It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating Alices Cookie didnt take me to Wonderland. Stop telling people to avoid medication!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I have depression/anxiety and am on a medication for it. It does help. I have always raved about medicinal herbs yet they did not help me in that area. You also need to do extensive research on herbs as they too can be dangerous if you arn't careful. Also be cautious with mixing certain herbs with prescribed medicins.

It is up to an individual to do what they feel is best, but I agree, one shouldn't talk someone out of a prescribed drug that just might be what that individual needs. Take your time, do your research, try things and see what works for you.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I tend to have the darwinian approach to this...

If someone is going to listen to some internet conspiracy dude over their medically trained doctor, then that sort of solves a problem to begin with...

Survival of the fittest...in this case, the fittest mind.

I also believe we should take off warning labels and just give statements...such as "Do not put a plug-in radio on your bath ledge while taking a bath...
Surely some conspiracy theorist somewhere will convince someone that TPTB are saying that to keep you from attaining magical powers with electricity and water mix.....

see, problem sorted...world is one moron less to consume its oxygen

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Chronic Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. While I believe that mother nature provided everything on this earth, that we could EVER need, for ANY condition.... I believe that some of the meds they push DO actually work to correct these imbalances.

That said, some people really, seriously do have a chemical or hormonal imbalance that makes them unstable. There are "herbal" remedies that might be able to help some people. For my severe imbalances, I choose Kratom. It is natural, and still legal, and it actually keeps me stable.

But of course, for every imbalance, a different substance is needed.

The sad thing about Pharmaceuticals, is that it is hand in hand with the "War on Drugs". All of the substances that mother nature gave us, to control our illnesses and imbalances, Pharmaceutical companies have a "Patent" on.

They F--ing OWN the PATENT to NATURAL SUBSTANCES that mother nature gave us.. How is this RIGHT?!!?!?!?

I could have an herbal garden with everything I could ever need to control my mental illnesses. BUT ---- Pharmaceuticals OWNS the RIGHTS to them!!!
This means that it is illegal for me to possess these herbs and treat myself.

Do you see how WRONG this is?! We cannot even treat ourselves, with what mother nature gave us. Why? Because these people see it as THEIR RIGHT, to profit on our suffering.

This just upsets me so much. I will stick with my Kratom, until someone decides to turn it into a pill, owning the rights to it -- Therefor, making it ILLEGAL for me to have without an expensive prescription. And believe me, they will do it.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Yeah maybe we should let the medication destory and dumb down the entire population, that way the ones who stay away from medication can inherit the earth as the darwinian approach would suggest.

Nah, im all about helping people. Who do you think educates the doctors!? People think that doctors are so smart just because they have a degree. Just because you have a degree does not mean you are smart because the people who taught you could have givin you all the wrong information thereby making your degree worthless and you not very smart.

Edit for spelling

[edit on 21-2-2010 by (C2C)]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
I am rather disappointed in your lack of confidence in our ability to educate ourselves on these matters - a degree does not mean educated, and a lack of one does not mean uneducated, out of hand - and I find it rather amusing to see the word "dictate" in your dictate.

You have missed the point

I am not saying that we shouldnt educate ourselves, Im saying that people need to stop taking advice as gospel, and under the guidance of a medical proffesional, research. This is precisely why i mentioned the fact of getting more than one opinion if you are not sure, and by trial and error, pick out a medication that works for you.

People on ATS are the worst kind of people to take advice from, as many of us are clouded by conspiracy theories involving "evil agendas" by pharmaceutical companies.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by (C2C)

Today, maybe your response would fly, as it does seem that a huge amount of adolescents are on medication.

I, however, was born in the 1950's and have know people who were not given meds as children, simply because it wasn't done at the time. Usually they were sent to special education classes if they acted up at school. So, they still had the same issues as children today, but were not medicated as children. Most people I know who suffer from depression, or other mental illnesses were not diagnosed until much later in life, even though they always had the symptoms of illness. So, explain that one. They were taught how to deal with issues in life, in an unclouded fashion, but yet have the illnesses they do. Their parents were not lazy and taking the easy way out. Possibly some parents do today, but I will go out on a limb and say that no responsible parent would medicate their child just because it is easy. They do it because they think it will help.

I am sure quite a few of you who tout not taking meds have aspirin, tylenol or some other types of medications in your homes, even though you supposedly don't believe in taking anything.

Get off your high horse already. What works for you might not work for another person. To suggest something that has worked for you is one thing, but to presume it will be the same for another person is not responsible.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by Amaterasu
I am rather disappointed in your lack of confidence in our ability to educate ourselves on these matters - a degree does not mean educated, and a lack of one does not mean uneducated, out of hand - and I find it rather amusing to see the word "dictate" in your dictate.

You have missed the point

I am not saying that we shouldnt educate ourselves, Im saying that people need to stop taking advice as gospel, and under the guidance of a medical proffesional, research. This is precisely why i mentioned the fact of getting more than one opinion if you are not sure, and by trial and error, pick out a medication that works for you.

People on ATS are the worst kind of people to take advice from, as many of us are clouded by conspiracy theories involving "evil agendas" by pharmaceutical companies.

That's not what you said, I think. You said that some of us were dictating. And I will choose not to take umbrage over your statement that we are the worst kind of people to take advice from.

I suspect we are better than average in the world of forums. Our awareness of the conspiracies (which historically are the norm) makes us the sort that eagerly educates themselves. And if you feel that there is no truth to the claims that the pharmaceutical industry is involved with hiding cures and offering things that create, often, a "need" for more pharmaceuticals (at a further profit), and can show that they are working for the betterment of humanity...

By all means, present your case.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Thanks Oz. This is an important point and I am glad you stood up and made it.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Is there incorrect prescribing of medications, yes there is for everything not just mental health issues.

If a diabetic needs to take insulin why would a schizophrenic not be given the opportunity the manage their health?

From those close to me I have seen on it, it does not dumb them down, it simply helps them manage their day so they can go tackle the other issues in their life they need to address.

I applaud you OZ for raising this topic, I have seen far too many People on ATS rant about id rather be crazy than take meds.

Medication needs to be coupled with nutrition, exercise and counseling.

If you are for example a victim of abuse, the medication will balance your chemicals in your brain, but it will not neutralize what happened to you, that needs to be processed and healed also.

There is no pill to fix stupidity either, so maybe some people put too much faith in these medications.

Its not for everyone, but I agree others should not be telling people not get proper opinions and engage in a holistic healing approach.

[edit on 21-2-2010 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I was an A/B student in high school. I performed very well. Some teachers decided to tell my parents I wasn't paying enough attention, and they put me on Adderol.

Now look at a high school objectively, you see some students passing and doing above average. The real problem students are hooting and hollering, starting fights. But they never see the psychologist.

I was sent to the psychologist because I hurt a teachers feelings by not paying attention because she was boring! I either made an A or a B in that class, somebody in there in all statistical likelihood made a C or a D, but they weren't a problem were they?

In this society we blow our problems out of proportion. We go to school to learn to bow at the feet of unbacked, unjustified authority, not to learn. When there is no problem, we make one up. The ego needs it's enemies to survive.

I am darn sure 9/10 psychologist would diagnose me with depression and possibly bi-polar. Knowing they wouldn't really listen to me, and would approach my existence on a most basic and superficial level. I live a good life and I am happy as often as anyone else is. Sometimes you just have to accept that some days are good and some days are bad. You will wake up the wrong side of the bed, but sometimes the day is perfect.

Most anytime someone is called crazy, it's because they are misunderstood.

Mind-altering medication just adds another layer to our problems. Simplicity is the best bet. You can learn to deal with your frame of reference and see it for what it is. I'm sorry, but you simply CANT make yourself be sad 100% of the time, even if that was your lifes goal.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

What you just described is not depression. If anyone said that, you would certainly benefit from changin doctors or getting second and even third or fourth opinions.

However, i am confident that you wouldnt be diagnosed by anything at all.
(well for the most part, and in this country)

[edit on 21/2/2010 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

it wasnt until I started taking medication and started seeing a psychiatrist, that I got better

I'm pretty sure this person likes seeing you as much as you like seeing this person. all part of the plan!!!

it's a conspiracy site, damn it. what did you expect? lol

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I partially agree with OZ in that many medications have saved lives.

It becomes a problem, however, when new psychological disorders are invented on a yearly basis, and more and more medication is shoved down the throats of human beings who could more than likely solve their problems by simply changing their lifestyle.

Medication like Ritalin is certainly one such drug that is used far too often. This is a drug that is primarily geared towards children. Do these children really need a mind altering drug in order to function or could a simple change in diet and lifestyle work just as effectively?

This may just be personal opinion, however, I believe when a substantial percentage of a nations populace is on drugs, there may just be a problem there.

Mankind was able to function for many thousands of years without depending on narcotics to get them through the day.

I am relatively certain that we are fully capable of doing the same today.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I use valerian, a natural form of valium. It has the side effect of helping my tmj.

There is such a thing as chemical imbalance. Biofeedback and walking helps. Sometimes a prescription with talk therapy is necessary.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
reply to post by Novise

What you just described is not depression. If anyone said that, you would certainly benefit from changin doctors or getting second and even third or fourth opinions.

However, i am confident that you wouldnt be diagnosed by anything at all.
(well for the most part, and in this country)

[edit on 21/2/2010 by OzWeatherman]

How dare you. Something has to be wrong with me. You have really hurt my feelings there when you say I wouldn't be diagnosed with anything. I want to be crazy, I want this whole system to disagree with me for the scary fact that I try to think for myself. The rest is just icing.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaden_x
I'm pretty sure this person likes seeing you as much as you like seeing this person. all part of the plan!!!

Actually, no

I did not like seeing her one bit, but in order to get the help I needed I chose to do it.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
if you dont' want to take medication when you're ill, fine by me. I think of it as one of nature's many forms of survival of the fittest.

We have countless examples of wild animals using natural "medicine" to cure ailments

from chimpanzees eating leaves from the Aspilia rudis, to the stones found within a cave at Mount Elgon....animals have found external medicine to cure and treat a wild variety of things all on their own without human intervention.

Medicine works. If you dont' want to take it - then dont complain to me if your vital organs shrivel & you die.

[edit on 21-2-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Yeah, I do agree that if a person is already on medication then you should not tell them to stop taking it. But if they are not already on medication chances are i would advise not taking it. I don't eve take aspirin or anything else! I drink alot of natural living water, infact mostely water and I notice that most of my headaches are a result of dehydration. I don't run to a pill to save me. I understand that somethings will not work for everyone, but what im saying is don't run to medication like it is your savior!

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Thanks for trying Oz but unfortunately your well put message will not reach the ears of most people. The ones that haven't listened are hopefully the ones that will never have to suffer a debilitating mental illness.

All I can say is blogs and youtube videos are not the best source of medical advice. In a medical emergency, people, please don't consult google before 911/000/112.

And congratulations on getting through your depression Oz.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Just to clarify something for me, (I am on your side OzWeatherman).

But isn't giving someone medical advice illegal, like telling them not to take their medication?

I was depressed once, (I think I still am
I relate so much to that little puffball in the zoloft commercials) and after taking zoloft I felt better, and I'm sure it wasn't all in my head (so to speak lol) I've stopped taking it after talking with my doctor about it for a few weeks. Years later, might be time to get back on it.

Kudos OW.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join