It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm pissed!! (political trolls and hacks)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I see another website in the works
Abovetopsecret
Belowtopsecret
Abovepolitics

think about it

add: Attacking a person for their political stand is like attacking a person for their choice of chicken or fish...it if anything shows the intellect of the person attacking than the person they are attacking.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by SaturnFX]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I think it's kind of hard not to at least end up dabbling in trolling, when the majority of our sources are from the mainstream media that seems to have written the book on it.

Some of the stuff that people say on here is just plain stupid but I hope at least a little flexibility is allowed, because what you will find happening as a result of this, i think, is everytime somebody doesn't like what they hear they cry troll.

and trolls aren't all bad....check out this dude..he lives about 5 minutes walking from me....

Aurora Troll

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

been there done that....

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I'm sorry it had to come to this...

However outside of real Trolls, I've seen people bulldoze their way through threads calling anybody who doesn't agree with their stance or the majority view on a topic as a "TROLL" then it degrades into a pissing/mud slinging contest.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

Hey Krazy, people like you kept me here. Star for you.

I can be a troll, I have tried to discourage myself from going that way. Members like you keep me on the straight and narrow.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Politics has a place just like any other .... its just the playing field in which you choose to play it ... Abovetopsecret.com is not a political site, Posting political ideologies is a waste of time and space here. This is purely a site for approving or disputing or affirming the existence of conspiracy in; political, UFO, weaponry, education.... etc It is not a place to wave a flag and proclaim a political party or explicitly political view as a proverbial messiah. Its a knowledge pool not a cesspit.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I agree completely SO. The line between political debate and hate mongering is not as narrow as some of the "confused" seem to think it is.

Philisophical differences can be discussed with civility. I think that the biggest part of the problem comes from painting with the wide brush. Smashing everyone into one group or another.

You can easily identify these threads and posts usually within just a few posts. We can debate we can even argue but mudslinging and philisophical character assasinations just have no place on ATS.

Just my opinion though.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
S&F!

Great thread

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

For the majority of our members who care and see these fools in threads, don't respond to their low-brow partisan tactics... in fact, don't respond at all... kill them with silence.

[edit on 25/2/10 by plutoxgirl]

link   
Maybe you should just handing out temp post bans till people get the point? I do recognize that you are a site owner and that your opinion carries a lot of weight here on ATS however, just by telling members to ignore people who post in the manner only shows that the mods and admins are giving up (to some degree) the moderation of the boards. Name calling and political baiting is in clear violation of the T&Cs and members who persist in those activities should be banned as part of the agreement they made when they registered here.
This current solution of ignoring the problem will not change anything it will just be another method used to insult people.
"we are suposed to ignore trolls, so i am not going to talk to you and nobody else should either" Expect to see that tossed around on the boards a lot.
At the top of all the boards there is some notice of what the board is for like this one is

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of the state of divisive politics in the US including political ideology, politicians, political figures, politics in the media, and speculation of conspiracy theories related to the divisive state

What i see lacking in many threads (not just this board) is the lack of conspiracy in the threads and in some cases the word conspiracy is just tacked on and the threads are really just soapbox preaching made to gain stars and flags while making the opposing crowd angry. I believe the problem you are having here in this board is a problem accross ATS. ATS is becoming less and less conspiracy related and slowly just becoming a place for people to argue about religion, polotics and everything else. The alternative substances board is heavily moderated and most threads there are closed because they lack conspiracy and are just people posting about marijuana advocacy. So i know the staff has the ability to strictly moderate the boards so why no do that for all the boards? ATS needs to get back to conspiracy and move everything else to BTS.

link   
reply to post by conspiracyrus

Hey, I did not even know half of what I do now in the cesspit you call the political section we have here.

Mods, members and even my opponents have opened my eyes.

I am sorry if you do not see it.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Applause! It is a shame how people crave attention. They'll just say or do about anything to grab it. We all have to stay vigilant and identify these "perps" instead of adding gasoline to the fire.

Cave Troll!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Dear boss, I totally don't get it. You did not give one single example. Are we not supposed to call Obama names any more? That takes away all the fun of political chat, and resembles (very much) communist atmosphere. Lame Stream Media insults people every day (see Sarah Palin). Politics has shows like "Hard ball" because in politics, everything is allowed (like in love). Now, if you can't speak openly on a web forum, then what is the point of a discussion?

I hardly write about politics here, but your post is clearly an odd one, and very hard to understand. Why don't you really say what you wanted to say? Why so abstract? You are not going to take it any more....what? What is the whole team upset with? Give one single example, so that the world knows what you are talking about.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
Hey Krazy, people like you kept me here. Star for you.

I can be a troll, I have tried to discourage myself from going that way. Members like you keep me on the straight and narrow.

I appreciate that bro. Sometimes things get to even the best of us. Keep your head and remember that we almost always have more time.

As always...

Peace
KJ

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Thanks for saying something. This has gotten so out of control that I finally blocked politics and all political comments.

I would say that we here, and I speak only for myself,, would be much better off if you did away altogether with anything related to politics and religion. just my .02 worth. These threads are nothing more that verbal battles.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by herbivore
Why so abstract?

Is it really that difficult to understand we're referring to politically-inspired insults, baiting, and trolling directed toward other members or the membership at large?

Really?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by herbivore

You are not going to take it any more....what? What is the whole team upset with? Give one single example, so that the world knows what you are talking about.

Applause! Can anyone tell me how we should approach the political forums in the manner that Skeptic would like to see?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Originally posted by Sean48

Someone explain breifly what a troll is?

New to site (2 months) and don't want to do it unknowingly.

Sure thing, Sean.

A troll is someone who posts an inflammatory comment to solely provoke an emotional response and disrupt the conversation.

And to some, that could mean just having a different point of view that angers or dissatisfies. It's a very fine line for some. But if you choose your words carefully you can usually have some good debate on the issues without being accused of being a troll.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Perhaps we can shame them.
Troll points as opposed to stars. Or little trolls lined up.
Kind of like negative points.
That would be fun!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by herbivore
Dear boss, I totally don't get it. You did not give one single example. Are we not supposed to call Obama names any more? That takes away all the fun of political chat, and resembles (very much) communist atmosphere. Lame Stream Media insults people every day (see Sarah Palin). Politics has shows like "Hard ball" because in politics, everything is allowed (like in love). Now, if you can't speak openly on a web forum, then what is the point of a discussion?

I hardly write about politics here, but your post is clearly an odd one, and very hard to understand. Why don't you really say what you wanted to say? Why so abstract? You are not going to take it any more....what? What is the whole team upset with? Give one single example, so that the world knows what you are talking about.

Thanks.

I think I can explain short and sweet.

1) Keep it on topic, if you want to run off on a tangent, start your own thread.

2) Do not provoke simply to provoke or in an attempt to personally wound another poster

3) Vigorous discussion is ENCOURAGED here, but there is a point in which things cease to become about the subject (another way to say keep it topical and NOT personal)

4) Maintaining basic civility does not, in any way, curtail one's ability to debate a topic rigorously.

5) "Trying to get a rise out of someone" is called baiting. This does not support intellectual debate is has no place in rational discussions.

Peace
KJ

[edit on 25-2-2010 by KrazyJethro]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
You tell them Bill! Smite them down with you're god like powers!! RAIN THUNDER BOLTS DOWN ON THE MASSES!!!

REPENT!!!!!!!!

But I totally agree with you Bill, I feel you're pain.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join