It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two children shot; suspect in custody in Denver school shooting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Two children shot; suspect in custody in Denver school shooting

www.mercurynews.com

LITTLETON, Colo. — Two students were injured in a shooting at a middle school not far from the site of the 1999 Columbine High massacre, and an adult suspect is in custody, according to the Jefferson County Sheriff's department.

Mark Techmeyer, spokesman for the sheriff's department, said one victim was shot inside the school, the other outside. Their conditions are unknown but are not believed to be life-threatening.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Another school shooting by another adult male. This shooting brings back memories of a shooting in 2006 or so where a sex offender entered a school I believe in the same county and held six girls hostage before killing himself. If it's the same county as the school from 2006 (Platte Canyon High School) then this just goes to show that no amount of planning will ever make us safe.

The only way to make us safer is by the citizens collective actions.

www.mercurynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

You're exactly correct. The defining line to me is the willingness to take one's own life in the process of killing / hurting others.

No matter how much money we spend on security, if someone wants to kill themselves, and take others down at the same time, there isn't much anyone is going to do about it.

Bombs in underwear. Shooters in schools. Suicide bombers. Bomb-laden vehicles blown-up with the driver going full speed into a building. Bomb-wearing apartment dweller that takes down the whole building.

What can possibly be done to prevent anyone -- everyone -- from doing any of that?

That's one of the problems with giving away our freedoms for the sake of security. We lose more than we will ever gain in return. Not to mention the fact that we will also never get back what we lost in the process.

First planes. Then schools. Ports. Trains. Buses. Subways. Tunnels. Bridges. Elevators. Rooftops. etc. etc.

It will never end. "Lock down" the first, they will move on to the second. Lock down everything, and they will blow their own house up and take the neighborhood with them. What are we really going to do -- have security checks before entering our own apartment?

Frankly, sometimes I think that the more we do to prevent these nutjobs from hurting us, the more power we give them. And more of our own FREE life we lose in the process.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

What can possibly be done to prevent anyone -- everyone -- from doing any of that?

Eventually some politician will sell a "preemptive" strategy to the sheep and they'll eat it up. We must kill everyone before they have a chance to kill us!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

in my school we used to have an announcement like "the earth club is meeting after school" which was really a sign for go into lockdown..pretty organized and secure if you ask me

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This is 15 min from my house
Live News conference on right now

Deer Creek Middle School:
1 Adult male supsect in custody.
1 male, 1 female victim
hurt, not dead.

Happened while kids leaving school.

[edit on February 23rd 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
No amount of planning will ever make us safe from 1 crazy person getting off a couple of rounds, but it certainly can stop a Columbine Massacre or a Virginia Tech Massacre.

Arm the teachers. Arm the Administrators. Arm the College Students. One crazy a**hole may rush in and wound a couple of people, but he wont get 20 or 30 of them.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Any other details? They said they have the person in custody. I wonder if it was a targeted shooting or just random.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
That's been like 2-3 school shooting in the last week or two... what is going on?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Appear's to have been random, no word yet, 1 shooter possible former high school student, tackled by Dr. Benke a school running coach who is 6'5" and in good shape according to his wife. He originally apprehended the suspect, and then was assisted by a school bus driver, who has been driving for the district for some 15 yrs, and was a driver during Columbine incident 11 yrs ago.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by freetree64]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
From a young age, children's mind are governed into conformity particularly through television and the education system. Many people later acknowledge current society is on a track to derailment, but often can't quite put their finger on why as escaping a mindset fostered since birth is difficult, thus they learn to tolerate it. Through egalitarian dogma spread via mass media and laws protecting the stupid and elevating their social status and rights to equal all, adolescents becoming adults are taught to accept dysfunction and the insane pretenses given to the notions of what is good/evil and right/wrong. This is quite an unnatural process for many, and coming into maturity seemingly means to squelch the inner child that screams 'this is #%$@ed', and prepare for four decades of sitting behind a desk or cash register. For the intelligent/aware, depression is extraneous as they realise society isn't made for them. Crowd logic doesn't recognize symptoms of degeneracy, and will drown out any voice that sings a different song: higher intelligence isn't welcome.

There are four main ways youths who realise fault will respond to this transition, which can shape the rest of their lives (or end them). The most common is to surrogate aspects of life modern society neglects to provide for with what feels good and can ease the downfalls of a troubled illusion. The effects and means of this are somewhat synonymous with the degenerate modern youth culture: binge-drinking, drugs, sex, and various forms of modern entertainment (time-fillers). Some will simply lash out at what they can in an attempt to control something in their lives, as most of it is in the hands of totalitarian politicians. Others commit suicide. The least common response to degeneracy is to find realistic alternatives and act

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Additionally, the suspect seem's to have uttered phrases along the line's of, I'm doing this for freedom, or something to that effect, prior to the shooting or during it. The student's were evacuated to an elementary school nearby and they are saying the school will be closed tommorow. Both individuals shot, are doing well, and do not appear to have life threating injuries, according to the hospital. The male student, was the worst injured of the two.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Ok, more info now, apparently they are now saying the suspect was 32 yrs old, not a former student, or teacher...

This is gonna get interesting when they start to talk to this guy, as his ranting's sounded very unusual, according to the media...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Here's the most recent News story on this incident, from Denver news.

www.thedenverchannel.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
America is certainly the most violent scary place one earth.If you live there its not if but when you will be a victim.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I have a funny feeling this is gonna be a lot bigger thread, when they finally interview this suspect. He had made some supposed statement's as to "Doing this for freedom" and was wearing a beret, so I expect the media is gonna blow this out of proportion. I'm amazed the word hasn't got out yet... But I'm sure it will.

Anyway, my thoughts and prayers are with his victims and their families, as well as the students traumatized by this horrible incident. Also want to give S & F's out to the coach who took this guy down, good show mate, as they say. He was reloading at the time, so who know's how many more would have been hurt, had the coach not taken action.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Dr. David Benke was the coach who took this guy down, and saved the rest of the student's from the alleged shooter, he's the hero, and has his own facebook page if you care to take a look...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Wow "doing this for freedom?" Some people are nuts if they think shooting children is doing something for freedom.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Yeah, no doubt, but this country is currently a jar of mixed nut's, some good, some bad, and I've got a feeling the bad one's are getting shaken to the top, these day's. One lost puppy for sure......

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Goodness! I'm just glad that teacher saved those kids! My thoughts are with the children and there family's, And my prayers are with the children that where hurt.

I think the rest of them children must have had the angels on side today.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by asala]

<<   2 >>

join