It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Symbol on the Iranian Flag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
For those that study symbols, what does the symbol on the Iranian flag mean?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ca57b913572.gif[/atsimg]

Here is what I see:

2 inner "swooshes" crossing at the bottom in an "X marks the spot" manner. A missile coming down on the "X". With the outer "( )" representing shock wave from missile.

What does everyone else see in the symbol?

MODS: Not sure where to put this, so if this is in the wrong place, then please move accordingly.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
What, it's OBVIOUSLY an onion. The Iranians are known worldwide for their unhealthy love of onions.

I mean, what could be more obvious?

[/sarcasm]

I'm looking forward to hearing a legitimate description of the symbol. Good thread, good question.

Cuhail

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
According to Wiki:

The emblem in the center of the flag is a highly stylized composite of various elements representing different facets of Islamic life: Allah, the Book, the Sword, the five principles of Islam, balance, unity, neutrality, and the universal government of the downtrodden.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This is what i did dig up

In the middle of the Iranian flag, is a centre piece which has been arranged to symbolise the Arabic script for ‘Allah’. The script is formed of four crescents (the crescent is a central Islamic symbol) and a sword. Above the sword is the Arabic ‘shaddah’ symbol which is placed above particular letters in the Arabic script to strengthen the respective sound. In the case of the Iranian flag, the shaddah ‘strengthens’ the sword. The representation of ‘Allah’ in the Arabic script is also formed in such a way that it symbolises a tulip. The use of the tulip in Iran dates back to ancient time, whereby it has been used to represent the death of individuals who have died for their country. It has been placed in the Iranian flag to honour the Iranians who died fighting in the Iraq-Iran war.

Link

HM

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail
What, it's OBVIOUSLY an onion. The Iranians are known worldwide for their unhealthy love of onions.

I mean, what could be more obvious?

[/sarcasm]

I'm looking forward to hearing a legitimate description of the symbol. Good thread, good question.

Cuhail

Thank you! I checked the search function and was surprised to see that no one has mentioned it before (unless I missed it). It seems pretty obvious to me....my interpretation anyway.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Info on the stylized writing across the 2 stripes:

A further change to the flag following the Revolution has been the addition of writing on the borders between the white, and the green and red bands reading, Allahu Akbar ("God is great") in a stylized version of the Kufic script used for the Qur'an. There are 22 (2×11) copies of this inscription, symbolic of the 22nd day of the 11th month (Bahman) in the Persian calendar—the date of the Islamic revolution (22 Bahman 1357 = February 11, 1979) over the Pahlavi dynasty. The addition of this writing renders the flag non-reversible.

Also from Wiki.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
you'll find the sikh flag has a strong resemblance of the Iranian flag

Images

The Khanda constitutes three symbols in one. However, the name is derived from the central symbol, Khanda, a special type of double-edged sword which confirms the Sikhs' belief in One God. * The double-edged sword is the creative power of God which controls the destiny of the whole creation. It is sovereign power over life and death. * The right edge of the double-edged sword symbolizes freedom and authority governed by moral and spiritual values. * The left edge of the double-edged sword symbolizes divine justice which chastises and punishes the wicked oppressors. * On the left side is the sword of spiritual sovereignty, Piri; on the right side is the sword of political sovereignty, Miri. There must always be a balance between the two and this balance is emphasized by a inside circle. The circle is what is called the Chakra. This is a symbol of all-embracing divine manifestation including everything and wanting nothing, without beginning or end, neither first or last, timeless, and absolute. It is the symbol of oneness, unity, justice, humanity and morality. The Chakra was also used by the Sikhs as one of the war weapons against injustice and oppression. Almost all Sikh warriors used to wear it in the eighteenth century.

Source

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by booda

In that one, the "missile" (my interpretation) is pointing upward....point of origin perhaps?

EDIT: to add the Sikh flag

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7a71bcd3aa8a.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

What, it's OBVIOUSLY an onion. The Iranians are known worldwide for their unhealthy love of onions. I mean, what could be more obvious?

Agreed

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce6861c93d06.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hithe Merinos

LOL, that does look like an onion...or garlic...maybe a shallot

top topics

join