It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cluster headaches,what causes them?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I Was reading a piece in the Celebs magazine ( supplement in the Sunday mirror magazine) titled Whats giving you a headache? the type that interested me most was cluster headaches had them most of my adult life , its only these last few years they have eased up ,and the doctors had no idea how to treat them.

Does anyone have any idea what causes them ,and are they hereditary as my Son gets them as well,he has tablets for taking when an attack is imminent.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
My grandmother had these problems she attributed it to an over active third eye.
Could listen to some chakra tunes try to balance them out.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I used to get these kinds of headaches quite often. I don't get them
anymore. Increase your purified water intake and I suspect you won't either. I found out this did the trick when I finally noticed them coming only in the winter, when my water intake went down .
Now my water intake dosn't go down and I do not get those mother begging headaches any more . Something so simple.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I Was reading a piece in the Celebs magazine ( supplement in the Sunday mirror magazine) titled Whats giving you a headache? the type that interested me most was cluster headaches had them most of my adult life , its only these last few years they have eased up ,and the doctors had no idea how to treat them. Does anyone have any idea what causes them ,and are they hereditary as my Son gets them as well,he has tablets for taking when an attack is imminent.
reply to post by illece

Thats easy..... WOMEN!!!......... Can't kill them, can't eat them
.... I'm sure we are more of a headache to them though...

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I've reviewed much of the literature on this subject and it seems quite obvious that magnesium deficiency is strongly associated with migraine and cluster headaches. These types of headaches are considered vascular disorders so it makes sense that magnesium can help prevent them.

Most people know of magnesisum's benefits with hypertension. Intracellular magnesium relaxes muscles, so if magnesium levels are low the muscles constrict and blood vessels contrict causing hypertension. It's hypothesized that the same concept applies to migraine headaches, cluster headaches....and headaches in general.

Of course, consulting your doctor should be done before supplementing with magnesium as calcium levels should be kept in mind as well. A critical balance between these too is very important. It's also worth noting, if you're type II diabetic or insulin resistant you may have problems uptaking magnesium. In other words, it may not help. In fact, you may be magnesium deficient because of insulins presence in the bloodstream.

Edit to add: In summary, magnesium deficiency may be the cause of these headaches and, yes, supplementation may help in the prevention of these painful inflictions.

-Dev

[edit on 22-2-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I have actually read somewhere that research is being done with '___' as a possible cure for cluster headaches.

Yes, acid.

I will try to find the exact article, but they were also working on making it in a way to minimize or possibly neutralize hallucinogenic effects (why? :puz

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Hi there
This is my first post and the topic jumped out at me.
I have been suffering from cluster headaches for roughly 6 years now and was diagnosed in Mexico.
At first the Neurologist gave me Relpax,which worked a treat and they eventually went away
Then Bang,came back with avengance and have had an attack almost every february ever since.
I now live in Spain and am on Buprex for when the pain is unbearable but also take verapamilio twice a day,I also take a magnesium,Vit B and selenium tab once a day,I took these before I had these attack's.
I also get a lot of info from a cluster head forum,which is very comforting as I feel that only a cluster head really understand's how painful these attacks are.
Thank you for the info so far,anything is worth trying as I wouldn't wish these on my worst enemy.
Rgds
Merrymex

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I had cluster headaches most of my adult life, no idea what caused them. They would go away for months and come back with a vengeance for weeks & up to 8 months which I think was the longest episode. Nasty and debilitating, I continued to work even though they robbed me of hours of sleep each night. Went to a ton of Drs., most wanted to prescribe pain meds but they're not for me and never worked anyway. Finally I found a "headache" Dr who suggested a blood pressure med + a 7 day round of cortisone. He explained that neither would help by themselves but when combined they produced a beneficial side effect. After 4 or 5 days the pain began to subside and a week later it was gone--absolutely amazing. I'm 57 now and haven't had and episode for 3 years which is normal for me. When I sense they are returning I call my guy, refill the Rx and take the meds for about 2 weeks.

On the first visit my "headache" Dr., he asked me what it felt like. I told him I'd go to bed feeling fine and fall asleep immediately, only to wake up within 45 min to and hour and my heart would be pounding in my chest. No problem with my heart, I was scared because I could feel the tingling in my head. That's the signal that within 5 minutes it would feel like someone had stuck an ice pick in my eye and began hitting it with a hammer. He laughed and shook his head saying, "you have no idea how many times I've heard that. Now let's see if we can fix it." It was a miracle as far as I'm concerned.

I hope this encourages you to continue looking for the right Dr & meds that will help your son.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Hello,

I had these in my late 30's, they came on all of a sudden though I had had sinus headaches for years before. Was so bad I thought I was having a stroke once and had a catscan.

Anyway, I found a cure... or cause for ME anyway.

The cause was Milk and Dairy Products.

I was a heavy user of Dairy for years. I would eat cereal by the box in a big bowl 3-4 times a week plus drinking it, allot of cheese, etc.

It was through trial and error over months but once I stopped using Dairy (and only now eat an occasional pizza or a slice of Provalone once a week) both my sinus problems and cluster headaches went away.

I confirmed recently, I decided to eat a bit to much cheese and queso and guess what, started getting a sinus headache, plugged sinuses and that "vascular spasm" pain sensation started coming back.

Not saying this is what is causing yours but I know 100% that Milk / Dairy are not for me anymore.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by illece

I Was reading a piece in the Celebs magazine ( supplement in the Sunday mirror magazine) titled Whats giving you a headache? the type that interested me most was cluster headaches had them most of my adult life , its only these last few years they have eased up ,and the doctors had no idea how to treat them.

Does anyone have any idea what causes them ,and are they hereditary as my Son gets them as well,he has tablets for taking when an attack is imminent.

Cluster headache's are right up there with giving birth, or passing a kidney stone, its a whole new adventure in pain. I have them along with regular migrane's. What causes them? It might be something genetic (not just your parents, but recessive genes from your distant past). Theres not much of anything, but there are a few. Beta and Calcium channel blockers (usually used for high blood preasure). These, and muscle relaxants. These are some of the preventitive drugs you can use. Your much better off preventing them. Another possible source is flashing lights, perfume or the smell of gasoline. I'm in a support group, and the number of things people say trigger would blow your mind.

If you do get one, lay down, and use an icebag. If you had several super narcotics, take them. The cluster headaches usually in an hour or so

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
I've reviewed much of the literature on this subject and it seems quite obvious that magnesium deficiency is strongly associated with migraine and cluster headaches.

Thanks for being on-point Devolution. Star for you
. In addition there's information out there that recommends these treatments as well (under doctor care of course):

Ergotamine

Triptans

Local Anesthetics

A few things that may help for those with the other two kinds of headaches. Not cures, but significant relief without medication:

For Migraine sufferers, my spouse has those frequently. Cold beverages, cold compress on eyes/forehead and caffeine.

I tend to get Tension headaches, which I handle just the reverse. Hot beverages, heating pad on the neck and/or forehead, NO caffeine (makes it worse).

[edit on 23-2-2010 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
i was reading recently there is a link between migraines and lack of serotonin in the brain. There are possible links to this and depression and other psycological problems as well.

(sorry i don't have a link)

[edit on 23-2-2010 by Frakkerface]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I don't know what kind of headaches I would get, but they were horrible, and they happened A LOT. Sometimes I would get headaches every day for a period of time. And sometimes a single headache would last days.

But from my own experience, I have to assume that headaches come from whatever we're eating. A few months ago, I started eating only organic foods, and am currently transitioning to vegan as well. I never thought I would make those kinds of changes, ever. But I have had very few headaches over the last few months. And I can even pin them on having eaten something horrible, like fast food, although I can't say for sure whether or not it was a coincidence.

Seriously, I have never EVER felt better. I'm a hypochondriac, but I don't feel like I really am anymore. I don't know if it's related, but I haven't had anxiety or heartburn since July. I used to drive my family CRAZY, thinking I was dying all the time, brain tumor, aneurysm, organ failure, etc.

And the few headaches I have gotten over the last few months haven't been at all as bad as the ones I used to get.

Oddly enough, I ventured into this world (ATS and the quest for the truth about life, the universe, and everything) around the same time. Guys, I've never felt better. I feel healthy, and I feel like I'm learning more than ever these days.

I think most of our problems come from the garbage that we're told is fine for us to eat.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I Would just like to thank everyone for their kind replies,i will be trying some of your suggestions on the occasions when they do return,also suggest the remedies to my son

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jujumon9959
I hope this encourages you to continue looking for the right Dr & meds that will help your son.

I'm going to echo jujumon's advice. As you can see from the posts in the thread, a LOT of different things cause headaches, from high blood pressure to allgergies to (for women) menstrual cycle as well as environmental factors -- and things like tumors and other underlying conditions. The best advice is to see a doctor and if the meds don't work in a week or so, go back and complain. If the doc can't fix you, go see another one.

The "cluster headache forum" is also a good place to lurk and watch for advice.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

Wow, you can tell from my last post how tired I was. I have ALS which gets worse every day. I cosider it an insult to other posters not to be in good form, and not ramble! Sorry people. Spelling has always sucked, so I can't blame any thing but being lazy. My spell checker is still not working! (Oh the horror...)

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JenRecluse

For most people medications can help quite a bit. As preventing them. These are not narcotics, which are only for acute headache's. But much more important headache's can be caused of a benign condition. I don't want to freak you out, but a very small number can be very dangerous. Brain tumors, pre-stoke, or high blood preasure. Having different types can be indicative of multiple causes, but not usually. The fact that you know certain triggers REALLY points to those that are not a major concern. One very commen cause is taking caffiene. But you should not have nausea, which is typical of "classic" migraine, cluster headaches, etc. (But there are always exceptions to most rules...) the odd benign headache can have nausea, but not most of the time.

Please see your MD asap. Even some serious headaches, caught early, can dealt with. This is very important.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
I've reviewed much of the literature on this subject and it seems quite obvious that magnesium deficiency is strongly associated with migraine and cluster headaches.

Thanks for being on-point Devolution. Star for you
. In addition there's information out there that recommends these treatments as well (under doctor care of course):

Ergotamine

Triptans

Local Anesthetics

A few things that may help for those with the other two kinds of headaches. Not cures, but significant relief without medication:

For Migraine sufferers, my spouse has those frequently. Cold beverages, cold compress on eyes/forehead and caffeine.

I tend to get Tension headaches, which I handle just the reverse. Hot beverages, heating pad on the neck and/or forehead, NO caffeine (makes it worse).

[edit on 23-2-2010 by saint4God]

Thanks so much for posting your list of other medications which was more up to date then mine. I have had them for about years. Although I mentioned the cold compress and I believe caffeine was mentioned, I have to comment on a few points. As an acute urgent measure I have paristismal/paroximal or mixed headache syndrome in effect garden variety between that and the far worse cluster headaches. People have literally killed themselves in the after math of such insane, horrible pain for dread of having another one. Usually during a cluster headache one is so immobilized, you could NOT kill yourself if you wanted to. At least thats a positive thing. I and some of my friends own a gun. I begged my best friend once to take me out. I keep my gun in a locker at the range, so even if I want to I coulden't hurt my self.
That horrible act would so devastate my family, and I would never again think to do such a thing.

When I begged my buddy to "off me" he got so angry sayng if I ever, EVER
said such a thing again he would whip, kick and more or less torture me to death very slowly. I would not even think I had a headache. A true friend sometimes has to and does just say no. In retrospect I was humiliated by my being such a cowerd, and putting my friend in such a terrible state.
Thank God he was such a true friend. This dude is an ex ranger who today is a martial arts trainer in close protection unarmed combat. He has a double white belt in six forms of the martial arts, and works for my company. Believe me, he could take out, whole nations and, not come close to perspirering. You are right along with caffiene being more of a problem then solution. When compared to mixed headache syndrome chronic caffeine intake like all headache's will make things worse. A caff with drawl will create a c-with drawl thats really kiddy-play. No matter how bad it is.

But it's very important to appreciate we ALL respond to medication in a way specific to our genetic background, (we think the main reason), exposure with selective sensitivity, also genetic specific to the individual. Toxic exposure to the brain by a chemical or mechanical (physical) wound can also be the cause, though its some what rare. Also, I'm on anti-siezure medication, for what was a chronic habit of falling down and going boom, usually cracking my skull hard in the process. Ancient drugs like dilantin are barbatrates, but are not addictive like a classic migriane class problem drug like fioricet (which by the way have 40mg caffeine per tablet/capsule). And you can unless very carefull develop a tolerance to any anti-headache drug, just like you can develop a tolerance to booze. If on any drug such as mentioned you almost certainly will have a sciezure if you stop or even cut down abruptly. You MUST detox in a medical environment. Other wise it's just VERY dangerous.

You don't want to plow your car into some one, crack open your skull, or perhaps the worse danger is to develop status epilepticus. Thats repeated sciezures, one after the other and that can cause memory loss, some times severe and permanant. It can also cause a stroke, and also stroke related death. Other sciezure meds often can help with migraines, and don't present some of the varied problems. I had a stroke in '06, now I'm 50yrs old.

I had a nasty bout of stat. epp, in 2006. I in effect forgot how to type, lost use of my right hand, (I am right handed), good Lord also have bowel/bladder incontinance, and have to wear a diper. How humiliating. It's also hard to walk and since '06 can not not drive (the last one really hurts) I should add I will be giving my gun to a friend who's a cop, and uses the city weapons (which really suck I'm told) Why not? I used to relax by taking out paper targets at the range. He fired it and said in his words was "way cool". Sorry every one for pathetic whining, thats because I despite being a lucky man in my life, I feel sorry for my self. Pathetic.

I also want to add I think 98-99% of the people on this site are also "way cool". Never a dull moment with this group of the great unwashed!

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Thank you arbiture for your testimony, it always helps to hear from someone who has 'been to the mountain'. I'll send out a prayer for you as well and am grateful for the wisdom you've added here.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
As a migraine sufferer I know the pain well. It is debilitating and nauseating often causing me to throw up. I use Imitrex or Maxalt for mine but from what I understand Clusters are alot different. I have heard of some relief coming from a capsacin nose spray. Worth a try perhaps.

Good luck and I hope for all of you. Migraines are horrible but I hear clusters are worse

-Kyo

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join