It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Berg Reversals include Mil abreviations. Help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
If I'm in the wrong forum, let me know - but I know you guys love military nomenclature...

I've managed to talk my way into a group project researching the audio component of the Berg execution video. The methodology is Reverse Speech, an intelligence gathering tool of fascinating power. Originally the audio was so bad that getting good reversals was difficult. Happily we've now located a noise-reduction filter that has greatly increased the intelligibility of the material. We are getting some pretty good stuff.

Theories about Berg's family and connections making him a target seem to have some legs here, although the primary purpose was to create a propaganda vehicle. The natural born killer who pretends to be the leader is clearly a low-level military intelligence type, and his subconscious is quite chatty. In English, of course. We actually believe he gives his own name, something that no one even hoped for, because it is so rare.

Anyway, we need help with abbreviations. I'll give you two now, and if they seem to make sense to anyone I'll supply more as they are uncovered. The two we are looking for right now are: E.D.I. and P.B.O..

Context:

1) "Freaky" Data describing the Berg family as "commies" came from "E.D.I."

2) The killer recognizes someone, presumably an officer, as "his P.B.O."

Accuracy:
All info is phonetic, so all words and letters are "sounds like" - through some noise. This means that a close fit can be entertained, and checked against the original audio to see if it is a better interpretation.

This is not particularly urgent, since the data is not going away. Take your time and see what you can come up with.

And thanks for your help!

[Edited on 31-5-2004 by Strider]

Started this in the Weapons forum, hoping for military enthusiasts.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Strider]

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I've just been reminded that the "officer" designation for PBO is strictly an assumption. PBO may also indicate P-B-Operator.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I thought everybody know Berg was a Mossad agent, no commie or something like that ...

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Could you please check to see if E.E.I. fits better than E.D.I.

EEI = Essential Elements of Information

www.periscope.ucg.com...

Then for PBO also check PCO (Prospective Commanding Officer - Navy) and PVO (Air Defense Forces - Soviet, which there has been speculation of Russians so this might be important).

Also, since I haven't got a clue what you're talking about, could you provide more info on your work?

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
OK. In a nutshell, normal speech is composed and produced by the left brain hemisphere. The right brain was always assummed to be silent. Turns out that the subconscious also speaks, and because it connects through the opposite (right) hemisphere, the sounds are reversed. Buried inside normal speech, they can be found by listening to normal speech played backwards and slower. This requires discipline and a lot of patience. You can learn about it at www.reversespeech.com a site created by the original discoverer. This posting is NOT about RS, only to get help with current terms in military use - perhaps only within the intelligence field.

With E.D.I., the word "data" is also used, so we are theorizing that it might refer to "electronic defense intelligence", referring to a resource. The "D" is firm. Occassionally the very first consonent can disappear, so there is a slight chance that the "E" could be tee, pee, dee, bee, etc.

P.B.O. is pretty firm, and appears in a statment, "there's my PBO". This is common in situations where a speaker sees other people entering a room, while he is speaking. It occurs often enough in the Berg tape to imply that the room extends some distance to the rear, behind the cameras, or may even have a glass wall as in photos from the prison, and people are visible to the speaker as they pass by.

Remember, these terms are going to be current terms, used now, and less likely to be found in historical contexts.

Regarding Berg's actual role, there is only the very short segment of him speaking in some sort of interrogation. There is only enough material there to suggest that there is some question about his actual identity. He may have been adopted into the Berg family, for instance. I'm not the one working on that, however, so that's the limit of what I know at this time.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Actually you can only speculate that listening to normal speech played backwards and slower is your subconscious speaking. This seems rather Freudian to me, and there is no way at the time to know if this whole reverse speech thing is true or not.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I have learned that the most common use of P.B.O. is "Property Book Officer", usually a junior Lieutenant who must sign for, and account for, all of a unit's equipment. Virtually all military units have one. If this is the meaning in this case, it is somewhat disappointing. I'm still hoping for something that might be more informative regarding the TYPE of unit, or its mission.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xenophon
This seems rather Freudian to me, and there is no way at the time to know if this whole reverse speech thing is true or not.

Sigmund Freud never made any such postulation.

But these guys do:

www.reversespeech.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Yes, although I used the word "subconscious" in my brief description, I also don't believe it is the best word to describe where reversals come from. I actually prefer the term "unconscious". However I use RS extensively and find that while some reversals clearly come from deep or hidden sources, about half seem to represent brief, surface thoughts that flit through our conscious mind even when we are primarily thinking about something else.

Sometimes the meaning is quite baffling, since you don't know what prompted a thought, or what it is referring to. Some however are pure gold, and that's what makes it such an interesting tool.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xenophon
Actually you can only speculate that listening to normal speech played backwards and slower is your subconscious speaking. This seems rather Freudian to me, and there is no way at the time to know if this whole reverse speech thing is true or not.

The simplest way to evaluate the methodolgy is to record yourself, perhaps while someone asks you a few questions. Then see if the reversals you find make sense.

top topics

join