It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DISPLAX - The future of interactive screen displays

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Firm grows multi-touch see-through 'skin' for gadgets

There is a new product on the horizon that aims to revolutionize the way we think of interactive graphical user interfaces. It is being developed by a Portuguese company called Displax. The device would allow a thin overlay of a film that acts as an active display touch screen, enabling a formable screen to be placed on nearly any object. This adds a new form of utility to the ever expanding world of ‘on the go’ interactive displays.

OVERVIEW Transparent polymer film that can be applied to non conductive materials and turn them interactive. Very thin, it uses projected capacitive technology, making it possible to apply on the back of a glass and detect finger touch on the front of the glass.
BENEFITS
• Turn any non metallic surface interactive
• Display interactive contents in unusual places
• Let your audience engage with you
FEATURES
• Flexible transparent interactive film
• Interactivity goes through non metallic materials up to 17mm of thickness
• Sizes from 30'' to116*
*Standard specifications, custom-made units can be produced
SPECIFICATIONS
• MATERIAL: Flexible and transparent electronics polymer
• DETECTION METHOD: Nanowires grid technology polymer-based
• CONNECTION: USB and Serial (different sizes)

From airports to military operations, this thin display would allow for a wide range of practical uses. I sense perhaps a development of interactive newspapers to adds on street corners. A fantastic addition to an ever techno-minded 21st century.

www.displax.com...

[edit on 11-2-2010 by Blood Eagle]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up. Seems pretty cool to me and I can't wait to see what they come up with that uses this tech. Is is similar to OLED by the way? OLED can be used on many surfaces too I think.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Pretty nice technology, I can't wait to buy the overlay for my LCD monitor and see if it passes the taste test.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redwookieaz
Thanks for the heads up. Seems pretty cool to me and I can't wait to see what they come up with that uses this tech. Is is similar to OLED by the way? OLED can be used on many surfaces too I think.

According to Displax, they make no mention of OLED being integrated into the display. Instead they mention a multitouch controller attached to a nanowired polymer film. So this must be the main feature on the Displax.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Nice!!

Time to buy some stock !

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Imagine robots with this as their skin..

Now that would be nifty and practical!

Star and Flag

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Can't wait to decorate my room walls with this polymer film and turn it all into one interactive 2d holodeck

Fascinating how fast technology progresses

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience
Can't wait to decorate my room walls with this polymer film and turn it all into one interactive 2d holodeck

Not sure about that. I remembering watching educational shows in the late 1980s and early 1990s and they all talked about the years beyond 2000 and all the things we would see.

By now I should have a HoloDeck, Personal Aerial Vehicles, and the cures to most diseases.

Oh, what went wrong?

As for this Displax thing, it reminds me of those foldable computer interfaces I saw on the Caprica show on SyFy.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by DJM8507]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
That is awesome... Can I play my xbox on it?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

You betcha! You betcha you snugger! You can play and lay and even on a bay! Yes you may, and be gay (archaic meaning)!

The reason these things come out the way they do is purely based on demand & offer.
Oh well, at least it's out there.

Peace, and love.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507

Originally posted by Clairaudience

Not sure about that. I remembering watching educational shows in the late 1980s and early 1990s and they all talked about the years beyond 2000 and all the things we would see.

By now I should have a HoloDeck, Personal Aerial Vehicles, and the cures to most diseases.

Oh, what went wrong?

As for this Displax thing, it reminds me of those foldable computer interfaces I saw on the Caprica show on SyFy.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by DJM8507]

"The Caprica" ??????

You'll have to ask the Guatrau for forgiveness after that faux pas, you fracken ninny!!!

I think there is a lot of possibilities with this. I like the robot skin idea above too, that would be perfect - no more specific sensors but a tactile skin that can feel, and even that can tie in to "the caprica" show

I'd love to see more on this, a video or something to really show what it's like. So many times we get a nifty technological idea only to find out it's not quite what we thought and the excitements fades..

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sllapur
reply to post by SuperSlovak

You betcha! You betcha you snugger! You can play and lay and even on a bay! Yes you may, and be gay (archaic meaning)!

This squid wants some of your special Ink !! Oo

The reason these things come out the way they do is purely based on demand & offer.
Oh well, at least it's out there.

Peace, and love.

But please, don't let them make it for the xbox... please... enough with the damn toys, build it for the PC and let them eat ports...

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I cannot seem to get the video links to work, but here is a link to a demonstration video of Displax. Displax Video

[edit on 14-2-2010 by Blood Eagle]

top topics

join