It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Dick Cheney Want to Be Prosecuted?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Does Dick Cheney Want to Be Prosecuted?

www.harpers.org

“I was a big supporter of waterboarding,” Cheney said in an appearance on ABC’s This Week on Sunday. He went on to explain that Justice Department lawyers had been instructed to write legal opinions to cover the use of this and other torture techniques after the White House had settled on them.

Section 2340A of the federal criminal code makes it an offense to torture or to conspire to torture.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.lockergnome.com
theburningplatform.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Barak Obama discloses Bush 'torture' methods including use of insects

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
It appears this is more like commentary on Cheney's appearance on "This Week", however, I think it brings up a very valid point. We all know he's got blood on his hands but to admit to breaking the law?

I think what's worse is that nothing will come of this. this will be forgotten and dissipate into obscurity. I have hope, there are more than a few people appalled by this but I think every effort to avoid any sort of repercussions from his statement will be made.

I'm calling the big dick man is declaring DGAF.

Thoughts?

www.harpers.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-2-2010 by piddles]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I think this is just another perfect example of how deep the corruption is now. Cheney has no fear because there's absolutely no reason for it. It's not like there is an opposing political party, or any other branch of government, in place now that disagrees with this policy. It proves that all agencies and branches of federal government are in fact united in their goals.

The illusion is that parties oppose one another and provide safety nets and roadblocks to governmental abuse. This is certainly not true today and maybe never was? Further evidence to this is the exclusion and obstruction of Independent and Third Party candidates being able to fairly compete. Even Rep/Dem candidates like Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich were denied a fair chance at the last presidential election? Only one reason can be made for this and that's their unwillingness to comply with the existing single agenda. There's little doubt that America's federal government can be challenged in their decisions. You can be sure this is so when even media refuses to question anything they do?

There were many warning signs leading to this being inevitable. Allowing lobbies in Washington to buy favor was an obvious one? As was the bureaucracy restricting inventors from beneficial patents? Also, multiple scandals in literally all federal institutions should be telling? FDA has been found allowing dangerous food additives, as well as fraudulent drug trials, all endangering citizenry for corporate profit increases? Recently the US Supreme Courts decision to remove contribution limits to campaigns?

All these things are clearly evidencing governments united intentions. The American people's protections have always been a myth. Government has never held one of its officials truly accountable for their actions? Scooter Libby was immediately pardoned despite his clear guilt? Nixon was too? Cheney is no different, other than the fact that he may have more protection than ever due to the vast legislation to help their efforts in recent years? At this point they can afford to be arrogant after all that we Americans have let them do. American laws are only meant for controlling its slave population. Only earners must conform to laws, or be punished in corrupt courts.

Hopefully though, this level of arrogance means an end is near? An end of this system is necessary regardless of what it brings as a result.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by piddles

He doesnt care because he has been a cyborg for almost 6 years. DickBot has no remorse or feelings or fear of being prosecuted.

Seriously though. It is terrible that govt officials can get away with this. He is admitting to breaking the law and then asking govt lawyers to find a way to make it legal. It is disturbing that this type of behavior is allowed to take place.

Our legal system is a joke and is not blind at all. Justice has selective vision. Usually the poor have the book thrown at them while the rich write the books.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

Wow Zerbst - I was going to say that Cheney has no fear because "they" were all in it together, both Repubs and Libs, and he either knew they wouldn't go after him or he wanted to take them all down with him. Your post was much more elaborative than mine was going to be.

edited for spelling

[edit on 17-2-2010 by tallcool1]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
So because he admits to it makes him Satan. Let's string him up and burn his entrails!!!! What about the 12 countries that still advocate and practice far worse than what he is prescribing too? O yeah it is none of our business. Let them use electricity, and cut off body parts, and blind people. But we scare someone and perhaps psychologically damage them or maybe allow them to turn thier "ordeal" into a talking point, and all of a sudden we are compared to Vlad the Impaler. How about the world court goes after China, Russia, Egypt , North Korea, Indonesia, et. al. He wasn't there "torturing people", he advocated the policy however all over the world people get away with the actual torture and death of people and NONE OF YOU say *&!@ about it. You are so hung up on "Shoot em in the face" that you can't see past your own stupidity.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

The moral high ground, once surrendered, cannot easily be reclaimed. To say look at those other guys, they're doing it so its ok for us, makes you no better than them.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
When Dick Cheney came to Madison WI in 1993 or so I was on the main corner intersection with a sign held up -- "The Biggest Dick of All." Anyway when the local radical media journalist asked a question Dick didn't like the journalist was forcibly removed from the room.

Nice.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by piddles
I think what's worse is that nothing will come of this.

My thoughts are basically summed up by your quote. You see, anyone with the power to go after anyone at that level will very likely not do it.

Because if they are a level to go after him - there are probably enough skeletons in their own closet that they would rather remain hidden.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

If it's government sanctioned torture, the US can't do more other than speak out against it without starting a war.

edit: even though we can't take back the torture and abuse, we can still cut that sh%* out. you can't possibly be against that.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by piddles]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

So because he admits to it makes him Satan. Let's string him up and burn his entrails!!!! What about the 12 countries that still advocate and practice far worse than what he is prescribing too?

You can't be serious?

This isnt about 12 other countries. This is about the united states and its enormously hypocritical actions of first denouncing water boarding, then utilizing it.

It was, and is, illegal.

Who cares if someone else did it - doesn't change the rules.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken,Bush signed some sort of presidential waver that absolved himself,Rice,Rummy,and Darth-Chaney + co,before he left office.

So its my belief that ol' "dont get in the way of my shot-gun beatch" can incriminate himself,but there will be no legal ramifications.

Can anyone verify this?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Waterboarding was a very effective enhanced interrogation technique. That was before talking to a terrorist in a harsh tone of voice was also considered torture.

The only thing not considered torture nowadays is telling them "You have the right to remain silent."

Want to see the Obama administration jump? Just tell them that Cheney just scheduled a press conference.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I don’t know if it could be any better than the brilliant way Zerbst outlined it but to take it one step further from a logistical standpoint what the Bush Administration essentially did in how it set up the legal mechanisms that they would employ to fight the War on Terror was by setting up whole new categories and distinctions for the War itself that would effectively allow them to ignore the Constitution as well as the bulk of all International Laws and Conventions governing warfare.

The creation of the Enemy Combatant distinction was aimed at denying anyone so designated any constitutional or International Treaties and Articles as protections.

In essence nothing Cheney or Company did was illegal because they first moved to put everyone they aimed to carry out offenses against into a legal limbo that denies them any protections or avenues to the Constitution, Geneva Conventions, Red Cross and International Laws of War.

Therefore once that distinction is applied to the Enemy Combatant they are effectively legally stripped from all protections and their persecutors in this case we are technically absolved from having to follow or abide by any known previously existing protocol in that prosecution.

There is one actual major distinction between Republicans and Democrats and that is Republican lawyers tend to be far more effective in structuring litigation and legislation to enable their endeavors. The Democrats are adept at litigiously evoking it, but the Republicans are masters at crafting and creating it.

That confidence that borders on arrogance is more than evident in Cheney’s statements and attitudes.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

I am dead ( No pun intended) serious. Apparently the law only applies to the US. NOT A SINGLE ONE OF YOU HAS STEPPED UP. Well they are a different country so we shouldn;t comment on thier practices....BS. This is not about 12 other countries but the law is only being applied to 1? C'mon. Sounds like a whole lot of the pot calling the kettle black. When you can get the rest of the world, or the other 12 countries, to completley do away with anything that falls under the Geneva convention of torture, then you can impale the U.S.. Until then There is NO arguement you can put forth that is valid. The ,lead by example excuse, is a crutch to allow everyone else do whatever the F they want while centering on the U.S.. I don't care if you hate the U.S., hell I don't like alot of our policies, but I will be damned if I am gonna sit silent while you hippocrits make us look like Mongol Horde.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by djvexd]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

NOT A SINGLE ONE OF YOU HAS STEPPED UP.

Im not going to step up. I didn't vote for during the Bush campaigns, i didn't vote for Bush, and i won't vote for Bush.

I wash my hands of any thing Bush has done bad, and take zero credit for anything Bush did good.

So don't pin this on anyone other than the BUSH administration.

And besides, what exactly, in your own weird little illogical world, would you expect someone to do?

March to Washington and bang on the front door of the white house?

Exactly how much of a difference can someone make from inside the solitude of a nameless jail cell?

Oh, and i don't give a **** about those 12 other countries. I care about MY country. And i don't want some jerk off in the highest office in the land doing things that make ME look bad. Who cares if those other countries are getting away with it....i sure as # don't. It doesn't effect me. At all. Be a sensational dope and call me names for saying that if you want. At least i'm being honest and not pretending like you and yours.

Want some more honesty? I personally don't care about water boarding. I don't care about torture being used in interrogation. I really don't. But i don't want my government saying, on one hand, "That is illegal and we won't do it" then on the other hand, torturing suspects secretly then letting it leak out.

My honest feelings on it are this:

1.) Either do it, and don't get caught (and dont tell me about it)
2.) If you are going to do it, then don't condemn it at the same time
3.) Condemn it and don't do it

I honestly don't give a crap which one they choose. Just pick one and stick with it.

And you call us hypocrites?

You? The guy who supports water boarding after his own government said it should be illegal?

Wow....talk about the most ironically stupid thing i've read all day....

[edit on 17-2-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Not quite sure whom you are refering to when you say that he said it would be illegal then did it anyway? Obama? yup. Bush and Cheney? no. They never said anything about it until it became a a left wing media issue. Then all of a sudden, every assclown from every corner of this world in every country started calling us every name in the book, becasue we waterboarded people. Good for you not voting for Bush. I voted Paul both times. Now you want to say what was I supposed to do? MY POINT EXACTLY! Instead ppl from here and across the seas want to assume anyone who has any say outside of the norm of trashing Bush and Cheney are decidely Nazi sympathizers. I completely agree with your sentiments. But where me and you differ. is that you say "I DON'T CARE ABOUT 12 OTHER COUNTRIES!" Well guess what they care. And they are influencing opinion here with thier anti-american sentiment. It should be very obvious to you as long as you and I have been here. But makes YOU look bad? Who cares? Do you REALLY give 2 #s what someone thinks of you? I know I am stepping in to hippocritical waters here, I care only for my family and what I make of my life.Cheney spoke his mind. He owned up to his views. But he is portrayed as this sneaky shotgun toting devil who will shoot people when he wants to. But you did say it AFTER his own gov't said it wasn't legal. Hmm.... the lawyers and Justices never had a problem with it. But when Obama and his lawyers take office now it is illegal and I am supposed to take stock in that? So what makes O's lawyers that much more knowledgable than W's? O yeah...party. Thanks for overplaying your hand.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Wall of text Crits you for 10,000!!

Paragraphs man, Paragraphs! We all learned them in 4th grade because it makes things SO much more enjoyable for the ... READER!

Does Dick Cheney want to be prosecuted? No, i don't think he does. I think he just feels like he's done nothing wrong.

I can admire that, except fro the fact that he represented a government that makes claim to being the greatest in the world, and that says torture is never right...then turns around and does it.

Its pathetic and to stick up for it is even worse.

[edit on 18-2-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Cheney is exhibiting arrogance and great confidence in the fact that no one will prosecute him for fear Cheney will send the secret military assassination team he controls to "DISSUADE" anyone from prosecuting him or his friends even if that means they must find their prosecuting enemies that threaten their power and have them commit suicide by shooting themselves in the head twice with a shotgun.

If only we had a real Justice Dept. that actually pursued justice and if only there were those in government that actually took their oaths of office seriously enough to pursue the vast amount of corruption that exists among politicians, lame street media giants, corporations too big to fail, co-opted science groups, medicine organizations, and the vast amount of military corruption existing in our defense industrial complex.

Large scale corruption is what Cheney represents and as such his corruption is the pentacle of corruption that others wish to emulate.

It's time to end the corruption and we should begin with Cheney.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Dick Cheney doesn't want to be prosecuted, what he's doing with his “Torture worked” tour is actually an attempt to rewrite history and justify his actions in hopes that no one in the US will eventually arrest him.

I'm sure he, and others in his administration, won't be traveling to any foreign countries anytime soon, they have no illusions of that. Manipulating the minds of the people in the US through fear-mongering and with a worthless corporate media, however, is much easier and a feasible goal. Trying to convince the rest of the world, on the other hand, especially when you're on the wrong side of the law, not so much.

It also helps that, even before any inquiry and investigation was ever conducted, President Obama right from the start of his presidency explicitly stated that no former White House officials would be prosecuted for these policies.

I must say I'm always baffled by the ‘lowering-of-the-standards’ argument used here by djvexd—saying that other countries do it too so no US official should be prosecuted until those other countries are prosecuted for it. If you use China's and North Korea's actions to justify our use of torture we have the same moral authority than they do, then who the hell are we to police the world and dictate to others what they can do in their own countries?

It was the United States that put itself in this place. The US has boasted its own moral authority and standing, through every Presidential speech that has called out for the defense of freedom and justice everywhere, and through its military might, has made itself the de facto police force of the world.

If you don't think we should be held to higher standards than China or North Korea, let me, respectfully, tell you sir to read the United States Constitution.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join