It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Shuts Down Gmail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Iran Shuts Down Gmail

www.foxnews.com

Iran's telecommunications agency announced what it described as a permanent suspension of Google's e-mail services Wednesday, saying instead that a national e-mail service for Iranian citizens would soon be rolled out. It wasn't clear what effect the order had on Google's e-mail services in Iran.

Google didn't have an immediate comment about the announcement, which comes as Iranian authorities deployed in force across Tehran Wednesday to conduct last-minute security sweeps and warn residents to refrain from joining antigovernment protests planned for Thursday -- the anniversary of the
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com
thenextweb.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Foreign media banned in Iran

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I mentioned this on my other thread, but thought it serves thread of it`s own.

So basically they're replacing GMail with JihadMail?

Government officials, meanwhile, ratcheted up threats against any protests Thursday, vowing to confront demonstrators on the streets and calling for government supporters to turn out in large numbers. Iranian officials have branded protesters as agents of foreign powers."

I wonder, how long till Obama thinks this is a good idea? Hum, new Executive Order coming soon?
George Orwell must be rolling over in his grave!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Maybe Iran did want their people to have access to Buzz?

Bad enough trying to clamp down on a fairly speedy web based email client, but for the Iranians to have a version Twitter/Facebook bundled with it too. That is too much a Western idea of compact efficiency for a modern totalitarian regime to allow. Besides it would be too easy for Mossad agents to organize decadents.

edit because decadents makes far more sense than decedents

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
WARNING: Google Buzz Has A Huge Privacy Flaw

There is a huge privacy flaw in Google's new Twitter/Facebook competitor, Google Buzz. When you first go into Google Buzz, it automatically sets you up with followers and people to follow.
The problem is that -- by default -- the people you follow and the people that follow you are made public to anyone who looks at your profile.

In other words, before you ever touch any settings in Google Buzz, someone could go into your profile and see who are the people you email and chat with most.

I`m stunned

Wonder if the two have any connection, hmm?

forgot the link

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Hithe Merinos]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Not to detract from your story or anything Mr.Hithe Merinos but I feel I have to ask this.

Are you a "cognitive infiltrator" ?

Sorry if it is off topic but for some reason I really wanted to ask this.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

Sir,

Sorry for answering your question with a question, but may i ask how did you came up with that?

To answer your question- NO

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
The Iranian regime, because it is all about control of information is paranoid that Google is also all about control of Information. The Regime is suffering a severe case of Psychological Projection.

Of Course, Google, by cooperating with spooks (NSA) is not helping the situation

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Okay i was alerted with a "NSA" being mentioned.

Well google is and was as is MS directly involved with the NSA. Do not think otherwise. How do you think that Microsoft become the giant it is today. It had the green light from the 70's. As for gmail, well, lets say thats as secure as your cell phone. There all open to the right people for the right reasons.

Just a friendly pointer. If you do use gmail as an everyday mail sender then perhaps getting yourself accustomed to encrypting all your messages to and from will ease yourself.

But current Number One threat to this very day, is encrypted mails. The problem isn't if they are able to break the encryption, it is about who or what mail do you begin focusing your attention on. As encrypted mails are several hundred million every hour it does create the problem of what mail is to be decrypted and how many resources will it drain.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by tristar]

new topics

top topics

join