It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama aides mull September 11 suspect military trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Obama aides mull September 11 suspect military trial

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Advisers to President Barack Obama are close to recommending that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the self-professed mastermind of the September 11, 2001, attacks, be tried in a military tribunal instead of a civilian court, the Washington Post reported on Thursday.

This would be a reversal of Attorney General Eric Holder's plan for Mohammed and four other suspects in the 2001 attacks to stand trial in a civilian court in New York City.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I think this is good news for the people of New York City. I used to live in the metro area and have many friends that witnessed the attack and some had family members lost. Everyone in New York City and New Jersey it seemed had some kind of tie to someone lost on that fateful day.

I would not want to see them have to live with this trial in their city blocks from the site. Very emotional for them still.

I am not sure what venue would be best for justice, military or civilian. Just not there.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Source:

"If this stunning reversal comes to pass, President Obama will deal a death blow to his own Justice Department, not to mention American values," Anthony Romero, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, said in a statement.

That would be sweet but..

Remember, these are only aids who give advise to Obama. Obama is young and inexperienced in world affairs but he is not likely to change his mind easily.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Yes I know, just the aides are saying it now. I would be surprised if he sided with the want's and needs of the people. So far he has a good track record of doing the exact opposite of what the people say they want.

Here is a snippet from just under a month ago.

Obama administration officials have stressed they prefer prosecuting the 9/11 suspects in criminal courts, but they have never definitively ruled out the option of shifting them back to military commission trials.

The Obama administration has maintained that most foreign terrorism suspects have been prosecuted successfully in federal criminal courts.

Reuters

Keep them guessing.

new topics

top topics

join