It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians In India Outraged At Jesus Pic With Beer And Cig

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7345872e53a3.jpg[/atsimg]

Christians in India's northeast are outraged after a picture showing Jesus Christ holding a beer can and a cigarette was discovered in primary school textbooks.

The image appeared in a handwriting book for children in church-run schools in the Christian-majority state of Meghalaya, where it was used to illustrate the letter "I" for the word "Idol". "We are deeply shocked and hurt at the objectionable portrayal of Jesus Christ in the school book. We condemn the total lack of respect for religions by the publisher," Shillong diocese Archbishop Dominic Jala told AFP.

Police said they were hunting for the owner of the New Delhi-based publisher, Skyline Publications, who faces charges of offending religious sentiment, local police superintendent A.R. Mawthoh told AFP. The Roman Catholic Church in India has banned all textbooks by Skyline, while Protestant leaders called for a public apology.

The state government also denounced the publication. "We strongly condemn such a blasphemous act. Legal action has been initiated against the publisher," M. Ampareen Lyngdoh, an education minister in the Meghalaya government, said. English-language daily The Shillong Times said Skyline had apologised for "hurting people's religious sentiments", but had offered no explanation as to how the error occurred. Efforts are underway to recall all copies of the book, the publisher was quoted as saying. AFP was unable to reach Skyline for comment.

Christians account for 2.3 percent of India's billion-plus Hindu-majority population. The main concentrations are in the northeast, the eastern state of Orissa and in the southern states of Kerala and Goa.

Source Article

Christians, how does the picture make you feel?

If upset, ask yourself-

Wouldn't Jesus see the good uses of humor?

Frankly, the picture doesn't bother me. It's kinda funny.

He did drink wine...

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Now everyone across the table understands why THERE CANNOT BE ANY IMAGES OF THE GOD NOR HIS OFFSPRING. As for the artist god help them smh not a good look.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I consider myself to be a nominal Christian....in other words, raised Christian but currently searching.

I don't particularly like the pic, but I also find it kinda funny.

Inappropriate in a textbook, though.

And I will refrain from making any obvious references to cartoon images of other religions.....

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
That's a classically hilarious picture, and I'm sure Jesus would understand the usefulness of humor: the only problem is that the picture was placed in a childrens book. I'm sure the teachers had issues trying to teach their students about their Savior when the picture they have of him includes him holding a cigarette and a beer.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in a classroom where they first noticed the illustration.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Personally, I don't find it hurtful that someone would try to humor themselves. However, I find it offensive that they would make fun of other religions like that. What if I posted a cow being fondled by a goat? How would Indians feel about it?

I think that a picture of Jesus would be idol worship, same thing with the cross. Why would you need a symbol to show your faith? I think that these things started innocently, then turned into worshiping false idols.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Unlike the Muslims, and speaking as a Christ-follower, this doesn't bother me because this is almost certianly not how Jesus looked and Jesus was moked during his life and he was killed. Why should we expect anything less after his death. Further, our God and savior will vindicate Himself. Unlike Muhammad, I don't need to defend Jesus against defamation. He has been rejected and despised from the beginning. So, from one Christ-follower, this is no way bothers me nor is it a shock.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Christians In India Outraged At Jesus Pic With Beer And Cig

And they have every right to be - that picture lead to this..!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/72a5e50b2d37.jpg[/atsimg]

Now look what he has gotten himself into - was it worth it my carpenter friend..?

And 30 pieces of silver - hell, his own followers may turn him in for that kind of loot.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Some people need to learn to take a joke. I am a Christian and I thnk it is hilarious. It would be awesome if Jesus had the occasional cigarette and beer with his buddies at the bar. Maybe then Elton John couldn't run around saying Jesus was gay and have idiots agree with him.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueperspective
Unlike the Muslims, and speaking as a Christ-follower, this doesn't bother me because this is almost certianly not how Jesus looked and Jesus was moked during his life and he was killed. Why should we expect anything less after his death. Further, our God and savior will vindicate Himself. Unlike Muhammad, I don't need to defend Jesus against defamation. He has been rejected and despised from the beginning. So, from one Christ-follower, this is no way bothers me nor is it a shock.

I wish I could double star that!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

It's good thing the police has started taking action against the publisher and the Indian Govt. has condemned it. It looks like a prank by someone. It's offensive and should be discouraged.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I really hope the christians in India do not use the internet, this is by far one of the least offensive altered pics of jesus i have seen.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Wouldn't Jesus see the good uses of humor?

No, probably not in this case. Not only did it show Him holding a beer and smoke, but was on a page for the letter "I" for Idol. In a children's primary school text book.

When I see that statue of Jesus in the jar of urine, or the painting of Him smeared with feces, and folks call it art, I shrug my shoulders. It's sad, and even sadder that others see those artists as brave heroes, but God can defend Himself; I don't have to be offended on His behalf.

However, in this case, it appears someone intentionally was seeking to attack and offend the children in Meghalaya, which is largely Christian. It's wasn't going for humor, it was going for offense. And, I suspect, someone thought they were pretty clever doing it.

However, if it's a handwriting book, who was the genius who made the decision to buy the text book without glancing at 26 pages?

As to the comment that Jesus would see the good uses of humor... Tell me, what good comes from a 10 year old seeing Jesus holding a beer and a cigarette?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

The weird thing is the first priest I ever met was holding a cig in one hand and a beer in the other...it was at a family party...and I was around 10.

Didn't hurt me any from what I can tell.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueperspective

The prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was also despised, mocked and rejected just like all the other prophets were denied by the disbelievers. The difference between the Christians and Muslims view regarding Jesus and Muhammad is, the Muslims believe that The prophet Muhammad was sent after Jesus as the last prophet chosen by god to guide mankind to the straight path, and they believe Jesus is not god, nor a son of god, but a Noble human being who God favored and blessed him much and his mother Marry. They also believe that Jesus wasn't crucified nor was killed, but it was made to seem so to the jews. Muslims take offense to the mocking of Jesus as well as christians, but when it comes to mocking their role model Prophet Muhammad, they take action..which they shouldn't in my opinion because it wont change anything and will only make things worse..

I didnt write all this info to start a debate on which religion is right or wrong..everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.
Im just simply feeding you with some info you might not know..I personally dont like it when anyone mocks any prophet or the creator/God for that matter, but at the same time what can be done to stop this? war? protesting? crime? revenge? of course not..because that will only make things worse..unfortunately there are some extremists out there who react in ways that give a really bad image to their religion/culture..

Jesus, Muhammad and all the prophets never retaliated in a violent way towards the disbelievers, they endured it all with tolerance and patience..something many people lack

This kind of mockery and taking god and the prophets so lightly and adding bad human habits to them will never stop...no matter how hard you try to stop it...
so yuppp, thats my 2 cents

Peace

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
What I find amazing is that now all of a sudden, every other religion is a Christ hater..... First it was Islam, which doesn't surprise me. They have never been pro anything other than their stringent religion. Now, supposedly, the Hindu "hate" Christians too. Hmmmmm, sounds like a classic Psychological operation by the powers that be to me.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I hope that publisher remembers to look both ways for Elephants before crossing the street.

I hear they can be kinda touchy when it comes to persecuting Christians.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by FortAnthem]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I also enjoy this one

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Honestly, I don't appreciate people making fun of a "man" who spoke of loving thy neighbor and letting others live as they will. If the rest of the world would let others do that, there wouldn't be this bull# religious war that is taking place on earth. Yet, people, even Christians, just don't get it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join