It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New U.S. Embassy In London To Cost $1 Billion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
That is a pretty massive expense for an embassy in the U.K. The U.S already has one in Grosvenor Square which has housed them well. What do Americans think about this huge expense?

And as for the Brits, does this signal Americas intent on keep the U.K-U.S relationship tight, no matter who is in government in London and Washington? Would you be happy with this?

Hopefully it will provide some much needed jobs in the British building industry. Although it was designed by Kieran Timberlake an American Firm, it does not state who is to actually build the complex. Building is set commence in 2013 with a finish date of 2017

The building itself seems pretty state of the art

Timberlake said the 500,000-square foot (45,000-square meter) building will also be one of the greenest. Its exterior is to be lined with energy-absorbing material, the roof is covered with solar panels, and the building will collect and store London's plentiful rainfall to be self-sufficient in water

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The dominant feature of the embassy, which is relocating from Mayfair to the south bank of the Thames in Battersea, is the 30m wide stand-off zone around the building, complete with moat – albeit visually softened by surrounding gardens with changing levels. In essence, the stand-off makes it impossible for the building to be rammed at speed by a truck filled with explosives.

www.independent.co.uk...

Seems like the Americans are looking for a toned down approach in defending their embassy's, particulary in friendly nations such as the U.K.

More Links
www.channel4.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This disgusts me. Why can't the U.S rent a space in an existing structure. Senseless waste of taxpayers money. I suppose I shouldn't expect anything else from a corrupt bunch of child molesting murdering goverment representitives. Pigs

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ablue07

You can't rent due to security concerns and the fact that the space is not yours, you can't control it. Don't forget an embassy is considered sovereign soil of that nation.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by badmoviefan]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ablue07

Yes it does seem a bit strange to spend this much on a new Embassy in a country who you have great relations with and already have a fully functional one. Could be linked to a new American policy i.e 'soft power', in influencing their allies?

Or could be linked to the massive Macedonian embassy discussed on here in June of 2009 www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Odd landscaping around the building. I'm sure Rik Clay would have been able to find meaning it it. I'd love to see a direct overhead shot of the proposed complete area. Anyone?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 2ndFUTURE

All i can find.

www.independent.co.uk...

Seems they are trying to use a moat and garden to deter any kind of truck bomb rather than imposing ugly walls. Sorry i just do not see any attackers getting away with any kind of truck bomb attack against the American embassy in London anyway.

Mabye thats a bit nieve i just think MI5-MI6 are all over any kind of Islamic terrorist in the U.K these days.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
A comment piece on the new Embassy on the WarinContext website taken from Foreign Policy. Ineresting.

warincontext.org...

top topics

join