It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the NBA rigged?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
Man, don't even try to post no conspiracy theory about the Lakers winning that game.

Oh, wait- let's talk about all those FOULS in the second quarter the Lakers were called with. That is a CONSPIRACY.

Kobe with 3
Shaq with 4

Give me a break.

You just made my point. How is it that Shaq goes in the 4th quarter with 5 fouls, Malone has 5 as well, and Kobe has 3. And none of them fouled out. Yet Garnett went in the 4th quarter with 2 fouls and fouled out. Explain how the refs, who supposedly are easy when it comes to big players in fould trouble, let Kobe, Shaq, and Malone slide, but not Garnett? I mean come one Malone is the dirtiest player in the game, he fouled like crazy, he always hacks people. And the refs don't say squat. You can say maybe, just MAYBE the Lakers are better than the Timberwolves, but the Spurs? The Spurs won 17 games in a row. 17! And then they lose 4 in a row? And one of the biggest debates in NBA history about the .4 seconds left for Derek Fischer's game winning-shot? He grabbed the ball and turned around, then shot. Either he is "The Flash" or that clock never started. A petition, a petition was started amongst NBA fans on that shot. Whatever, I'll talk tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Yes, Virginia, the NBA is rigged. Anyone who thinks it isn't, doesn't pay attention to the network sponsors bottom line profits.

Its a business, they tell us. Oh, yeah, it's a business all right. Chock full of blind referrees, line judges who can't tell a boundry line from cheap shot.
It's got timers that don't start when they're supposed to, guys in black and white stripe shirts and black pants who don't know how to count off three seconds, and a commission who is probably building his own fall out shelter in Jackson Hole, Wy next door to Dick Cheney.

Do I give a flip? Hell no. It's a game, stupid. Just a stupid, idiotic game of round ball that is served up to the sheeple to keep them as pacified as the spectators at the Coliseum were during the fall of Rome.

For what it's worth, I hate the Lakers. But ohhhhh how TPTB love those boys in yellow and blue.

I for one will be delighted if a major tsunami comes along and wipes out the Staples Arena and all of its fans during the Finals. That would be poetic justice in my book. An act of God proving that that fat bunch of La La Land don't even rate in the order of demi-gods. They're just boys that never grew up to take on real jobs like the rest of the world.

It's a game. Children play games, get it?

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Why the hell not? Alot of other things are: Wrestling, "free-nations" & Presidential elections (i.e.-Bush)

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
"wrestling" is sports entertainment so its supposed to be rigged but i cant grasp the fact that people think the NBA is rigged as Ilmatic stated earlier the richest franchises get the best players thats all.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by radstar
Yes, Virginia, the NBA is rigged. Anyone who thinks it isn't, doesn't pay attention to the network sponsors bottom line profits.

Its a business, they tell us. Oh, yeah, it's a business all right. Chock full of blind referrees, line judges who can't tell a boundry line from cheap shot.
It's got timers that don't start when they're supposed to, guys in black and white stripe shirts and black pants who don't know how to count off three seconds, and a commission who is probably building his own fall out shelter in Jackson Hole, Wy next door to Dick Cheney.

Do I give a flip? Hell no. ...

blather pointless rants and other general stupidity inserted here ...

It's a game. Children play games, get it?

And strange old men who envy the large amounts of money these grown children have make inflamatory posts on the internet. What was your point? You say sheeple when here you sit with us droves of uninformed uneducated people who dont know a basketball from a flying saucer. Why arent you out there trying to save the world? too busy with your low paying menial job to go save all the stupid people from the clutches of evil? Enough with the garbage leave it at the curb.

The lakers won because they had the best team in basketball. Like the yankees, when you have all the money and can afford the best players in the game you should win. I personally think it laughable that the bronx bombers lost but thats neither here nor there, as is this moot discussion on whether the NBA throws games to let the lakers win. Lets move on to the more important discussions like reptillian subcultures running the US through a mind drone george bush.

oh and did anybody notice drunk's avatar looks like jason kidd? lol just thought that was funny.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Aero]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MKugs
You just made my point. How is it that Shaq goes in the 4th quarter with 5 fouls, Malone has 5 as well, and Kobe has 3. And none of them fouled out. Yet Garnett went in the 4th quarter with 2 fouls and fouled out. Explain how the refs, who supposedly are easy when it comes to big players in fould trouble, let Kobe, Shaq, and Malone slide, but not Garnett? I mean come one Malone is the dirtiest player in the game, he fouled like crazy, he always hacks people. And the refs don't say squat. You can say maybe, just MAYBE the Lakers are better than the Timberwolves, but the Spurs? The Spurs won 17 games in a row. 17! And then they lose 4 in a row? And one of the biggest debates in NBA history about the .4 seconds left for Derek Fischer's game winning-shot? He grabbed the ball and turned around, then shot. Either he is "The Flash" or that clock never started. A petition, a petition was started amongst NBA fans on that shot. Whatever, I'll talk tomorrow.

Man, you are so wrong.

KG fouled out in the fourth quarter because the Wolves were just fouling the Lakers to get them to the line and stop the clock. How many times did KG foul a Laker on purpose? Like 2 or 3 which is the reason why he fouled out.

The Spurs lost four times in a row well guess what, it's PLAYOFF BASKETBALL.

And the Derek Fisher shot with .04 seconds has already been debunked by all sports shows like Sportscenter and PTI.

All these shows replayed the shot back to and back and in slow motion and the clock DID start right when he caught the ball and the RED LIGHT went off as Derek Fisher had already released the ball.

The rule is the ball has to be out of the man's hand before the red light goes off, not the buzzer, and the ball was clearly out of his hands.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It's difficult to see how an NBA game could be rigged. So many people would have to be in on it, and we all know how secrets are kept so well. ANybody ever play Telephone... Anyway, I can see how one would view the NBA and professional sports as a form of slavery. This topic deserves to be on ATS, because I've read that all major sports were a part of the overall plan for world dominence. Something about keeping the masses entertained, while "dirt" is done right under our Playoff watching, American Idol voting noses.

I love the NBA though, Go Knicks.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I have no proof that a single game may be rigged but there is definately referee bias favoring and disadvantaging certain players. Your super stars routinely get away with travelling and get more than their fair share of calls going their way.

My favorite player of all time, Dennis Rodman, was a prime example of how your reputation influences the ref calls. Funnily enough Dennis Rodman showed them all and was on many of those championship teams posted at the beginning of this thread. I believe he has more rings than most players in NBA history.

But the main pattern I see with those championship teams is the coach......namely Phil Jackson. He understands that to win championships over a long period of time your role players are way more important than your superstars. Who is going to get your rebounds? Who is going to play tough defense? Who is going to nail the 3 pointer when your superstar is double/triple teamed? Who is going to dribble the ball down the court with an experienced head when the game is very close?

It is no surprise that Jackson is always the favorite to win the championship and no surprise he likes to use the same role players and often signs them up from his old teams.

Now if the idiotic management at my Portland Trailblazers could understand this today we would be doing alot better.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

The Lakers have the best big man in the game and that is one of the reasons why they alwways win.

How many good talented centers are there in the NBA? Only one and he plays for the Lakers.

Ummm.... Yao Ming? Mutumbo? Theo Ratliff? (Theo plays both 4&5 depending on the matchup)

C'mon, Shaq is certainly great, but he is not the only talented big man.

As far as the games being rigged...I lean towards no, but you never can be 100% certain.
Jordan certainly recieved preferential treatment from the Refs, but most likely that was because he was elevating the league. His playing well was vital to NBA's health.

On an interesting related note, I got to know a retired NHL player and he told me that they were told by the league off the record to go easy on Gretzky. Simply because what Gretzky was doing for Hockey was the same thing Jordan was doing for the NBA. Elevating the sport and bringing in the new fans in droves.

So maybe there is some inside control.....esp when someone's playing well might benefit the league in the long run. ie. The big picture.....

~Face

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrdependable

It is no surprise that Jackson is always the favorite to win the championship and no surprise he likes to use the same role players and often signs them up from his old teams.

Jackson also gets alot of respect from the players because he has a ring himself won with my beloved Knicks... the '73 team was arguably one of the best "teams" to ever play. That was where Jackson, himself a role-player, learned "team-work." ........which reminds me, Knicks forever!

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Well I would say Shaq is only of mediocre talent. While not the tallest man in the NBA his girth offers him a huge advantage. If he were say 6 inches shorter he wouldnt even be in the league. As my Dad likes to say he is just a big gorilla. Kobe definately has talent although nowhere near other hall of famers.

As for someone posting the richest teams dominate the league my woeful Trailblazers had the highest payroll in the league this year and couldn't even make the playoffs. It's all about 1-2 superstars who can get you good shots the majority of the game, veterans to do the dirty work (defense, rebounds and clutch shots straight off the bench) and 1-2 energy players you can bring on for 2-3 mins to change game momentum.

Without doubt the best 2 defenders of Shaq in recent history have been Vlade Divac and Dennis Rodman (both alot smaller but both alot smarter). Send them both up to Oregon please!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Kobe definately has talent although nowhere near other hall of famers.

What? Have you been watching the Lakers at all this year. Kobe IS playing Hall-of-Fame level ball. He has pulled some moves in the last month that I have not seen the likes of since Jordan retired. (well, maybe T-MAC too
Many HOF players, Drexler, West, Hakim...... have raved about Kobe's game.

I do agree about Shaq's talent level, but he has done pretty good with what talent he has. I would love him to be on my Knicks.... just as anyone else would love to have him on their team.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I believe he has more rings than most players in NBA history.

Bill Russel has the most championship rings in NBA history with 11. I think he has the most out of all the four major sports in the USA.

Ummm.... Yao Ming? Mutumbo? Theo Ratliff? (Theo plays both 4&5 depending on the matchup)

C'mon, Shaq is certainly great, but he is not the only talented big man.

Yao ming???? are you serious???

Mutumbo??? Ratliff? Please. No one can guard Shaq one to one in the low post.

Kobe IS playing Hall-of-Fame level ball. He has pulled some moves in the last month that I have not seen the likes of since Jordan retired. (well, maybe T-MAC too Many HOF players, Drexler, West, Hakim...... have raved about Kobe's game.

Don't even get me started on the Kobe/McGrady rivarly. Kobe kills McGrady every game.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Kobe kills McGrady every game.

Dont forget his other "game" in Colorado.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
Dont forget his other "game" in Colorado.

Wow.

That was a dumb post.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Wow.

That was a dumb post.

It was only reflective of the quality of the material that prompted its inception.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
It was only reflective of the quality of the material that prompted its inception.

No, it's not. While I spoke about a rivarly in professional sports you went all the way around and tried to make a clever statement that had nothing to do with the "material that prompted its inception..."

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

No, it's not. While I spoke about a rivarly in professional sports you went all the way around and tried to make a clever statement that had nothing to do with the "material that prompted its inception..."

You spoke about someones game, and I then made a snide comment about Kobe's "macking game" in Colorado.

P.S This is the point where your supposed to flip out and lecture us all about how uber old school you are and how you get shown no repsect.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Don't even get me started on the Kobe/McGrady rivarly. Kobe kills McGrady every game.

hey i object to that, its only because the lakers have 3 hall of fame players and 1 future hall of famer, the magic cant guard that so of course kobe dominates, now if grant hill played like he used to they might be able to have a chance next year- maybe - though the lakers are aged, the big guys will retire fairly soon :p

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Yao ming???? are you serious???

Yes I am serious. I am talking about a player's all around game, not one dimension of a game. You made an incorrect, blanket statement that there was only one talented center in the league.

I agree, in the low post Shaq is very hard to defend against. But if you recall during their first meeting,(which I closely watched) Yao very cleanly blocked Shaq's first three shot attempts. Serious as a heart attack. They beat the Lakers and Yao had a double-double. Not bad for a rookie from the other side of the planet who barely speaks the lanquage and has 8 less years experience than Shaq. Yao is a superstar in the making. Yao already has a better basic-fundamental game and get this.... he makes his foul shots.
Give the guy two or three more years to adapt and develop. He is just getting started....

T-Mac is incredible. I think Kobe has a better all-around game, but Kobe does not "kill" T-mac. I think you would see a better game if Tracy had an actual team to play with.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Facefirst]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join