It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cash-strapped LA going after unlicensed dogs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Cash-strapped LA going after unlicensed dogs

news.yahoo.com

LOS ANGELES – Cash-strapped Los Angeles is going to the dogs — literally.

The City Council voted Tuesday to have two departments share information in order to track down people who haven't licensed their pets.

Council President Eric Garcetti estimates two-thirds of the city's dogs are unlicensed. Licenses cost $15 for a sterilized dog and $100 for an unaltered pet.

Getting all dogs licensed would mean at least an additional $3.6 million in fees to the city.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This is exactly the kind of leadership we need out of our government. This move will bring in $3.6 million.

That money is the receipt of those missing fees. It does not factor in the cost of enforcement, fee processing, nor the cost of additional shelter space and associated costs which will undoubtable be created as folks decide to no longer keep their dogs.

This will cost the city of LA more money.

It is no different than cutting local youth sports programs to "save" money and then 5 years later need to pass bond measures to hire more police, teen counselors and crisis pregnancy centers which have increased demand because there has been no productive activities in the community for young people.

The idiocy of the government is remarkable

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

On one hand I think it is a little absurd and a unethical way to make money.

The same way cops are not supposed to have quotas for catching traffic violators. Everyone knows this tactic, not only an unscrupulous way to make money, unfairly punishes the public they are supposed to serve.
It makes cops lose their main focus to protect people, occupies them a little too ridiculously on little infractions - chances missing something big right under their nose.

On another hand if this is a subtle way to get folks to spay and neuter their pets.... I am all for it.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Like that is something new?,i lived in So Calif for 55 yrs,they always came by checking if animals were licensed,a public interest story? life must be boring

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I'm not sure about the laws in California, and pets, but if a dog does not have a license, that means it probably never visits a vet, or has it vaccinations.

Sadly, I hope this does not mean that pets will be put down because an owner cannot afford this.

If they offered some sort of amnesty program, where a person could get the license at a reduced fee, they might generate some more cash that way, rather than people having to live in fear of losing a beloved pet.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

I'm not sure about the laws in California, and pets, but if a dog does not have a license, that means it probably never visits a vet, or has it vaccinations.

Sadly, I hope this does not mean that pets will be put down because an owner cannot afford this.

If they offered some sort of amnesty program, where a person could get the license at a reduced fee, they might generate some more cash that way, rather than people having to live in fear of losing a beloved pet.

Sadly, outside of adoption this is the best thing that can happen to these animals. People make a great deal of money gathering up strays and even stealing pets and selling them to research labs. And these more common are a slight improvement on Satanic cults.

Don't just spay and neuter your own pet encourage everyone you know to do the same.

I neutered my Haitian neighbors cat without telling her. Maybe it was wrong but a German Shepard in our yard kept gobbling up kittens and she didn't give a damn.

MBF

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
They should have to survive like the rest of us, I have X amount of money to spend AND THAT IS ALL. Wouldn't it be nice if everybody could go to their employer and demand them to hand over more money so we could just blow it in some useless manner whenever we want?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
This is something NEW.

A friend gets a citation about once a year for having a unlicensed dog.

Problem is that he has never owned a dog, he's allergic to dogs.

The illegals that live around him have a lot of unlicensed dogs and if the doggy cops chases one and it goes in your yard you get the ticket.

People have told the illegals that if they license there dogs they may be deported if the dog is caught by the doggy cops.
I know its BS but the illegals don't.

new topics

top topics

join