It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To All Members Without Anti-Vrus

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Panda Platinum is the fricken bomb.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
almost every time i get on the internet, i get new viruses installed on my computer.

i think it is associated with one particular site, but i'm not sure.

i couldn't figure out how .dll's and .bat files could be added to my system32 directory, programs installed in my program files directory, and my homepage changed simply by browsing.

fortunately i know how to deal with these, so they are mainly just a nuisance.

i just made the change, and i suspect it will greatly help the problem.

being a software guy, this is something i should have known how to do already.

thanks for the tip.

btw i HAVE anti-virus software and use it often.

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by The General]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
AVG and Avast are GREAT free AntiViruses. Avast has a resident scanner that will actually stop viruses from being downloaded and isntalled and delete them. Its reat. I highly recommend Avast....

Edit...make sure you also have a good Firewall, and spyware removers like Spybot, AdAware and SpySweeper. Also...youd get alot less crap if you dont use IE...i recommend FireFox

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Thanks guys for the helpful links in the past posts. I had some out of date anti-virus software. I have now up to date antivirus software. I sometimes use housecall.trendmicro.com...
to scan my pc for viruses and trojans for free. However it seems to require active x to be enabled to work correctly.

Concerning this virus mentioned here, I didn't have my homepage change or see the virus on my pc.

However I did notice/remember that I disabled my restore feature since I discovered a trojan in a backup file but forgot to reenable the automatic restore save feature. I got lucky to spot that one before problems popped up. Thanks for this thread.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Anti Vir is great. thanks for the tip. I found a lot of viruses on my comp using it, its free and easy to use.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dz
Oh yes, and I also recommend disabling ActiveX controls in IE. They are a very big security risk and are not worth it.

What do these things do. I am hesitant to disable stuff I know nothing about. Will disabling them prevent good stuff from running properly?

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Spammers and Virus makers should be strung up by there NADS and hung for a week like that in public view!~

It is sad how we will have to put more and more laws on the internet to get control of a few idiots and greedy people. heh. I barely use my email anymore it is so infested with ad emails.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I dunno, am I just lucky. I get very few spam emails. Aaaand, I use Yahooo, not the most secure thing on the planet.
How do all those junk emails get through to folks' inboxes?

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
UPDATE:

I can't stress how important it is to have current anti virus protection. (I know, I know, get rid of microsoft, etc.)

I've has SASSER try to attack my PC 4 times in the last 6 hours. And, viruses, worms, trojans, etc. will just be getting worse.
So, if you haven't done it yet, do it...NOW, before it is too late.

[edit on 8-6-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
A great way to reduce spam is to use a disposable e-mail address when you are compelled to provide an e-mail when joining a specific site or registering for an offer or whatever.

I recommend:

www.mailinator.com...

You just make up any name before @mailinator.com when you need to supply an e-mail addy. You can make up a new address every time you need one.

If it is information you need to register for something, you can log into the site, enter the address you made up and retrieve it.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Thank you dz. I needed a better virus scanner.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Agreed, I get four or five W32 Netsky attempts every day.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join