It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama the scold

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I hate it when he wags that overly feminine finger at us.

For a president who ran on uplifting themes like change and hope, Barack Obama spends an awful lot of time scolding Americans about how he hopes they’ll change. He has advised parents to “replace that video game with a book and make sure that homework gets done.” He has urged members of Congress not to read blogs or watch 24-hour cable news. And he’s challenged lobbyists, lawmakers, bankers, journalists, insurance companies and other heads of state to do a better job. He’s prodded people to get off the couch, eat healthier and exercise more. He’s even suggested Americans buy stocks, U.S.-made cars and energy-efficient light bulbs, while cautioning them not to max out their credit cards. At times, having Obama in the Oval Office is like having a really powerful Dr. Phil around. Read more: www.politico.com...

I think there about even in influence.

But lately, Obama’s tsk-tsking has gotten him into some trouble. At the very moment he’s trying to recover his declining popularity and revive his party heading into the November elections, even some Democrats worry that he risks coming off not as the inspirational figure who galvanized the electorate in 2008 but as the embodiment of a dour Democrat that turns off some voters. Read more: www.politico.com...

There's that lady finger;

Obama drew criticism for his unusual finger-wagging at Supreme Court justices as they sat in the House chamber during his State of the Union address. He also used the speech to once again press Congress to go public with its earmarks. And Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, Obama’s fellow Democrat, recently told him to “lay off Las Vegas” when Obama urged fiscal restraint by explaining, “You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college.” Read more: www.politico.com...

link
On a serious note I truly believe he would love to control us and tell us what to do because he believes he is so much smarter........NOT

His incredulity comes from the fact that we don't just blindly follow him.

On a third note and I say this with all honesty,he should be a stand up comedian.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The thing is he's probably quite right, but people hate being told what to do, especially by a politician.

So: put away your computer games and read a book and talk to people/your family. Go for walks in the park and feed the ducks. Don't blow your money on gambling when you need to save it for something far more important.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I don't need this parasite who never worked a day in his life telling me what to do.He should tend to his own affairs instead of telling us how to attend to ours!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

I liked this one.

He has urged members of Congress not to read blogs or watch 24-hour cable news.

So if I get this right, he would prefer congress to be blind to the fact that The People are not happy with the direction saint obama is leading us? That he wants congress an the Senate to only look to him for direction?

Oh and as for his pointy finger? I've got a finger for him too.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by Chance321]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You know whats odd....I hear tons of people saying Obama needs to realize people aren't happy with where he is going.

but the people whom say this are devout neocons whom didnt like where he was going before the election anyhow.

oh well, some neos will simply refuse to leave their own world.

Your right though, Obama said something, therefore you should do the exact opposite.

(I do hope Obama comes out and tells people not to eat large amounts of poison...that should sort out one issue)

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I would like to see him say something that stood up to reason and we will put your little theory to the test.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Well, it seems there's alot of people that don't trust the man. The stock market took another hit again so obviously wallstreet has no faith in him or his plans. Lets face it, his track record sucks. He's been in office for over a year an that whole time was spent trying to shove national health care down our throats. A whole year that could've/should've been spent putting our economy back on track. Instead his big answer is "tax the rich more", "cap & trade" and the up an coming son of stimulus 2.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Let me preface this by saying that I voted for President Obama, and I do not regret that decision. In addition, my politics are extremely far left, whereas the President's are not. I am also a strong opponent of authoritarianism.

Ignoring the acerbic tone of the OP, I have to say that it is remarkable that a criticism of this nature is being directed at President Obama. I think a far more astute criticism is that he is overly cooperative with his opponents. Let us have some perspective here, and recall that it was not too long ago that Mr. Obama's predecessor was proclaiming himself as "The Decider." I think we've come a long way from that level of executive arrogance.

The fact of the matter is that President Obama is a very intelligent man. That is very difficult to dispute. It remains to be seen whether his strategies will bear fruit, but I don't take issue with him "scolding" the Supreme Court, for example, on its lack of judgment in its recent decision which does, in fact, open the door for corporations to wield even greater power in our elections. That decision is not popular on either side of the aisle, nor on this site. I thought that was one of the key points of the State of the Union speech, and he did it respectfully.

Mr. Obama is often criticized as being unable to exert enough influence over Congress, taking a more conciliatory stance on many issues. However, the underlying motivation behind this thread seems to suggest that he is taking too strong of a stance, as evidenced by the examples of "scolding." Quite honestly, while I do not interpret him as scolding his opponents, I think he is starting to display a greater degree of backbone, based upon the SOTU address and his recent meetings with the Republican and Democratic caucuses. We need a President who is able to call people out on their BS, which is exactly what happened when he spoke with Republicans. The idea of meeting with the parties in this way is something unusual in our politics, and demonstrates that President Obama is neither a wilting flower nor an oppressive nanny.

Time will tell, and I could be wrong, but I suspect that Mr. Obama is playing a different game than our politicians usually do, and I believe he has good ideas and good intentions. Sure, developments may be slower than even his supporters would like, but I'm not willing to attack him for his tone or give up on him yet. The amount of anti-Obama vitriol expressed on this site is depressing to read, as I cannot recall a U.S. President with less blood on his hands, more common sense, more decency, and perhaps more intelligence than Mr. Obama. I don't agree with him on everything, and I wish he'd veer closer to the left, but I don't expect miracles, either.

I give him credit, though, for being firm and clear about his intentions. I don't take that as scolding, but as a refreshing reminder that there are a lot of people out there, from politicians to average Americans, who are playing a dangerous game, and who really don't know what's best for them. Sometimes people need a firm talking-to, especially when they're ill-infomed and crippled by ideology. Obama is no ideologue, despite the cries to the contrary.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
The thing is he's probably quite right, but people hate being told what to do, especially by a politician.

So: put away your computer games and read a book and talk to people/your family. Go for walks in the park and feed the ducks. Don't blow your money on gambling when you need to save it for something far more important.

Agreed, and Americans hate being told what to do more-so than most, I think. The message he's trying to get across is "be responsible." He's been pretty consistent on that message since the beginning. It's futile, though; Americans are stubborn, and we're going to do what we want to do no matter what.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CrowServo

The fact of the matter is that President Obama is a very intelligent man. That is very difficult to dispute.

Not only do I dispute it,I defy you to justify it!At best he is a skilled speaker but don't confuse that with intelligence.I think when you strip away the teleprompter there is very little going on.Maybe I'm wrong I'd love for you to prove me wrong and show me his college transcripts.Oh yeah, that whole dishonesty thing he has going on sorry I forgot.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This little bit I found on townhall.com

Michael Beschloss and radio host Don Imus:

Michael Beschloss: “…this is a guy (Barack Obama) whose IQ is off the charts…”
Imus: “Well. What is his IQ?”
Historian Michael Beschloss: “Pardon?”
Imus: “What is his IQ?”
Historian Michael Beschloss: “Uh. I would say it’s probably - he’s probably the smartest guy ever to become President.”

Really? The “unbiased” but clearly in-the-tank for Obama “historian” Beschloss thinks Obama is the “smartest guy ever to become president.” Okay. Based on what? The SAT scores Obama won’t release. The college transcripts from Occidental College that Obama won’t release. The transcripts from Columbia that Obama won’t release. Any existing IQ scores that Obama won’t release.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
genius/idoit you really do have a [snip] for Obama don't you?

I mean nearly every single thread you author is about hate Obama this and bad Obama that. Shesh oh Pete, we get it, you don't like the guy. Good for you.

I really think you obsess too much about Obama.

So, here's the thing, what is wrong with a parent telling their children to put down the video game and go do some homework or read a book?

And maybe politicians could I don't know, read some mail from their constituents instead of watching 24 hour cable news shows? Maybe that will get their attention. You know, responding to what their constituents say?

But no, straight from politico to ATS to make an Anti Obama thread, how many Anti Obama threads does that make for you this year?

I would say get a hobby, but man, you already have one.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

The worst part is .

We have to go through at least 3 more years of this tripe.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I notice you completely avoided the question.I haven't checked but I would say half my posts are a direct rebuttal to some one making an outrageous claim about obama like the post earlier in this thread.I could be wrong.But anyone who unjustly deifies obama is going to have to back it up.

How can you be so cavalier about the person running your country?
He is dishonest and most likely a criminal.I happen to think that is deplorable.Sorry if I voice my opinion, like obama I'm sure you wish I would just shut up.

Am I to believe you think obama was just giving some good sound advice?He clearly wants every one to IGNORE the news and just let him do what he wants without criticism.

Not gonna happen!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

Not if you wake up use your powers of deductive reasoning and help us get rid of the guy.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

I notice you completely avoided the question.I haven't checked but I would say half my posts are a direct rebuttal to some one making an outrageous claim about obama like the post earlier in this thread.I could be wrong.But anyone who unjustly deifies obama is going to have to back it up.

What question? There is no question in the OP, just you agreeing with an article from Politico about how Obama scolded members of the legislative branch. You didn't pose a question at all.

How can you be so cavalier about the person running your country?
He is dishonest and most likely a criminal.I happen to think that is deplorable.Sorry if I voice my opinion, like obama I'm sure you wish I would just shut up.

Clue in, he is a politician, a Chicago politician at that, if you didn't know he was dishonest from the start you weren't paying attention. Yes you get to voice your opinion, that's fine, my problem is we have heard this same song and dance from you too many times. It gets pretty old after a while, let's check out genius/idoit's new thread, yep, an Anti-Obama thread, man we could make a drinking game out of your threads, or I could make some money betting people that your next thread will be an Anti-Obama thread.

Am I to believe you think obama was just giving some good sound advice?He clearly wants every one to IGNORE the news and just let him do what he wants without criticism.

Is that what you gleaned from that? Hmm, interesting, What I got was maybe it would be better if people made up their own minds instead of letting the main stream media tell them what to think. Maybe, it would be better if people checked out the source material more than just letting some brain dead pundit tell you your opinion.

Not gonna happen!

You're probably right, not gonna happen, the people that hate Obama will just suckle at the teat of their favorite propaganda station and just parrot whatever they are told.

top topics

join