It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Images of Shuttle Launch

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Awesome stuff!

Shame I'll never get to see it in the flesh.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thx for posting these pics

They are really awesome! I like the 3rd one best

I saw someone else raise the question about 'the moon' / bright object.

It's still strange that it looks like a full moon when there was just 1/4 of the moon shown in the sky.

Can a flare of light just change the appearance of the moon so much?

Peace!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Not to sound like someone thats been living under a rock for quite some time but can someone explain to me why these are the last few lift offs?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The hardware's getting old and creaky, and it's time to start thinking about replacements.
Hopefully a program that gets developed better than Constellation!

I watched this live online, first time I've done so. I think I'm going to have to take a vacation to Florida this year to catch either STS-132 or STS-134. I'll be beating myself up for life if I don't see it in person.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I was lucky enough to be logged on BTS 30 min before the launch, I had never seen a launch before and thanks to mutter everyone on was so helpful to get me links to watch it and share in my excitement... My best ATS/BTS moment so far.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Have to say, they are some beautiful pictures.. the second one is actually now my desktop wallpaper.. one thing i did notice about them.. on the second one, i thought the object to the lower left side of the photo was some sort of light strip on the water, until i realized its a fishing pole!
now, how can you be fishing at a time like this? lol

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Can't believe I missed this one.
Thanks for the pics very nice...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melyanna Tengwesta

I saw someone else raise the question about 'the moon' / bright object.

It's still strange that it looks like a full moon when there was just 1/4 of the moon shown in the sky.

Can a flare of light just change the appearance of the moon so much?

Definitely! Even though it's only a 1/4 moon, it is still an object sitting in direct sunlight. These exposures are at least 30 seconds long, so a sunlit object is going to be so overexposed that it'll just leave a bright, round, burned-in blob on that area of film.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Excellent photographs OP! I'm very impressed.. Star & Flag; thank you for sharing.

I took a short video of the launch as seen from my back yard approximately 50 miles away from Kennedy Space Center. The video isn't exactly high quality; but, does manage to capture a little bit of the magic.

I filmed the second video in an area much closer to KSC

The audio within the video is coming from NASA TV which I had streaming to my laptop

What a sight; night launches never cease to amaze me...

(click to open player in new window)

STS-128 / Discovery - night launch.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by CosmicClearance to add second video]

[edit on 8-2-2010 by CosmicClearance]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

S & F

I love this stuff.

Here is a little tribute video I put together a few months back

Enjoy.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melyanna Tengwesta
...I saw someone else raise the question about 'the moon' / bright object.

It's still strange that it looks like a full moon when there was just 1/4 of the moon shown in the sky...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the exposure time was 114 seconds and the camera was stationary (no tracking). Therefore:

1. The Moon would have "moved" relative to the camera in those 114 seconds (as evidenced by the trails left by the stars), and
2. The over-exposed Moon would create a large amount of bright glare.

This is only a guess on my part, but I suppose those two factors combined is what led to the 1/4 Moon appearing spherical.

I would like to add that the photographer himself identified the bright blob as the Moon.

[edit on 2/9/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJTP
reply to post by deadforce

March 18, 2010 at 1:34pm est
More hardware for Space Station

Yeah, BUT, what are they doing up there ????

Billions of bucks for WHAT ????????

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by downunderET

It's not really a mystery.

The primary payload of STS-131 is scheduled to be the Multi-Purpose Logistics Module Raffaello.

EVA1: The crew will use the Station's robotic arm (SSRMS) to remove the new ammonia tank assembly (ATA) from the Shuttle's Payload Bay and stow it on the Stations Mobile Transporter (MT).
EVA2: The crew will again use the SSRMS to remove the old ATA from its location on the S1 truss and will temporarily stow the ATA on a CETA cart. The new ATA will then be installed on the S1 Truss and the old ATA will be moved to the MT until EVA3.
EVA3: The crew will remove the old ATA from the MT and stow it back in the Shuttle's Payload Bay for return to Earth. On this EVA the EVA crew will also do some work on SPDM (the "hand" attachment for the SSRMS) and they will also remove the LWAPA plate from Columbus and stow it in the Payload Bay.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Awesome photos man, I hope I can see a launch first hand one day.
Unfortunately they are not very frequent in Aus.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
sorry where are the pics again ?? cuzzzz I don't see the link ..

2nd line

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

All the pics seem to still work fine here.

They're hosted on MATS so I don't see why they wouldn't work.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join