It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is life taken for granted?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I'm just curious on this honestly.

The most important thing, I would assume, in the universe is life.

Apparently us few got lucky eh'!

Still it leaves me wondering why so many take it as something of the minimal importance.

Of course a bit peeved at the religious community for spurring a bit of it on, but they also abate it, I believe it's more of just a person to person issue.

I 'sadly' know of so many, so far too many people who don't have any dreams, hopes or ambitions in life but simply search for a way to sustain themselves till the day they day.

These people have no hopes, no dreams, nothing at all, but the part that bothers me the most is that they have a huge sense of being extremely important in the world! (Mind you they don't have the slightest clue of the butterfly effect).

Just on a daily basis you think you see good acts and it turns 180 on you in a heart beat, I may just be slightly naive I suppose, but it gets ridiculous, I go to give blood, I only go just because I feel good for doing a good thing, that's as far as my selfishness goes there, first time I went to give blood on those big bus things (lol) I walk in with another woman who walks in and announces "If you don't have any of those free tshirts for doing this tell me right now so I don't have to waste my ****in time here again!!!" .......What the hell? It was like the whole point of a 'donation' had turned into something askew.

I digress really, it's just the point that my ex ( extremely happy I can put 'ex' now
) always claimed how much she loved to help animals, and blah blah blah, but through so long, and through my progressive efforts she never once ever helped an animal......... In the least don't say you love to help animals if you never do, like me saying I love skydiving, i've never gone skydiving.

Most of all though, I see people like Neil deGrasse Tyson and many others, that come from strange and unlikely backgrounds that have ambition and drive to 'make a difference' in this world?

What is it that separates the two people, the ones who do, and the ones who refuse to do?

Again, what happened to the principle "when you enter a place leave it a better place then when you got there". My favorite saying of course.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I would say alot of that is because of flouride.
It is known to calcify our Pineal gland. it also acts as an anti-depressant..
(They even put it in mineral water now gahh)

But most of it is due to our EGO culture.
Pop stars dancing half naked all over the place, telling us that if you want some of that, you need to be a douch bag with 500k car.
So yes, people tend to think this is all there is to life... get your cool car > then you can get the girl > then you can work the rest of your life > then you retire to go die up in the mountains or something.
Well.... I never bought all that.

I never spent more then 15 bucks for an article of clothing, and I dont even have a drivers licence. Keep things simple, be humble, and life -WILL- be meaningfull to you.

When I was in India, I spent two months of my trip on the same beach, with -NOTHING-, I mean NOTHING. same clothes, lil ol' shack, and my food.
My friends were cows who were walking on the beach (lol) and the dogs of the area.
AND THAT WAS THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE! I never felt happier, or experianced such freedom

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by freebourn

I get what you're saying but these people, they don't even go after that get rich lifestyle, it's almost as if they expect to be handed their perfect life without even having to work for it, to point it in better terms, their expecting to win the lottery without even having to do the minimum of buying a ticket.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

we all know life is what ya make it. i have had always had a theory... say if i walk into a a room and smile at one person, just one and that person had to smile at another person...(but not me) and so on.. i think that in it self would make this a better world..

i agree with the above post aswell.. the media has alot to do with creating a selfish world... it just up to the people to flood it with selfless acts and try to make a difference

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Thats just being plain naaive.
Some of my friends are in this lottory cult thing lol.
I allways laught at them and tell them they are doing as they are told, and that they are good kids, and then I give them a little pat on the head... They get really pissed when I do that lol.

You can get what ever you want in life, you just gotta know what to ask.
Love is allways an important thing to ask for, but people instead ask for money.

What a shame

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
People take life for granted because of 1 simple reason...they dont care!

Its not that they dont care about themselves, its becasue they dont care about the positives in life...as soon as you care about the good things in life that are not man made, you develop an understanding for things that only helps highlight the negatives created by humans.

The beast road to take is always the hardest road to take because you wont appreciate the good at the end of all the bad

[edit on 5-2-2010 by jrmcleod]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

I have never taken life for granted simply because I can't afford to since I live the ghetto life and am hardly materialistic however I have realized during my time in poverty that people that have the stuff they do never seem to learn or think of how they have their worldly belongings because they have rich parents and/or were given possesions from the very beginning.

Edit: $tar from me.

[edit on 5-2-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.
- Richard Dawkins

It is sad that it takes the death of someone we love to make us appreciate the true value of life. It's even sadder that by then, it's usually too late.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
3 years ago I was given 6 months to live, coming face to face with your own mortality really helps you put things in perspective. You think you have to pack in so much stuff, people offer you things and experiences you wouldn't normally get. It seemed to be about packing in as many life experiences as I could handle. Then move on 3 years and my life has returned to a pretty mundane everyday existance. Trying to plan a future go back to college, who know's?

Life is what you make it, but you have to imagine a positive future and have some goals. I was living life with no future, no plans, because I thought I wouldnt still be here. Now I am here I have to plan a future, even if i dont get to make it to the final goal

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
dbl post sorry

[edit on 5-2-2010 by woodwardjnr]

top topics

join