It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli TV Jokes About Haiti Earthquake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This gives new meaning to arrogant. We know of the suffering and still ongoing tragedy unfolding in Haiti. To poke fun at the situation is mind boggling. It could well turn out to be on of the biggest natural disasters in history, yet somehow the israelis find humour. Sure they poke fun at the IDF and their deployment, but the sketch hits a new low showing a man under rubble being rescued while the idiots in the audience laugh on. Gutless and heartless morons.

src

brill

[edit on 16-2-2010 by brill]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
They forgot the funniest part! Where the Israelis move in and steal the organs of the people trapped in the rubble...

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I found the video to be more tongue in cheek than anything. Kinda like the Daily Show in the states.

In poor taste, perhaps.

But I don't think its meant to accurately portray Israel's response to the crisis.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

This is obviously a parody of Israel's claim that they were the first rescue team on the ground and have done wonderful things for the Haitians (thought they pulled out early). This is critical of said claims and mocks only the PR coup Israel tried to pull off by helping in the disaster.

Also the thing to note is that Israel blocked Gaza's aid supply except the monetary.

The Red Cross director was only able to accept financial donations as transferring goods out of the Strip is near impossible, Al-Khudary added.

Source:www.haaretz.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I found the video to be more tongue in cheek than anything. Kinda like the Daily Show in the states.

In poor taste, perhaps.

But I don't think its meant to accurately portray Israel's response to the crisis.

I can see your point and thanks for posting. Surely there must be a dozen other topics to poke fun at, tongue in cheek or not. I wonder how well this would be received if the shoe were on the other foot and the israeli's were faced with a natural disaster of this magnitude. The anti-semitic bells would be ringing loud and clear that much is certain.

brill

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is hardly an "official Israeli response". Rather, this is AN Israeli response. Actions speak louder than words:

Israel rushes to Haiti's aid
Just a day following the devastating earthquake in Haiti, 220 Israelis, comprising teams of doctors and rescue and relief workers, are already on their way.

Link: www.israel21c.org...

Israel is doing all in its power to help the people of Haiti cope with the disaster in their country. A 220-person delegation, headed by Ministry of Foreign Affairs officials, will leave Thursday evening (14 January 2010) for Port-au-Prince on two Boeing 747 jets leased from El Al by the IDF. The relief package includes a Home Front Command field hospital and rescue unit, as well as teams from Magen David Adom and Israel Police.

Link: www.mfa.gov.il...

Israeli Hospital, The Most Advanced in Haiti
...Thus far, the Israeli search and rescue units have rescued 70 people from beneath the rubble.

Link: www.isrealli.org...

Israel sends aid to Haiti — Arabs and Turks don’t

Link:fresnozionism.org...

Praise for Israeli mission in Haiti: 'Only ones operating'

Israeli field hospital earns accolades as only aid mission able to do complex surgery in devastated country. CNN reports other missions transfer patients to Israeli base. ABC reports on young woman giving birth there.

Link: www.ynet.co.il...

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Where do you see jokes about Haiti earthquake? It is a satire on Israeli rescue efforts in Haiti, and it is done in bad taste since this is the motto of the program. They do all in bad taste.
By the way, i am puzzled why you do not care about this
www.theonion.com...
for example.
This is not about same Haiti? Or simply source is not Israeli and thus is allowed to make bad taste jokes involving other people tragedies?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Wow...its like the Daily Show...

but its missing something...hmm...what is it.

you know...that stuff that the daily show has...

oh, right.
Humor.

seriously...is this show considered funny over there? Man..thats some rough form of entertainment.

I have no objection to have a bit of fun over tragedy so long as its tasteful (or not completely tasteless anyhow)...but, at least make it mildly amusing.

As far as the content of this video, they werent making any jokes about the earthquake, now...were they. They were simply doing satire on being self important...laughing at themselves for being rather ineffective but blowing up their efforts...I also think they were indirectly poking fun at the US for taking tons of credit in the relief effort without mentioning much about other nations also helping..

still, unfunny...their delivery sucks.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It would be rather nice to know where the video actually came from in the first place. No idea who actually shot it (as in, what the TV show is). If it is really from Israeli TV, ala the Daily Show, then yeah, I think it is a great way to show people that the average Joe the Plumber of Israel doesn't necessarilly tow the PR crap that their government spits out.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Where do you see jokes about Haiti earthquake? It is a satire on Israeli rescue efforts in Haiti, and it is done in bad taste since this is the motto of the program. They do all in bad taste.
By the way, i am puzzled why you do not care about this
www.theonion.com...
for example.
This is not about same Haiti? Or simply source is not Israeli and thus is allowed to make bad taste jokes involving other people tragedies?

here,

he says: "it was worth going through the whole earthquake if it let us eventually meet wonderful people like IDF soldiers"

maybe you should watch the video before you comment...

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

he says: "it was worth going through the whole earthquake if it let us eventually meet wonderful people like IDF soldiers"

????
I hate to explain jokes (especially as cheap as this one), but for sake of my own sanity:
Target of this satire is Israeli reporter reporting from Haiti (aka "bad guy" caring only about PR of IDF rescue team/Israel) who instead of helping the person , chases away real rescuers and distorts victims pleads for help/water into all kinds of absurd declarations promoting IDF. Like your example.
This is called satire. Hope it helps.

[edit on 16-2-2010 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

yeb but its not funny and defiantly wrong timing, and wrong use of words... lets see, you're a 32 year old haitan man, the earthquake destroyed you're shop and killed all you're family members including you're 2 children, then you watch this and hear that line... how would you feel?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RizeorDie
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

yeb but its not funny and defiantly wrong timing, and wrong use of words... lets see, you're a 32 year old haitan man, the earthquake destroyed you're shop and killed all you're family members including you're 2 children, then you watch this and hear that line... how would you feel?

Me personally, I would laugh bitterly if I had already been told how Israel was bragging about being the first on the scene and the only one with good surgical facilities. All of that may be true, but if you want to be a hero, you don't brag about it. That just makes you look cocky.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

But i do not argue that it is bad taste. Very bad taste. Still, the target of this satire are Israeli actions in Haiti. Not about Haitian tragedy.
By the way, last time i saw this program (Eretz Nehederet or "magnificent country") was years ago. Reason is their bad taste and shallow jokes. So i am personally not surprised by their level. I just do not get how Israel as a country gets criticized due to some lame joke from Israeli private channel, especially since this joke is attacking Israeli actions.
You think that Haitian men would like Onion's joke at expense of his tragedy? But for some weird reason nobody will criticize US because of that.

top topics

join