It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disclosure? Maybe not so good for us.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
After spending sometime reading through the ATS posts on disclosure, they do seem to all support a fairy consistent point of view: the government cover-up of alien contact and/or advanced technology is wrong and we need to have disclosure. Lets call this the bad government hypothesis, you know, just so we have something to refer to it by.

But we are supposed to deny ignorance on ATS, and quite frankly endorsing the bad government hypothesis without thinking through possible alternative seems to me to be sort of.. well ignorant. So what would a contrary “good government” hypothesis look like.

For the rest of this post, I shall lay out an alternative hypothesis that suggests that disclosure would be catastrophic, that we desperately need a government cover-up, and the government has acted correctly and responsibly in engaging in a cover-up and disinformation rather than entertaining disclosure.

I should be very clear that I'm not claiming any of this is true, or that there actually exists any evidence to suggest that this is really the way things are – this is more of a thought exercise, an attempt to partly answer the question “Have we thought this disclosure thing all the way through?”

Assumption Number One – The Technology

We will start by assuming that the government is in possession of either science or technology that is being suppressed. This technology could be many things from an unlimited power source, to teleportation, to some kind of science that allows anti-gravity or warping space-time. Where this technology comes from is unimportant . It might be extra-terrestrial and acquired via a Roswell type incident or through negotiated trade with extra-terrestrials. It might also be a human development from the alternative science of the Nazis, or reproducing the science of some ancient human civilization. Or perhaps it's just one of those breakthroughs made by a hard working (and very surprised) scientist working late at night and who just happens to notice something that makes him go “hmmmm that's odd.”

Assumption Number Two – The Cover-up

At least one government and maybe more acting individually or in cooperation, have classified this technology to the highest levels of secrecy. All reference to it are expunged. Anyone who digs too deep is “disappeared” and anyone who looks like they may be replicating the technology is recruited and taken black. The technology continues to be developed in secret. To hide it, the governments build disinformation campaigns with staged abductions or sightings of black triangles to hide legitimate incidents of possible disclosure among a pile of wide-eyes hysterical reports of anal probes, mutilated cattle, underground bases and other fantastic concoctions. People die and governments are overthrown so that the secret can be kept.

Assumption Number Three – The Threat

Why the cover-up? Suppose that this technology is simple. Radically different from anything else but still simple. Or suppose that it points to an elegant reformulation of science that makes this technology engineer-able by just about anyone. What could be wrong with that? Everyone with their own zero-point energy device in their basement that they can make out our stuff you can buy at WalMart? But what if, with just a bit of tinkering, that same device can be modified to produce a 50 megaton explosion, or rip a hole in spacetime, or generate an energy pulse that will kill every living thing for 25 miles. And you can make it out of things that you buy at WalMart.

What if Al-qaeda got their hands on this technology? What if a paranoid but brilliant engineer who heard voices telling him to cleanse the earth got their hands on it? What if by allowing the slightest hint of the existence of this technology to be known, you were almost guaranteeing mass death and destruction.

Assumption Number Four – The Response

The only safe thing to do is to hide it. The Americans, the Russians, the French and the Chinese and whoever else. They all know that this is several levels above MAD because every government is doomed if even one lets slip the secret.

And in the meantime, you devote resources to the technology. You look for a way to control it, to make it safe or to defend against it and neutralize the threat. You don't dare incorporate it into your normal “defense” technology since you can't afford to risk it. Instead you keep developing standard weapons to divert attention away from speculation about black technologies. And you keep the cover-up going.

Just trying to think about this from a different angle folks. Again, for those of you who might have missed it, I'm not claiming this is the case, nor do I “believe” in it. It is important for us to always keep an open mind and be prepared to entertain all possibilities, not just the ones that we personally find appealing.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by metamagic]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Yer I would rather be lied too!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
good angle of thought.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Interesting idea.

I get the feeling that the tool the PTB are afraid of is just the propulsion technology, not that some new simple bomb can be made from it or other black technologies.

What if faster than light travel is possible via commonly available materials you could buy at Walmart or on the internet?

Making the technology and physics behind the technology public would eliminate the technological advantage the U.S. government has in the propulsion systems of its weapons. Our technological superiority is largely responsible for our military superiority.

I think this is the major reason why the U.S. government is unwilling to make the technology public, that our government is unwilling to share power with others and allow them to become equals.

There was an episode of Star Trek TNG in the first season called "The Last Outpost", in it Riker makes a statement that fear is the true enemy, the only enemy.

There was a guardian of that last outpost, the conversation between him and Riker went as follows:

Guardian: What of them (Ferengi)? Shall I destroy them?
Riker: Then they would learn nothing.
Guardian: A most interesting conclusion.
Guardian: But what if they never learn, Riker?
Riker: I see them much as we were several hundred years ago, but possessing the technology they now have, they're very dangerous. But we can hardly hate what we once were. They may grow and learn.
Guardian: And learn ways to destroy you.
Riker: Our values require us to face that possibility.

The U.S. government possess the most advanced technology in the world, making it very dangerous. It does use that technology to wage war around the world, it is one of the most violent nation's on the planet. The U.S. government figures everyone else would be just as violent if they had the same technology. That belief isn't completely unfounded but we are the pot calling the kettle black.

Some preacher (a U.S. citizen) in Yemen calling for Muslims to fight back against the oppression of Muslims by the U.S. is not a threat to us. And yet he is on an assassination list and our government has tried to kill him.

Our government fears others getting advanced technology like faster than light propulsion and using it irresponsibly because our government has advanced technology and uses it irresponsibly.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by metamagic

This is definitely not a popular answer, nobody wants to hear it but.

Full disclosure will never happen.

PERIOD PERIOD PERIOD,

END OF STORY PERIOD.

Best Wishes!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ET_MAN

I beg to differ!

If aliens make contact and start to live among us, there would be no need to cover anything up.

Yes they might hide a few things, but to be honest who cares when you can chill with an alien?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Metamagic that's a lot of ifs and assumptions, but even if none of it's rue yet, maybe someday it could be and it's an interesting thought experiment so I gave it a star.

I think it will be a few hundred years before we might have the problem you describe, but I wouldn't rule it out. Personally I'm not losing any sleep worrying about whether it might be a possibility today, because I don't think it is.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf 

If aliens make contact and start to live among us, there would be no need to cover anything up.

Yes they might hide a few things, but to be honest who cares when you can chill with an alien?

They do, she is called my x-wife. and yes I do try to cover it up ;-)

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Great thread and OP and I think that there could be much to what you say and especially assumption number three. Sometimes I occasionally think that the zero point energy technologies that could come from open disclosure could be akin to opening Pandora’s Box and like you say – tinkering could be the candy store of the terrorist and for this reason the government keeps things hidden.

Perhaps it is this reason that keeps extraterrestrials from openly dropping in for a cup of tea.

There is also another more worrying aspect that I have been pondering lately though and only since I really started posting here.

What if the governments have knowledge of a threat that involves millions of disappearances and they have incontrovertible evidence or knowledge that these disappearances are caused by extraterrestrials and are negative to the extent that we are being systematically harvested by a dark intelligence that talks of peace but deceives and buys for time?

Could the governments having been drawn into the deceit now realise the truth and damage control keeps a veil of secrecy over everything in regards to the extraterrestrial phenomenon because we are treated like cattle or livestock and could the human mutilations phenomenon be a clue as to how we are truly perceived out in the wider cosmic community?

Ye gads I hope not!

There are no consistent missing person’s databases I am aware of but what if there is a specific reason for this and that this specific is that we are being harvested like meat bags, containers, resources to be used and at such a rate and in such numbers that a consistent database would blow this fact out into the public awareness.
Such a reality would cause a great panic across the world- hardly a surprise such a database would not exist or be in the public domain at least.

Are circumstantial accounts of governments showing a certain disregard and even open hostility toward the visitors pertinent because they are just war mongers labouring under a shroud of ignorance or are our governments shooting at these crafts because the visitors motivations are as dark as the darkest of nightmares and thus there is a secret cold war that occasional heats up from time to time?

Real life dark skies so to speak and the real war is not public knowledge because damage limitation also has to contend with a possibility that we are fighting a secret war we have no chance of winning?

Just wild speculation of course and I do not know what to think about it in terms of reality but one theory works just as well as the other when there is no evidence to even prove they are here and all we have to work from are personal accounts – which are open to subjectivity.

Stared and flagged - an interesting thread

[edit on 5-2-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Hi Wolf,

Originally posted by Wolf 
reply to post by ET_MAN

They already do.

Best Wishes!

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I totally agree with you, but disclosure or not, we as humans are a threat to ourselves as well as anything else on the outside. Slowly, we become the dreaded virus, soon, we then become the virus of the universe. Of course, we try to change, but humanities path is taking a 170º down hill. Surely, we pull together, but its not enough to turn over a new leaf. However, our threat extends not only to ourselves or other civilizations, but to this planet, which there are few, comparing to millions and billions of planets. We will never see the light of a type 1 human civilization.

If they are here, they have the human race as a threat from the top and bottom of their list. We should embrace the moment if they are to wipe us out, to start a-new. We have been givin too many warnings, yet we ignore the signs.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
you've made a very good point by posting this thread. It's always important to look at issues from every possible angle.

And you could be right; what if the government just came out and stopped covering things up? what if they made an announcement, right now, that we aren't alone, and that they're working with aliens and so on?

something tells me that (although many of us will take this well and actually appreciate the fact that our beliefs have been confirmed) the majority of the public either won't know how to react, or will overreact.

think about the people who tend to fear things like this, and would rather brush "theories" about aliens off as "hoaxes," or think that they're crazy ideas thought up by lunatics, than face the truth and have to adapt to how it would affect them. I really hope i'm wrong in assuming this but the thought has occurred to me that if this happened there might be a case of mass hysteria. not everyone is ready for such information.

but, as for myself, i would love for the government to just tell us the truth for once. and just for the affirmation that we're not alone in this infinite universe. thanks for bringing this up, very very interesting topic.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

disclosure would be catastrophic, that we desperately need a government cover-up, and the government has acted correctly and responsibly in engaging in a cover-up and disinformation rather than entertaining disclosure.

I've actually long-shared this view as being correct for a number of decades, I just don't believe it is still a viable way to go.

My personal belief is that there are a number of likely reasons they are keeping the secret. (could be any/all/or a combo of these)

1) The tech is still not fully understood, and we've only been able to utilize a small amount of it.

2) Using the tech would mean encountering other beings far more advanced, when we are not prepared to meet them (i.e. like the natives greeting Columbus)....

3) Use of the tech would disrupt the global economies, based on existing tech

4) Social upheaval such as panic, religious response (not everyone in the world is as passive as the West...for some, this could ignite all kinds of religious fervor)....

5) Perhaps the aliens that have visited have a dark agenda?

6) Perhaps the governments' own collusion in the scheme is best left under wraps (at least from their perspective)...

7) Perhaps we aren't using it as part of an agreement with the aliens to keep us "contained" until we are deemed "worthy" of interacting with the other intelligent life out there...(or even being contained for OUR own good)....

and so on....

At SOME point, we'll have to decide not to keep clinging to a false sense of who we are, and what surrounds us... Whether it's frightened humans in a big universe full of intelligent life, or lonely creatures who are deluded into thinking others are visiting. One of the two is right...only time will tell which is correct.

top topics

join