It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Sacked(fired) For Wearing Cross Loses Appeal

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

i understand logically why it would be a judicial and social problem but it already IS those things. so i'm thinking, were everyone in agreement to allow each other to safely carry artifacts related to their beliefs, such as tokens, daggers, idols, totems, science books (mwahaha), etc and not to employ them in a dangerous or harmful fashion, i don't see the problem with it. since it's not my place to dictate to another person what to believe or how to live (provided they aren't doing anything that could blow up my house or what have you. . ya know, the guy who started jet propulsion laboratory accidentally blew himself up with rocket fuel (he was designer of solid rocket fuel the space shuttle uses today) he was mixing in his own gargage, which happened to be on the ground floor of a larger home and did damage to home above him......for example )

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

so i'm thinking, were everyone in agreement to allow each other to safely carry artifacts related to their beliefs, such as tokens, daggers, idols, totems, science books

If it illegal to carry a dagger then the law should apply to all and not be suspended because a religious belief.

If for example the US decide to make gun ownership illegal, would it be right to suspend the law for those who believed a god wants them to wear one on their chest ?

Would not a swathe of the population decide to have a chest gun god and insist that the law be suspended for them too ?

What would be the point in a law that only applies to some of the population ?

Would that not be the same type of law that granted men a vote but denied it to women ?

It was sad that women had to go through so much to have the obvious observed, but to do it all again for the sake of religious beliefs is positively insane and regressive.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

well laws regarding carrying weapons are a social issue that is slightly different. in that case, i suppose it'd have to be up the community itself or the country, depending on type of government. i 'm just trying to point out to you that everything is a matter of perspective and extremes in perspective. some extremes in perspective don't hurt anyone, and some do. conversely, some "normal" perspectives are extremely dangerous and some are not dangerous at all. like creating rocket fuel in your garage while in the pursuit of science, is extremely dangerous but considered normal for a scientist lol

that didn't sound right, i know.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by undo]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Personally all religion should be banned. Religion has caused more deaths than anything else. I am sick of people using religious grounds based on passages wriiten over 1000years ago or more to justify their actions. If people need rules to define on how to behave thats fine but ask people in todays society on how one should behave and not rely on someone whos been dead for centuries.
If by banning religious icons people bring to work is the 1st step to this then i am all for it.
Before anyone asks yes I do believe in God but I dont need no damn religion for that..

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by loner007

Personally all religion should be banned. Religion has caused more deaths than anything else.

care to back that up?
Joseph Stalin, Atheist: 20 million plus dead
Mao-Tse-Tung, Atheist: 40 million plus dead
Pol Pot, Atheist: 2 million dead
Kim-Il-Sung, Atheist: 5 million dead

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

i agree that religion may not be necessary for some people. but did you notice we are individuals ? this is an important point. would you be any more comfortable if there was a law banning what you personally believe? this is something everyone should consider. i don't believe in atheism, but i wouldn't ban it. not in my job description as a human being. i don't believe in islam, but i wouldn't ban it. not in my job description as a human being. etc etc and ETC.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99 reply to post by moocowman

You're delusional. You say there is no God and get offended because of a cross. Why do you fear something that other people believe? Was she shoving religion down your throat? It seems you try to bash on religion every chance you get. You really need to learn some tolerance towards other religions. Take yourself off that pedestal and join the rest of your country, friend.
yeah right xcowman! Your an idiot! Cuz your just an idiot! I got no need to debate you, cuz your an idiot! I got ma b'leefs an they right, cuz I wuz tol they wuz right, n'if you think dif'rent your an idiot!

S&F my friend. Kick 'em while they're down. We'll get to the rest later... or our children will.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman

No I'm not, I'll defend this poor deluded woman's right to believe what she wishes to the very end, as long as she keeps it to herself until asked.

So why don't you keep your idiotic thoughts/expressions to yourself until asked? Your offensive, but have every right to be and I won't stop you from being such. Sure I will have an opinion, just as you do concerning her wearing a cross, so whats the difference? I guess your to blind to see that your as much of a problem as those you point fingers at. So much for you making anything better.....

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

Personally all religion should be banned. Religion has caused more deaths than anything else.

care to back that up?

Well for one it can be argued all those you listed had a godlike complexion and those who didnt worship them was killed....
Anyways that isnt the point the point is how many deaths has christians caused since it founded the crusades spanish inquistion english civil war(where henry broke free of cathlic church). How many individual deaths has religion been responsible like homosexuals(Levicticus 20:18)i think) or how many died by not converting. How many people were tortured and beaten in order for them to believe in a religion like african people being taught to be christian or muslim. How many people have had their hands chopped off because religious texts demand of it. etc etc etc.

War has killed many in a short time...REligion has killed many more but u dont hear about those because when you do its only one or two. However when you add those numbers up you will find religion has definetly caused more deaths. You really dont have a clue about history i suggest you go and learn it.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

Sure I will have an opinion, just as you do concerning her wearing a cross, so whats the difference?

The difference is I don't have an opinion about her wearing a cross, please have the courtesy of actually reading my posts before slagging me off.

I have made it quite clear on several occasions that I would defend this womans' (deluded or otherwise) right to wear what the hell she likes. But not at work ! She cannot be allowed to use her religious beliefs as leverage to circumvent contractual obligations or gain religious favour.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

care to back that up?

Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot did not commit these atrocities "In the name of atheism" they happen to be atheists committing atrocities.

Kim is worshiped as a god no different to yahwehjesus -

Often North Korean sources place him as an "almighty spirit" that was born and died in human form, almost in a similar manner to Jesus Christ.[2] Also, many North Koreans believe he "created the world".[2]
Courtesy of Wiki

67 Million dead people, not one in the name of atheism-

Which god was it that was whispering in the ear of Bush telling him to love his enemies in Iraq ?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
reply to post by Kaploink

" Oh no! A Cross! now my day in ruined!"

I don't see your point, if anything, the person that gets offended is very self centered.

Would you be centered or knocked off-center if I were to wear jewelry commemorating Kanamara Matsuri (the Shinto Festival of the Steel Phallus) at your place of business? If religious symbols like the christian symbol of death should be allowed in the workplace then why not this Japanese symbol of life?

" Oh no! A Phallus! now my day is ruined!"

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Lilitu]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

So, not unexpectedly there was more to the original persecuted xtian than meets the eye -

Excerpt from The Guardian Newspaper article -

"The complaint of direct discrimination fails because we find that the claimant did not, on grounds of religion or belief, suffer less favourable treatment than a comparator in identical circumstances."

This is crap.

I'm not even a "christian" (I do believe that JC would still consider me one of his though) and I support this lady wearing a cross.

The "modern" country was founded on christian principles. yeah, I know that they screwed over the pagans of the past but jeez. Those idiots of those days are long dead and so are the laws.

Is this a bid for a Malleus Maleficarum against Christians?

Not on my watch!

"[Eweida's] insistence on privilege for Christmas Day is perhaps the most striking example in the case of her insensitivity towards colleagues, her lack of empathy for those without religious focus in their lives, and her incomprehension of the conflicting demands which professional management seeks to address and resolve on a near-daily basis."

Justice appears to be served here and perhaps will send a clear message to those of a religious bent that would seek privilege because of their belief in magic bling.

This is another giant step for the voice of reason demanding that people keep their delusions to themselves and in their homes (preferably their heads, but hey we can't expect miracles) where they belong.

Link to full story -
www.guardian.co.uk...

(Hope Ashley D will give me 50 points back for finally posting correctly lol)

[edit on 12-2-2010 by moocowman]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

That's just stupid.

You're basically comparing a handshake to a punch in the face.

Say a place bans the act of extending a hand in a gesture of good will. People complain about it.

You come along saying "Well if it's ok to shake hands, then you should be ok with this!" and punch someone in the nose.

My point is, a cross is NOT a symbol of hate. A swastika in the tone you provided IS. Pisschrist is a mockery of the cross, a deliberate act to try to enrage christians (who I might add, did not kill or rage against it) and the mohammod turbin bomb cartoon is also a mockery of faith - which DID result in death and rage.

You may think someone's belief is the same as someone's right to mock personal faith, but I don't. Let alone should someone be sacked for it.

Sheesh, the world is really going topsy turvey, everything is allowed one way only, and anything over the other side, is right for ridicule mockery and denigration.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

reply to post by Equinox99

It is not shoving one's religion down anothers throat. That is like saying having a picture of a monkey on your cubical is pushing evolution down my throat.

This isn't about taking a monkey to work, it's wearing a monkey at work when the dude who pays your wages insists that you wear his squirrel comprende ?

Not sure if you're thinking that through too well there..

You're basically saying that you'd force a christian to wear a hijab at your work, if you so insisted.

Because to wear your squirrel over their monkey, you are saying just that.

Now Im fairly sure, if a dress code is maintained and you are not a safety issue or a health hazard, and you do not go against company policy or involve your personal beliefs that would not be endorsed by the company you work for with a client, you can pretty much wear jewellery of your liking.

Or you could force your employees to work nude, and hey, they can go find work elsewhere if they dont like it, right?!

"Women will like what I tell them to like!" - Homer Simpson.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

reply to post by Equinox99

She is no more deluded than you are. Where did you get your evidence before you start calling this lady delusional?

I saw her on TV or newspaper discussing this jesus fellow (the one that appears in the bibles) and how he speaks to her.

oO

Uhhh, okkk. that spins it right round, baby... She sounds like the sort of woman who sings hyms on a bus when people get on, and says Jesus loves you when you tell her to shush...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

You're basically saying that you'd force a christian to wear a hijab at your work, if you so insisted.

No, she can wear what the hell she likes but at work she wears what her employer asks of her or she can work for someone else, that simple.

Sorry to be short gotta get to bed.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sozen94

This is a CHRISTIAN country
Correction: once upon a time, when people still wore orange & brown stripes, the UK was a christian country. These days, less than half of us even profess to be christian & of those that do, very few actually go to church. Perhaps you've noticed that your local church is now an antiques auction house, or nightclub?
No. Yours is going strong, right? Its just all the others in Britain that are closing down.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheJenkster There have been studies into the correlation between religious belief and mental disorders - all have concluded there are none
That's potentially very interesting. Can you provide us with some links to these studies?
Personally, I'd bet they were carried out by American christian institutions, but as a person of spiritual belief but no religion, I'd nonetheless be very interested to read something credible on the subject.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Wearing a cross causes no one any harm. This is about hate and control. It is a policy worthy of Mao.

Having said that, it is the companies right, but that does not make it right.

Everything like this that happens in our society is another cancerous cell waiting to destroy us. This is a systemic mental illness comparable to psychopathy. A society where one group dictates the morals and behavior, of others acting within the law, to another. The antithesis of what created this country. A step backwards toward the reason we fled other cultures of oppression to start a free society.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join