It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Cent Survival Knife, Made From HackSaw Blades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'm not going to copy and paste the instructions and site the sources... the owner of the side seems pretty mad at someone who plagiarized him, and I don't want to be accused of anything...

So here is the link. www.m4040.com... You can make multiple knives from each hacksaw blade. If you make one, put a picture of the results.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

The creator of your source seems like a very bitter person...

Anyways it does make sense that a hack saw blade would make a good knife blade. Because the saw blade can be used as part of the knife of course as well as the steel used to create it would hold a really nice edge.

I am looking forward to seeing any other peoples attempts to make one of these. I am sure the only thing needed would be a grinding wheel.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
reply to post by Phlynx

The creator of your source seems like a very bitter person...

Anyways it does make sense that a hack saw blade would make a good knife blade. Because the saw blade can be used as part of the knife of course as well as the steel used to create it would hold a really nice edge.

I am looking forward to seeing any other peoples attempts to make one of these. I am sure the only thing needed would be a grinding wheel.

I would try it... but I don't have a grinding wheel. Thats why I want to see others results.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
My dad made a bunch of these little survival saws when I was a kid.
I still have one that he made. I toss it in my backpack whenever I go camping. It is a very useful and cheap tool.

I like the idea of a blade on one side and a saw on the other. I think I will give a try with my son.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/525591a1606b.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0ce3cc82998c.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 2/21/2010 by Sparky63]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
My dad made a bunch of these little survival saws when I was a kid.
I still have one that he made. I toss it in my backpack whenever I go camping. It is a very useful and cheap tool.

I like the idea of a blade on one side and a saw on the other. I think I will give a try with my son.

[edit on 2/21/2010 by Sparky63]

Post up the pictures when you are done! I hope it works well.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Wow that looks like a pretty impressive shiv that you could make in the machine shop to shank Bubba after that unpleasant shower block incident...

As Scruffy (Futurama) once said. 'Jails alright, you can make Sangrea in the terlet - of course it's shank or be shanked....'

Pretty handy though, Looks a little fiddley and dangerous to use with cold wet hands tho - slicing your self could really get you in trouble - Be careful!

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I have an old knife I made 20 years ago from an extremely rough aggressive cut wood rasp....
The back is 3/16" maybe even a full 1/4" I cold ground it...under cooling fluid...so as not to mess up the existing heeat treatment and anneal it with a hot grind.
Made a horn handle, the back of the knife is as course, as standard hack saw blades.
It's my version of Nick Dundees....."Thats not a knife...This is a knife"
File was 14" to start and just over 2" wide, rockwells around 48-50 Rc.

I like the lil hacksaw pic above though its ...uhh..cute.
TY for reminding me of my ole piece, and yes hack saw blades are great BOB/survival items!

ETA...of course there is no need to use a large file like I did, a 4-6" file would be great too, and still have the cutting/sawing option on the back.

[edit on 21-2-2010 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Cool, now all I need is a plan for a DIY belt sander.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Deny Arrogance

self adhesive sanding disk, put on center of old wheel on a car jacked up and in gear idling....

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Sounds like a nice idea but if you have the time and some extra cash why not buy a cheap knife? Or spend some more money and get a real knife? Part of survival is being prepared and having the right tools.
If you do have a grinder and the equipment to make that blade you could easily get some scrap mettal for free and make any kind of blade you wanted if you are into making your own stuff.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
you dont have to make wood handles for it just wrap with duct tape ,and use bench grinder to reshape blade to your specs,also this" knife" can best be used for fire starting,with flint or other hard rock,and save your sharp edged good knife for real cutting,where you nead a sharp edge,if some of you carry Stainless Steel knife in outdoors,and you shouldnt, this carbon hacksaw blade knife will be mandatory as SS knife cannot be used as fire starter w flint, SS is too hard, the flint or rock will not scape off SS and make sparks.use USA made hacksaw blade for this as some asian steel is crapy.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by madokie]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
i am currently working on making one ill post pictures when i have a good one done (scrapped 3 so far)

top topics

join