It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Sacked(fired) For Wearing Cross Loses Appeal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
So, not unexpectedly there was more to the original persecuted xtian than meets the eye -

Excerpt from The Guardian Newspaper article -

"The complaint of direct discrimination fails because we find that the claimant did not, on grounds of religion or belief, suffer less favourable treatment than a comparator in identical circumstances."

"[Eweida's] insistence on privilege for Christmas Day is perhaps the most striking example in the case of her insensitivity towards colleagues, her lack of empathy for those without religious focus in their lives, and her incomprehension of the conflicting demands which professional management seeks to address and resolve on a near-daily basis."

Justice appears to be served here and perhaps will send a clear message to those of a religious bent that would seek privilege because of their belief in magic bling.

This is another giant step for the voice of reason demanding that people keep their delusions to themselves and in their homes (preferably their heads, but hey we can't expect miracles) where they belong.

Link to full story -
www.guardian.co.uk...

(Hope Ashley D will give me 50 points back for finally posting correctly lol)

[edit on 12-2-2010 by moocowman]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I have to agree. If someone's religious beliefs are out of line with their company's policies, they should find another job, not sue. This goes for Christians and Muslims.

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

You're delusional. You say there is no God and get offended because of a cross. Why do you fear something that other people believe? Was she shoving religion down your throat?

It seems you try to bash on religion every chance you get. You really need to learn some tolerance towards other religions. Take yourself off that pedestal
and join the rest of your country, friend.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
SO...someone loses their job because they were wearing a cross?

Could someone revive me please.....I have fainted.

Could you please tell me why it is ok for some people to wear their religion - turbans etc, and why it is not ok for womeone to wear a cross?

Only in America ....what?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I'll admit, yeah she shouldn't shove it in peoples faces, but ill also admit she should be allowed to express herself without people bashing her.

There are religions, and lately it seems people wish there weren't so bad they will do anything to keep the religions from expressing themselves.

Or in other words, taking rights away.

Both sides are equally wrong in their doings in this case.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
sorry, accidentally double posted.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by gandhi]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kawacat

Health and safety policy that's why. It applied to everyone working where she did in regards to jewelry.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

You're delusional. You say there is no God and get offended because of a cross. Why do you fear something that other people believe? Was she shoving religion down your throat?

Why yes, religious displays at places such as workplaces are shoving religion down ones throat. As the non religious or believers of different faiths can't very well avoid the other co-workers.

Also, I don't think it's fear, but rather an annoyance over the insensitivity that so many religious people show to others.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

" Oh no! A Cross! now my day in ruined!"

I don't see your point, if anything, the person that gets offended is very self centered.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
i dunno, it smacks of holy roman empire's polar opposite. ya know, use to be some people were offended when someone wore any kind of jewelry at all, or the piece of jewelry depicted something else, like the all seeing eye of egypt, or a pentagram. just when things are starting to balance out in the middle, the freakin' pendulum has to just keep going to the other extreme. it can't just relax. it's gotta be one way or the other. we can't just get along and like each other regardless. we can't just let bygones be bygones and quit holding each other responsible for stuff we didn't do, we have to just keep playing that eye for an eye card. thing is so worn out. the edges are frayed. it's stained and bloodied, and wrinkled.

ah well, here we go again.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Congratulations, you are allowing someone’s rights to be trampled on, because you don’t believe in there God. She’s has the right to were that cross, it is a freedom of expression. Everyone here pat yourself on the back you are advocating someone losing their rights, because it doesn’t fit into your beliefs system....

Last time I checked this was still America and you could pretty much do what you want as long as you were not hurting anyone. And her wearing a cross does not hurt anyone. If that’s the case all Jewelry needs to be banned.

Move your arses over to Saudi Arabia and try to practice your no god beliefs there, will see how long you last there. Or Iran, before there police beat you for one of your postings...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

You're delusional. You say there is no God and get offended because of a cross.

Please provide evidence of my alleged delusion.

I do not say there is no god

No I'm not offended by a cross ( in this instance the representation of an instrument of torture)

Why do you fear something that other people believe?

That depends on what these other people choose to believe and whether or not they choose to act upon those beliefs.

Was she shoving religion down your throat?

I don't actually know the poor deluded lady, however I am reasonably familiar with the beliefs she subscribes to and her and these particular doctrines instruct the individual to shove it down my throat. This is evidently borne out in the continued battle of nonbelievers to remove xtian influence from our lives.

It seems you try to bash on religion every chance you get.

You observe correctly, indeed I do it's called self defense, I'm defending how I choose to live from the influence of others who would have me live as they believe.

You really need to learn some tolerance towards other religions.

No I don't , no more than I would tolerate a boil on my bollocks I simply lance it. How dare you say I should tolerate people that would condemn me for living how I choose.

Take yourself off that pedestal

What, and bow down to those on theirs ? No chance matey I'm in all the way.

and join the rest of your country, friend.

In what exactly ? Recovery from centuries of religious repression and interference ? Lol the party is just getting started dude.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Your very biased. You listen to what other people say, and stick with it hard. Always allow for correction, and for god sakes, don't hate people just because they believe something differently.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

She’s has the right to were that cross, it is a freedom of expression.

I guess you won't mind people express their expression like this

Well the "freedom of expression" road goes both ways. If you allow someone to display their symbol you should allow the Pissing Christ, Swastika and Islam Cartoon symbol also.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Why should anyone be offended by a cross?

this is simple, I see a cross and I think of crusifiction. This was popular back in ancient rome for prisoners, political threats, etc....aka, it was a multifunction murdering tool.

So, to wear one means your pro slaughtering of humans whom disagree? or perhaps your wearing it for ironic purposes...either way, its a pretty nasty subject to bring up at a workplace...take off your crosses, nooses, etc and get back to work ya hippy.

kidding btw...frankly I think its just jewelry, but its also a slippery slope (my religion has a symbol of two nude women in a erotic embrace to symbolize the gift of the two forms of life, physical and spiritual...surely nobody will object to me wearing my symbol around the workplace.)

[edit on 12-2-2010 by SaturnFX]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Congratulations, you are allowing someone’s rights to be trampled on, because you don’t believe in there God.

No I'm not, I'll defend this poor deluded woman's right to believe what she wishes to the very end, as long as she keeps it to herself until asked.

She’s has the right to were that cross, it is a freedom of expression.

Indeed she has and indeed it is and I will defend her right to wear what the hell she likes, be it an instrument of torture or a hat shaped like a penis.

However if she's my employee she wears what I pay her to wear or finds another job.

Everyone here pat yourself on the back you are advocating someone losing their rights, because it doesn’t fit into your beliefs system....

Nope, we should be patting ourselves on the back for moving one step closer to an age of reason.

Last time I checked this was still America and you could pretty much do what you want as long as you were not hurting anyone.

Dude, if your boss requires you to wear a tie but jesusyaweh requires you to wear a canoe guess who's gonna win ?

And her wearing a cross does not hurt anyone. If that’s the case all Jewelry needs to be banned.

Indeed, in many places of work jewelery is banned, it is the choice of the employer get a grip or get another job.

Move your arses over to Saudi Arabia and try to practice your no god beliefs there, will see how long you last there. Or Iran, before there police beat you for one of your postings...

Dude not believing something is not a belief , why on earth would I want to move to a country that is governed by religious tyranny when I'm attempting the continued struggle to free my own country from it.

What is notable is your stoop to the fear of violence in order to persuade me to think like you, hm I can only assume your an xtian as this is quite normal practice for many of them when their beliefs are questioned.

Keep it up dude, more points from jesus.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Geeee.... Look at the source... The guardian.. The woolly jumper, half rimmed specs wearing, bra burning femi-nazi lefty crappy newspaper read by six people

If the lady wants to wear a cross then so be it.. Why on earth should it bother you sooo very much??? Are you that lacking as man that you are scared of an itsy bitsy bit of jewelery???? Or dracula maybe??? Whats your deal?? Coz you sound more of a evangerlist for your own "religion" than any christian..

Get a life Moo

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Your very biased.

Indeed I am but kind of an open minded skeptic

You listen to what other people say, and stick with it hard. Always allow for correction, and for god sakes, don't hate people just because they believe something differently.

I don't hate anyone mate, and yes I do listen to others all sides and form an opinion based on the evidence presented and available but I'm pretty adept at changing my opinion which is much easier than changing a belief.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Yes they are offensive but they still have a right to wear them.... Nowhere in the constitution does it say you have the right to not be offended.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed
Geeee.... Look at the source... The guardian.. The woolly jumper, half rimmed specs wearing, bra burning femi-nazi lefty crappy newspaper read by six people

If the lady wants to wear a cross then so be it.. Why on earth should it bother you sooo very much??? Are you that lacking as man that you are scared of an itsy bitsy bit of jewelery???? Or dracula maybe??? Whats your deal?? Coz you sound more of a evangerlist for your own "religion" than any christian..Get a life Moo

Hi I know this questions is not addressed to me but I would like to reply it.

I personally don't mind what other people wear or "show" as long as the rule is for everyone. When some symbols or expression like I mentioned in my previous post such as Swastika, Pissing Christ image and Muslim Cartoon is illegal to show in public then it becomes biased. If one asks for "freedom of expression" then other things should also be included or all banned from public display. As long as the govt. doesn't change its 'biased' rule for "freedom of expression for all" untill then I regard people showing their religious symbol as offensive to me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join