It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Murtha Dead: Died At Age 77

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Congressman John P. Murtha (PA-12) passed away peacefully this afternoon at 1:18 p.m. at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, VA. At his bedside was his family.

Murtha, 77, was Chairman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense.

This past Saturday, February 6, 2010, Murtha became Pennsylvania's longest serving Member of Congress.

Okay, what does this mean for the population of Pennsylvania? He was the longest serving member, meaning he was the current one I am assuming? Will there be new elections or what?

I had not heard the man had been ill.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
There is a headline on Drudge about this too, but the link doesn't work. Probably just hitting the wires.

Wonder how PA picks a replacement? Every state seems to do it different.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I heard he'd checked into the hospital,but they said he wasn't that sick.I think he's a dem.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I understand that he had gall bladder surgery about a week ago and has spent the past few days in ICU. He is a democrat.

[edit on 2/8/10 by zenjewel]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If you don't have anything good to say about someone, it's best not to say anything at all.

That being said...this might not be a popular thread.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

That's exactly why I'm keeping quiet on this one, but I may chime in later.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Agreed. I can't say I was a fan, but I'll leave it at that. My condolences to his family.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
He died from complicaions following gallbladder surgery. He was 77, and the longest-serving congresscritter to date.

He was a congressman that represented the Johnstown area. He was corrupt and, imo, a non-patriot. PA is a blue state and he will probably be replaced by another democrat. Iow, no change at all.

cbs4.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
A temporary Representative will be appointed by the Governor. Since Pennsylvania's primary election isn't until May, I believe that his seat will be up for grabs in this year's election.

My condolences to his family and I'll leave it at that.

I just thought of something. Since Pennsylvania's Governor can't run for another term (term limits) don't be surprised if he appoints himself to the seat.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by JIMC5499]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
If you don't have anything good to say about someone, it's best not to say anything at all.

BS! If the man was a corrupt politician (let me remind you, that means PUBLIC servant, not SELF servant) then people have every right to point out his shortcomings.

And if he was as corrupt as they say he was then thank God he's out of office, one way or another!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
He died from complicaions following gallbladder surgery. He was 77, and the longest-serving congresscritter to date.

He was a congressman that represented the Johnstown area. He was corrupt and, imo, a non-patriot. PA is a blue state and he will probably be replaced by another democrat. Iow, no change at all.

Not necessarily....In the "blue" state of Massachusetts, a Republican won Teddy's senate seat...But in a way you're right. Whether they vote Republican or Democrat, there wouldn't be much difference...

[edit on 8-2-2010 by sugarmonkey]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
What's going to happen to the airport that was named after Murtha?
The airport is hardly ever used, now it can expect a 30% drop in passenger traffic.

JOHNSTOWN, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- Located outside a small Pennsylvania city, John Murtha airport may not see many passengers. But it's seen plenty of arrivals of tax dollars from Washington, most recently economic stimulus funds.

Democratic Rep. John Murtha says it's his job to direct federal funds to his district in Pennsylvania.

The airport offers three commercial flights. In between the arrivals and departures, airport officials admit there are few faces around the facility.

"When the flights are coming in, there are people. Other than that, it's empty," said Scott Voelker, manager of the John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport.

But one face is everywhere. Rep. John Murtha, the airport's namesake, is hard to miss.

Remote Murtha Airport Lands Big Bucks From Washington

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
How could ANYONE not consider this man an American Patriot?

A few career highlights:

U.S. Representative John P. Murtha has dedicated his life to serving his country both in the military and in the halls of Congress. He had a long and distinguished 37-year career in the U.S. Marine Corps, retiring from the Marine Corps Reserve as a colonel in 1990.

As the first Vietnam War combat Veteran elected to Congress and a career Reservist, he has a rare combination of experience that enables him to lead his colleagues and the nation on defense issues.

Upon his retirement from the Marine Corps Reserve in 1990, he was awarded the Navy Distinguished Service Medal by the Commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps.

Source and full bio

I salute this man and his tireless lifelong efforts to make America a better place.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Removed sort of a duplicate post regarding his airport ...

[edit on 2/8/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

I salute this man and his tireless lifelong efforts to make America a better place.

Then he got elected to congress and found out that there are millions (billions?) of ways to waste the taxpayers money on any and every pork barrel project he could imagine.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Then he got elected to congress and found out that there are millions (billions?) of ways to waste the taxpayers money on any and every pork barrel project he could imagine.

Oh yeah I almost forgot. Only Republicans can be considered valiant since they have a monopoly on decency, religion, honesty, honor and patriotism.

[/sarcasm]

[edit on 8-2-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
With Murtha gone who will funnel millions of taxpayer dollars to his familys defense business?

Shame nothing ever came of that Abscam sting. It's like they just wanted us to know they were all corrupt as hell and there wasn't anything we could or would do about it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

....and topped off his corrupt congressional career by badmouthing the Marines..

michellemalkin.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Politically, we may dis-agree on some things....yet....

He was a HERO!

He brought jobs to the Johnstown area...

He loved our country...

He will be missed....

God bless his family in this difficult time.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Oh yeah I almost forgot. Only Republicans can be considered valiant since they have a monopoly on decency, religion, honesty, honor and patriotism.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by kinda kurious]

If you now understand all of that, then I have to give you credit for making a ton of intellectual progress since I last read one of your posts.

Keep up the good work!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join