It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real news is on...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Ello ATSers,

Often you hear people slamming other people for their news sources, telling them to stop watching MSM, dont quote this site or that site because they are jaded political mouthpieces pretending to be news (Air America, NewsMax).

I was wondering, what sites would you suggest as credible and good sources for news that is not corrupted by the partisan nonsense, coverups, etc.

Although I am in the USA, that doesn't mean that only sites pertaining to American interests need be displayed. Anyhow, pretty simple and lets not try to slam everyones ideas (unless someone mentions Rush Limbaugh or Olberman's blogs as a credible non-partisan source, then feel free to enlighten)

The BBC - Outsiders view looking in for the most part. If you want to know about the forest, ask someone outside of it

Reuters - pretty passionless up to the second news source from around the globe..only issue is it can be chaotic and overloaded

ScienceDaily - Good summery of actual science progression and breakthroughs that often are profound and slip through the msm bulletpoints (see the breakthrough before its suppressed)

So, what would you suggest to people to use as information portals without trying to drive home a personal agenda?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

www.almanar.com.lb...

great website with very accurate stories, its all truth and i've tested it so many times... no cover-ups no propaganda, only truth...

edit

once you open the website select english language, thank you

[edit on 8-2-2010 by RizeorDie]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I like Global Research myself.

Thank you for asking. Good thread, S+F

Cuhail

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I think the problem isn't that some source are biased and some are not; it isn't that some have an agenda and some don't.

It's that in all cases, there is an unpredictable mix of fact and opinion, which isn't identified. It's that we have attributed 'authoritative' status to the entertainment industries that bring us our 'news'.

The institution responsible for bringing journalism to the consumer has been overtaken by the institution bringing entertainment, for the most part.

Communities like ours allow us to compare and contrast 'reporting', thus distilling from the 'news' that which seems most consistent..., and even that can and has failed us from time to time.

If you are a 'consumer' of news, as many are; your choices seem not to lead to better - more factual - news, but towards news that you perceive to be better - which may or may not be a subjective matter.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Bias, agendas and the news media are nothing new. You are right, it's up to the reader/listener to figure it out for themselves. In colonial times, there were revolutionary newspapers and there were Tory newspapers. We also hear what we want to when we read stories which may be biased either one way or the other.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I happen to like Rense.com. Its kind of a news pickover site from all different sources, some of them questionable, some not.
Democracy Now is also a decent news source.
I tend to to be of the opinion that all news is biased as people cannot help but be biased towards their own agends.
As a general rule I would check out several different sources and take from it what you will.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I believe that there are a couple of web sites that are actually quite good to quote.

wn.com...
www.macedoniaonline.eu...
www.euronews.net...
www.themoscowtimes.com...
www.enn.com...

[edit on 8-2-2010 by Misoir]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
for Europeans and other too their is www.eutimes.net : there is not a lot of news but sometimes it goes right.

For french, the www.jovanovic.com is a blog with daily uptades (each morning) about the financial crisis and liars about the "economic recovery" (with a lot of details and financial/geopolitical/economic explanation) but it's in french (maybe you can use the google translator for no-french speaker)

there is also www.alterinfo.net but it's becoming crappy since few days (but also in french).

pravda.ru (english or russian language) is also a nice source of news, with a different point of view than the US one.

you also can read alex jones website (Prisonplanet.com or infowars.com) but make your own opinion !

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
By the way I forgot to thank you for this thread because I'm also looking for some other point of views in news !

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
In long run and deep of insight I vote for globalresearch.ca . They published few BS articles but their archive is still worth of reading after years. It is not typical news source, they publish primarily analysis. Al Jazeera is IMO on similar level as BBC but they focus more on social issues (that is what I'm missing completely in 90% of western MSM). Asia Times is respectable news source with good commentary, almost unknown among western society. Also (US) Salon and The Nation have sometime good analysis but it is not my regular reading. Le Monde Diplomatique is the best French analytical newspaper on foreign affairs.
The Other camp may be well presented by Debka File.
In my opinion every source of information/des-information is worth of reading - if reader is equipped with critical mind.
After years I'm quite bored by MSM because I can well predict what this or that source will write about this or that event. In fact I use them mainly for cross-reference and as subject of my propaganda studies.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Funny I always thought that the real news was at

therealnews.com...

But I am quite fond of the BBC too. I'll make sure to check out the Moscow Times :-)

Thanks for the links

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
There are some good suggestions here. I like the Christian Science Monitor, don't let the name fool you as it doesn't not appear to have a Christian agenda. It's good for US news and especially good for international news.

www.csmonitor.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Speaking as someone from the Uk, I can tell you the BBC's news reporting has really gone downhill over the years.

Although nowhere near as bad as ITV or Sky news it is pretty sensationalistic and does its fair share of fear mongering. I watch Channel 4 (Uk) news and its the pick of a bad bunch.

I would really recommend anyone who is interested in how the media manipulates and controlls our fears to watch Newswipe, hosted by the excellent Charlie Brooker. It will open your eyes.

Its scary and hilarious too.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by the way]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

The BBC - Outsiders view looking in for the most part. If you want to know about the forest, ask someone outside of it

BBC.... Really? I agree with an above post that everything is a mix of fact and fiction, and it's all about the agenda and what they have to change for it. BBC probably has lots of real interesting things, but I wouldn't relax too much watching it. I'm pretty sure they are signed up to be the head brainwashers when England starts crumpling to a dictatorship (which it kind of is already).

new topics

top topics

join