as the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Their banking system failed, and we paid for it. It's not a conspiracy, I just want my money back.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by infinite]

Blame our banks, they are all involved, they are all responsible and should be forced to transfer at least 90% of their profits back for as long as necessary to our governments. They should burn. It would bring in plenty of money so that these people can be paid back.

[edit on 5-3-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

I accept and support your point of view however the point of infinite's was British Tax Payers have bailed out Iceland! Of course this is the British voters fault for having elected Gordon Brown and his buddies. It will be interesting when the British elections come around to see if the British re-elects the labour government.

If Labour is re-elected then it will become double the voters fault that the British tax payer lost their money!!!!!

Bankers including the Federal Reserve have profiteered on all of the taxpayers of the world.

Never-the-less the British taxpayer is out of pocket to Iceland's benefit is what I feel infinite was trying to point out!

Sorry infinite if I got your point incorrectly. I gave both of you stars as I think I understand both points of views.

[edit on 3/6/2010 by IceHappy]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
As John Galt urged (From Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged) - deny them access to your intellectual gifts and you will starve them and kill them!

Good for you Iceland!
The "Too big to fail" institutions MUST, in fact, fail if we are ever to be free!

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Of course it is the world bankers who are the crooks here.

But Iceland took British Tax Payers money.

Remember it is not all of the British Tax Payers fault either, except, for electing the Labour Party into government. Having said that, not all of the British Tax Payer voted for the Labour Party! The Labour Party did not win 100% of all votes!

British Tax Payers paid and Iceland took the money!!!

Why should the British Tax Payer be out of pocket?

Maybe Iceland should refund this British payment and then I would be 100000000% totally on your side of view.

edited for bad grammer as always its still not correct but hope you can see where I am coming from.

[edit on 3/6/2010 by IceHappy]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I applaud the people of Iceland just as I do the people of Greece and others around the world who are FINALLY taking notice of how their futures are at stake because of the hands of a greedy few.

I hope it works out for them. I think everyone should as well. If we are going to defeat these criminals we have to see past national, ethnic, and religious differences.

Whether you are an Icelander, Greek, American, Iranian - we all face the same fate once these bankers accomplish what they want to accomplish. If we do not see past these petty differences and use our very great strength in numbers, we deserve what we have coming to us.

new topics

top topics

join