It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Images of Shuttle Launch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Here's a few great photos of todays shuttle launch, STS-130 which is the last ever night launch.

There's only 4 more launches left so photo opportunities are running out, you'll have until September (I think) this year, so if you've been procrastinating, pull your finger out!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/727a9e0033fd.png[/atsimg]

Camera Canon 5D II Digital; Lens Canon EF 28-135mm, f/3.5-5.6 IS set at 28 mm; Exposure Info. ISO 800; f/5.6; time exposure as seen from Gainesville, FL (130 mi. from Cape), 2010 Feb. 8. Shuttle still rivaled 1st magnitude stars as it disappeared over trees to NW. Bright object on right is Moon.

Higher resolution:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/38cf7e4f894d.png[/atsimg]

Having driven almost 200 miles roundtrip for the non-launch on Sunday morning, we decided to stay local and watch from the fishing pier on Lake Harris just south of Leesburg Florida. There were about 40 others there including early morning anglers. We were not disappointed! My Canon 7D caught the soft glow on the horizon as the shuttle rose over the lake creating a reflection of the launch trail. The shadows of our observers can be seen on the mist just above the lake.

Higher resolution:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b89614e41b4c.png[/atsimg]

Went to the duck pond in my neighborhood in Lake Mary, FL and took this with my Canon Rebel Ti1 on a tripod. 114 seconds, F10. Got the moon too reflected in the lake, and you can see some star trails. Four minutes after launch, the sound rolled over my quiet neighborhood as well.

Higher resolution:

Anyone get any shots they want to share?
I know mblahnikluver got some video footage, she had a pretty good spot to see the launch.

Credit:
Howard L. Cohen
Terry Allshouse
Richard S. Wright Jnr

[edit on 8/2/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Awesome!

Beautiful Work!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Brilliant images - we should have a prize for the best photos!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Beautiful pictures.

I wonder when we will hear plans for future space missions now.

Next one is STS-131 on March 18th I think.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Bright object = moon? Moon was 25% not full moon?

Or is it ufo???

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by hande
Bright object = moon? Moon was 25% not full moon?

The photographer said it was the Moon.

I suppose the blur caused by the 114-second exposure and the glare caused by over-exposure perhaps makes the Moon appear spherical? That's my guess, anyway.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I made the last one my new wallpaper =)

Great images! Must be a blast, no pun, to live so close to the launch pads. No matter how old you get, you can always feel like a 12 yr old boy atleast once every few months..

!!!
!!!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Way better than the view I had from Vermont. Love em all!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Thanks Chad
Here is my video of the launch

Launch view

It took me forever to get this uploaded lol I have never uploaded a video let alone owned a camcorder...lol

Great pics too!!!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Bravo! Gives me goosebumps to see how far humanity has come.

Nothing is more beautiful!

S&F!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Emiai

I'm afraid it will be some time before we see our own space program get back into space. The "replacement" for the Shuttle, the Ares, did not do very well in the only test flight that has been launched. With funding cuts at NASA the Ares development will stretch on for years.

Its amazing that the Shuttle program has lasted as long as it has. When contracts were let out to contractors to begin building hardware the technology used was already pretty old. When the first launch lifted off in April of 1981 the technology was, at best, 10 years old. A few improvements were made in the early 90s but not very many. The vehicles are getting pretty old and those launches are pretty hard on the structure.

We need to somehow get the folks in Washington to put a higher priority on the program.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

S&F, thanks for sharing the pictures. I hadn't even been paying attention to much lately so this is a refreshing site - to see something other than death and destruction.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I fell asleep. missed it..

when is the next one?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by deadforce

March 18, 2010 at 1:34pm est
More hardware for Space Station

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Nice shuttle launch. Want to buy a used space shuttle?
They are only $29 Million each. Place your bid today.
BTW, i think they will remove the engines. They will land at
an airport of your choice.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Those are indeed some very nice pictures...... THanks

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

The engines are clean since they just use hydrogen and oxygen as fuel but those little 4" black circles you see all over the body, the manuevering jets, they're deadly. They burn monomethyl hydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide.

If I decide to buy one lol, they can give me the engines but get rid of the jets.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Those are some wicked images! (S&F) Thanks for sharing with us Chad

Does anyone know of any good quality links on any video websites of night launches? Please post if you do.

Edit to add: Best one I found so far www.youtube.com...

[edit on 8-2-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Great pics.

I really like the one where it looks like the shuttle launch is reflecting off the surface of the lake.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Wow, I'm surprised this thread hasn't received more stars.
Very cool pictures, you're privileged to witness a space shuttle launch that close. As an inhabitant of Holland, I can only imagine how it's like to see (and hear!) such an event live.

I guess I'll never know

top topics

<<   2 >>

join