It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Realtime World Statistics...Wow!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I've been looking at this website for a few years. It's guaranteed to make *most* people pause and blink.

The rate of population growth is in excess of deaths. Healthcare, obesity, forest loss, water resources....

As the counters increase, it raises questions without answer.

Check it out and see for yourself....

Worldometers: Real Time World Statistics

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
That is a cool, eye opening site.
I gotta get my calculator out to see how long till the end of oil.

Some sad #'s for humanity.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Thank you so much for that link =)

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
There is just something disturbing with the number of deaths from starvation versus the number of obese. Maybe it has something to do with distribution of food. Some of those numbers are sad and some are scary. This planet is really dynamic when you look at these numbers rolling.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Man, I am soo spoiled in the west...

I cant believe people still die of hunger in the world...I mean, you hear of little villages and such hit by famine now and then, but you also hear of how much money is spent on aid to stop hunger.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ViperFoxBat

heh...jinx

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
VERY cool website

Maybe the people who run that website could also estimate the money made from marijuana sales in the U.S. alone so we could get a realistic figure as to much much tax revenue that would generate in 1 year.

That may not solve all of our financial woes, but it would be a good start.

Peace

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing

Some of the stuff there just blew me away,
14,107 Species that have gone extinct this year

S&F

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
That is truly a great website. S+F
second line.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Here's some other good ones that have a lot of similar information and more too.

Interesting to compare ....

Poodwaddle World Clock

Peter Russell - World Clock

StopTheHunger.com

And for a really informative site with links to statistics for organisations, agencies, commities, and national offices all around the globe try this:
Worldometers REALLY detailed and fascinating stuff!

Happy counting everyone.

[edit on 6/2/2010 by nerbot]

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Hmmmmm .... yes, I agree that those are some very thought provoking statistics.

But then again, how are the values able to be updated so rapidly ?
Such as "deaths today" ... if x number of people died in the world in the last 10 mins, how are these latest deaths able to be reported on so quickly to enable the death value today figure to be increased ?
Same goes for many other of the statistics such as "tv sets sold worldwide today" and "email messages sent today" ... somehow i can't see my local shopping centres IMMEDIATELY reporting their tv sales to this website !

As far as I'm concerned, the values being reported are in fact NOT accurate and representative values of the CURRENT state of those categories ... I'm more inclined to believe the values are nothing more than statistical extrapolations and could possibly be even very far of the true values.

So interesting and thought provoking ... certainly.
Acuurate ? Most likely not.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

I think these kind of clocks are programmed using "averages" taken over set time periods and updated at regular intervals. Eg, every week or month.

Either that or they use santa to go round and do some serious counting on his 364 days off.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperFoxBat
There is just something disturbing with the number of deaths from starvation versus the number of obese. Maybe it has something to do with distribution of food. Some of those numbers are sad and some are scary. This planet is really dynamic when you look at these numbers rolling.

You die faster from starvation than you do from disease brought on by obesity.

Personally I dont see how any of those numbers can be verified, im sure their are hundreds of deaths that go unreported, what about people that go missing?, alot arent labeled as dead for years... when in fact they where.

So to me the site while interesting... just isnt correct from my point of view. If anything id say its just another 'lets depopulate before its to late' mouth piece.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Cool website, i always wonder if these websites are accurate though.

Heres another one that is sort of similar and pretty interesting:

Breathing Earth

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Doubt it's actually accurate, especially with the Death today meter..

But very interesting to see.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
Doubt it's actually accurate, especially with the Death today meter..

But very interesting to see.

It's never going to be 100% accurate. It uses an algorithm based on stats collected from national and international agencies. Have a look at the very long list of sources!

The site has a FAQ and doesn't attempt to deceive....

Are numbers obtained in real time? How is this possible?

Numbers displayed on the web page are obtained automatically from Worldometers’ algorithm. The algorithm itself, and the numbers included in the algorithm, are not updated in real time simply because the sources from which the data is derived are not able to provide real time updates, but only periodical ones. Worldometers’ team updates the algorithm, and the numbers and formulas herein included, on an ongoing basis as new data becomes available.

How accurate is the data?

As accurate as it can get. As with any statistical data, numbers are not a 100% accurate representation of the phenomenon, but they nevertheless provide an informative description of it. For each set of statistics we perform extensive research and data mining in order to bring the most authoritative, comprehensive, and timely information to be displayed on the counters. However, numbers in most cases can’t be exact because the sources from which the data is derived, even though they are the best available in the world, are not able to provide exact numbers, but only estimates. This inherited limitation must be taken into account for the correct interpretation of the information.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I came up with 42.8 years until the end of oil. That explains ALOT.
If only everyone could/would take the time to contemplate some of the information on that link.
There are some very interesting, and very sad stats. S&F

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Thank You! Why does it take so long to have an educated response. It never ceases to amaze me how so many people - even here on ATS - will just gladly line up to be spoon fed lies.

C'mon, Please. The oil stats do not account for any of the South American newly discovered oil which is estimated to be 600% more oil than all other known oil fields, and yes it is the sweetest crude.

I'm just really getting sick of these disinformation artists posting here on ATS in an attempt to sway the people who have good hearts but may be lacking in knowledge.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by factbeforefiction]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by factbeforefiction

I'm just really getting sick of these disinformation artists posting here on ATS in an attempt to sway the people who have good hearts but may be lacking in knowledge.

Let's hope their 'good hearts' don't feel insulted by condescension. Perhaps you could exercise your superior intellect and check the links that have been posted to the FAQs? While you're over there, be a dear and explain what on earth they mean? I've got a good heart, but I'm lacking in knowledge

[edit on 7-2-2010 by Kandinsky]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by factbeforefiction

I've got a good heart, but I'm lacking in knowledge

Thank you. This is the kind of person I like. This is a very rare type of person who is actually able to say they do not 'understand' and in my book that makes them somebody who has the best shot at being the person who gets it. Because she is willing to let ego step aside and say, "I don't understand, please help me."

I wish I knew your name, you are a rare pearl in a sea of confusion. Thank you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join