It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Croat scientist warns ice age could start in five years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I don't know if any of this is true but i live in UK and to me anyway it is getting colder now i can not remember a winter as cold as this.

Croat scientist warns ice age could start in five years

A leading scientist has revealed that Europe could be just five years away from the start of a new Ice Age.

While climate change campaigners say global warming is the planet's biggest danger, renowned physicist Vladimir Paar says most of central Europe will soon be covered in ice.

The freeze will be so complete that people will be able to walk from England to Ireland or across the North Sea from Scotland to northern Europe.

Professor Paar, from Croatia's Zagreb University, has spent decades analysing previous ice ages in Europe and what caused them.

LINK www.croatiantimes.com...

So what do you think could it be right what he says but he did go on to say this.

"This could happen in five, 10, 50 or 100 years, or even later. We can't predict it precisely, but it will come," he added.

Is this just a get out clause.

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I don't know about the science, but it is bound to happen sometime. Even some GW advocates admit that GW is just a precursor to a new ice age (pendulum effect). Given the mysteries of the last ice age, such as whole mammoths being frozen so quickly that the food in their bellies was still recognizable, I expect it could happen tomorrow with no warning and be locked in within days. We know so very little about this planets ancient past, it is hard to say.

That being said, other than taking normal rational precautions for disasters, why worry about it? (not saying you are, just saying in general)

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Thanks no im not worried if it happens there is nothing we can do about that and yes it will happen again of that there is no doubt but boy is it cold other here in England Brrr.

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Hello there everybody!So what happends then???Everybody start moving to equator???

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well, that would be in line with events surrounding 2012. I'm not sure how much more evidence -- other than world powers saying: Look Out! -- people need to realize that -- craziness and world-ending on 12/21/12 aside -- our entire climate is changing rapidly. And there's not a darn thing we can do about it. (Technology could eventually be advanced enough to alter climate, at least temporarily, but I personally do not believe this to be a possible long-term solution.)

I wish people could get past the hysteria and silliness that surrounds the whole 2012 thing. Perhaps then we might be open to realizing that perhaps -- just perhaps -- the Mayans were correct in the ending of one cycle and the beginning of the next. Throughout history we have had periods of warm weather, which escalates to unsustainable levels, and then we have an ice age -- or mini ice age depending on where one is in the cycle -- in order for the Earth to re-balance its optimum temperature. These events are necessary FOR life to continue on Earth and not world-ending.

The other thing that people need to keep in mind when reading articles like this, is that once the Earth begins to warm, and begins the process of correcting it, things begin to happen exponentially. No person in our lifetime, let alone that last 26,000 years, has seen such a transition where the Earth literally "fights back" and corrects itself. Nobody at this point can calculate how fast things are really going to transpire because they continue to move forward faster and faster.

Is the world going to end in 2012? No. However, I think that 1000 years from now people will look at 2012 as the point in which things began spiraling out of control -- meaning mother nature -- and that there is nothing we can do to stop it.

If you read ancient texts you will find commonality in what they were experiencing -- from all different places on Earth. Warmer weather, more violent storms, drought, hurricanes, etc... it all fits with what we are starting to see now.

I believe the Mayan calendar is in tune with the cycles of the Earth, and that it begins and ends on very specific dates for a reason. Everything they did -- from wars, to birth, to harvest, to sacrifice -- was all done for a purpose at a specific time. Their calendars are mathematically sound and extremely detailed. They managed to build a pyramid in which a serpent would rise from above at a very specific moment in time -- the only time that the sun is in the perfect place to illuminate it. It makes no sense to me to think that with all of this, they would suddenly randomly end their calendar without it having any significance. [again, significance does not equal the annihilation of our planet] Nothing they did was random and the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

No, it's complete nonsense.

A sudden massive release of cold water into the N Atlantic - equivalent say to the whole of the Great Lakes - might reduce temps by 1c - as happened in the 8.2kya event. It might lead to us having weather like we had in the 1970s ..... though not nnecessary summers like 1975/6!

A full blown new ice age started around 5,000 years ago (known as the neoglacial) and may result in glaciers advancing on New York and London in around 50,000 years time - although recent warming in the Arctic casts such predictions in doubt. Instead of advancing, N Hemisphere ice caps are currently retreating .....

We're curremtly about as far from an ice age as it's possible to be - a supervolcano eruption or cometary impact notwithstanding!

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Very good post but you make a lot of reference to 2012 there this is not about 2012 but i see the point you are trying to make.
The Mayan calendar that's not for this thread but thanks for your post.

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
you say that you can not remember a winter as cold as this one, well all i can say to that is that you must be very young .
these cold winters are not a new thing .i can remember in the early 70s working on building sites where the labourers had to light fires to thaw out the ground before they could dig.
the winters of late have been mild but this has not been the norm.
they say that there are more scientists that disbelieve in the globle warming than the ones that do . but the globle warming bandwagon is a good money spinner for some.
i myself totally ignore all the bs that is in the news about this because it is just an excuse to raise taxes .

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I'm just putting it out there its Vladimir Paar who says this not me for all we know it could happen tomorrow.

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tom.farnhill

I wish i was young I'm 39 so not that young feel like 50 sometimes moving on i remember the snow been deeper than what we get these days but don't remember it been as cold as is now.

It mite have been i just don't remember that's all.

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Prof Paar is a member of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts.

It doesn't have a good reputation for quality science:

The Academy has recently been criticized to the effect that membership and activities are based on academic cronyism and political favor rather than on scientific and artistic merit ... Globus columnist Boris Dežulović satirized the institution as an "Academy of stupidity and obedience." ... Dr. Vladimir Paar and others defended the Academy's decision, averring that it did take pains to include accomplished scientists ...

Source

It would handy to see what research this opinion is based on.

There is nothing in the article(s) that I have read that offer any evidence

[edit on 25/2/10 by Horza]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
See here:en.wikipedia.org... and also here: www.abovetopsecret.com... Yup might be getting very snowy there soon.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

You may very well be surprised. If the Sun stays absent of Sunspots like it has been since early 2008, the increase in cosmic ray density, cloud cover, and rain could cool things down really fast.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

The scientist in your OP is by no means the only scientist calling for an Ice Age. Accu-weather senior meteorologist Joe Bastardi said that over the next 30 years, we are entering a mini-Ice Age. He also forecast that the East Coast would have a cold winter, with a huge amount of snow. He was right on.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

AN iceberg the size of Luxembourg knocked loose from the Antarctic continent earlier this month could disrupt the ocean currents driving weather patterns around the globe, researchers said.

Fully story here

www.news.com.au...

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Thanks ProfEmeritus i found a vid of him here.

I think he is right its the sun not us but i must say this year's winter feels colder to me anyway.

THANKYOU

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I tend to agree, it seems that winters get even colder. I live in Florida now and each year it gets a little bit colder... I was born in eastern Europe , in Romania and this winter temperatures reaached as low as -35C/-33F on a nation wide scale , where as before it would go to about -15C or so.

It gets colder and colder for longer periods of time..

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
I don't know about the science, but it is bound to happen sometime. Even some GW advocates admit that GW is just a precursor to a new ice age (pendulum effect). Given the mysteries of the last ice age, such as whole mammoths being frozen so quickly that the food in their bellies was still recognizable, I expect it could happen tomorrow with no warning and be locked in within days. We know so very little about this planets ancient past, it is hard to say.

That being said, other than taking normal rational precautions for disasters, why worry about it? (not saying you are, just saying in general)

Um no - that never, ever, ever happened. the transitions take thousands of years - they never ever happen that rapidly - except in hollywood.

The pendulum is from two things - the variation in the tilt of the earths axis and our wobble as we rotate around the sun from elliptical to circular.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas

Um no - that never, ever, ever happened. the transitions take thousands of years - they never ever happen that rapidly - except in hollywood.

The pendulum is from two things - the variation in the tilt of the earths axis and our wobble as we rotate around the sun from elliptical to circular.

I will not argue the point too much. Aside from apparently flash frozen mammoth corpses and ice core evidence that show a dramatic cooling event in a geologically tiny amount of time, it is, as I said in my post, impossible to know what truely happened. Our history, culturally and geologically, is constantly being erased by the ravages of time.

That being said, noone can prove it took thousands of years. That is a current best guess. I wasn't intending to describe a "Day after tomorrow" kind of result, but I have no reason to doubt that such a thing could indeed happen.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Mammoths can be frozen fairly instantly by being buried in a snowstorm. There is nothing from the historical record that indicated that these great mammal need be exterminated by an instant freezing event, just being caught in a bad snowstorm would be enough to freeze them with diet intact. No global ice-age is required for this to take place.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join