It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh snap Why can't I find a job, aka; Consumption without Contribution.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by gYvMessanger
I know.
Sickening that people dont want to have to be complete wage slaves their entire lives. Who do these people think they are wanting to set their own lifestyles and work rates.
Everyone should work 6 days a week, 10 hours a day, to just make almost enough money to have only a slightly #ty life.

Not at all...sounds ideal...it only becomes a problem when they directly or indirectly put their hands in the pockets of their working fellows.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

I think its the dissilusionment with the quality of life they see stretching before them which causes people to enter this useless feeder state. Also the constant capitialist brainwashing of the consume society doesnt help. People dont need or even want half the things they feel compelled to own. Its a bad state all round.

But perhaps the current lethary is just a simpton (sp?!?) of a much larger problem with modern society.

Sob-sob-sob. Give us a break. Kick them out the door.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by pumpkinorange

Really you begrudge these people there $30 or $40 a week ?

I doubt thats even enough for them to buy real food and clothes.

Admitadlly they shouldnt be taking the money out of YOUR pockets, but that the system in place apparently. Though if it makes you feel better you can pretend that your taxes just go on roads and schools and the rich peoples taxes are what feed the poor.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Why should people have to work in a soul destroying worthless job?.Good luck to all thoese that choose not to.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
I'm running into 20 somethings and even 30 year olds and a few in their 40's still nursing the teet and setting their rules.

I agree that everyone should ideally be able to fend for themselves. I don't even like having to eat food from Wal Mart (or whatever supermarket) that invariably has toxins in it, I'd much rather be able to grow all my own food.

But I'm not making the connection with "setting their rules."

My attitude has always been, all rules were only made to be broken.

I am in agreement with what youre saying, what I'm trying to address is the refusal to do anything about self care and the level of energy put into the useless things the lazy things the do nothing things and all they while have nothing to offer but complaints against the world and its condition while living off the dole.
The rules that I imply are the rules that "because I will it or want it then so it will be" "I'm gonna be this or gonna do that and the actions that follow dont match the words, and the only effort thats applied is the attachment of the glue of excuses around the teet to insure they remain there.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

reply to post by pumpkinorange

Really you begrudge these people there $30 or $40 a week ?

I doubt thats even enough for them to buy real food and clothes.

Admitadlly they shouldnt be taking the money out of YOUR pockets, but that the system in place apparently. Though if it makes you feel better you can pretend that your taxes just go on roads and schools and the rich peoples taxes are what feed the poor.

$30 or $40 a week? Maybe on the low end as a supplemental during a hardship or transitional period have I seen the effort put into receiving that little amount and no doubt it was really needed and appreciated,
But how about $1,680 a month, with a car and food and the only effort needed is to remember to reapply, and thats still not what I'm talking about, to really break it down its the willing and accepted surrender of the right of self. The welcomed yet complained about exchange of entertainment laziness minimalist controlled existance, the embraced usurpment of autonomy traded for a believed non existent reality with as much solidity as smoke, its expectation without realization,
it's a whole lot of people you see standing in a very long line just waiting.............waiting.......
and you walk up and ask "hey whats going on?" and they turn and say
"what do you mean?"
"we're waiting for some one to give us a life, is it you? "
"hey by the way while we're waiting can you take care of us?"

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

True but will we see real reform in the system without it collapsing and having to be built again from the ground up ?
Hey I would have no problem with an overhaul of the system if it was respectful and honorable and addressed us as humans.

Governments could very easily get the unemployed to do useful work if they want their social check. Even if its as little as say 10 hours a week. But they dont because I dont even know why, too much effort to figure out what individual unemployed are capable of doing without causing too much hassle with having to chase them up to do it ??

((Basically because no one has the balls to demand it. If you can walk with a stick with a nail at the end and carry a sack I'll help whomever learn how to convert their handout into something earned ))

Do what you love, do it well and youll never have to work a day in your life.

BUT DO SOMETHING! Yes good advice I agree.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
gee, I don't know, I have two of my kids home now, and well, I hope the fact that they are still home isn't affecting an interviewers view of them if they apply for a job. gee, we are even doing a balancing act with the cars since his transmission got blown. by the way, both kids work a 40 hour week.

it just that those 40 hour weeks just don't pay enough to have a decent living standard. I suppose they'd make a better impression on you if they were to find a pretty working girl to shack up with and share expenses, then oh, I don't know maybe 9, 10, or 15 months down the line, hey they can find out just how screwed they really are when they find out just how expensive child care cost is??

come on man, get with the program here, your workers are competing against mexicans!! ya know, five to 10 families living in a four bedroom house! if your gonna have to live with a bunch of other adults, just to be able to afford a few good things in life, well, heck, you might as well have people you've known all your life, have trust in, and well, are willing to stick their necks out for ya if you get yourself in a jam!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I recently had my yearly review. It wasn't glowing.

Yes I come to work everyday. I do my duties, but I do no extras, I have no ambition, I NEVER work late, I refuse to do any weekends. I take a 1 hour lunch break everyday. My contract says 37.5 hours and by god I will do 37.5 hours. I have absolutley no desire to "move ahead".

I couldn't be happier!

I do have lots of time to spend with my loved ones and persue my hobbies. Granted I don't have that much money, I pay my bills, buy the basics, SAVE up for my vacations, but I don't have an Iphone, I don't go out every weekend, I don't own one piece of designer clothing.

I couldn't be happier!

There is a lie that corporations have successfully ingrained in our society that having more stuff makes you happier. We buy more of their stuff, and have to work harder and longer to afford it. Now they have have us justifying their miserliness and demands for more time and effort for same or less pay on the "economy". The vast majority of people fall right into line, working their asses off to get stuff and then being GRATEFUL to have a job.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
by the way, both kids work a 40 hour week.

Good for the kids, once again theyre DOING SOMETHING, so theyre not the example, and nationality has nothing to do with it.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold
My contract says 37.5 hours and by god I will do 37.5 hours. I have absolutley no desire to "move ahead".

I couldn't be happier!

Good for you, glad youre happy, but once again, youre not the example I'm stating, YOURE DOING SOMETHING.
Youre not standing there acting helpless waiting to be taken care of and complaining about the care you do get.

Stay happy and good luck.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Governments could very easily get the unemployed to do useful work if they want their social check. Even if its as little as say 10 hours a week. But they dont because I dont even know why, too much effort to figure out what individual unemployed are capable of doing without causing too much hassle with having to chase them up to do it ??

Do what you love, do it well and youll never have to work a day in your life.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by gYvMessanger]

one that is what is required now, to get a public assistance check (or well, maybe they've been tranformed into something else now), about 10 hours of work, and well, they will usually HELP find you a job. Of course, they the jobs they help you find are in non-profit human services areas, and are low paying. okay, so there's this single mom over here, and well, they want her to work the 10 hours. okay, she'll need transportation, so well, give her the bus fare, or if no buses are running through there, maybe get her a car and put on the road, heck we had one social program in ny probably hired through the welfare dept, who's main function was to run the poor around town, to doctor's, to work, ect. then well, our imaginary lady has a two year old, a four year old, and a six year old. well, someone will have to watch them!! the six year old will often be in school, but well, the hours might class with the job this lady finds, so she might need childcare, then there's the 2 and 4 year, the 4 year old, well, let's talk to her about headstart, maybe she can get the kid into that, or well, the two younger kids will have to be put into a day care center.....
and, the lady lucks out!! finds a job paying $7.77/hr for about 30 hours a week!!!

how much are we the taxpayers spending per hour for this lady to work??
how many groups, agencies were created? one for transportation, an afterschool program for school aged kids, headstart, daycare centers.

okay, now, I am married, have three kids, not entitled to any of these perks, and I am looking for a job!
1. gee, these little social service agencies used to hire lots of everyday folks, and pay decent money, now, well, much of their staff is coming straight from the welfare dept and are paying closer to minimum wage.
2. babysitting services are now better trained and meeting better standards, but they are now much more costly!
3. the market is flooded with people who really need a job, any job, don't care about the hours, not really concerned about the pay!

maybe I don't want my taxmoney being used against me in this fashion any more!!!

[edit on 4-2-2010 by dawnstar]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by KANDINSKI
Why should people have to work in a soul destroying worthless job?.Good luck to all thoese that choose not to.

Somewhere between reading what I wrote and the replies there's an assumption that this is about corporations or soul destroying jobs and that assumption has to be happening in the collective mind that I had no part of conditioning.
I do not condone soul sucking work or corporate robot participation, quite the opposite, and the message or idea I'm trying to get across is exactly that.
Do not wait, do not subscribe, Step Up, Do your own thing, Do Something,
other than make excuses and live in the safety of holding others responsible for failure or success.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

LOL...yes I know a few like this. But I would even take it further. You give credit to some here that you say are at least doing something. But what I hear is that they COULD have jobs...but they think they are beneath them.

I think this is a common trait of the upcoming generation (even part of my generation...i'm 30). They don't want to work to get to the good job...they just want to be given the good job. I have heard of college grads turning down jobs because they don't get their own office or that they aren't getting 5 weeks vacation or that they can't work from home 3 days a week. That is part of the problem...they may be out there looking...but they think they deserve too much to work at an entry level job.

I work out of my home...I only have to work 20 hours to make the amount of money I was making when I worked in the corporate world. But I had to put in my time first. I had to move halfway across the country because it was the only entry level job I could find out of college (graduated right after 9/11...crappy job market). I had to work 60 hour weeks and on weekends if I had a deadline to meet. I learned a unique skill set that I could of only learned from this company. After that I had to work as a consultant but still employed by the same company and see as they charged a certain amount for my work and I got about 1/4 of it. Then after wanting to go out on my own...I had to sit and do something else for 2 years until my non-compete agreement was expired. And NOW finally I am able to be on my own, work from home, make my own schedule, work less and STILL make more than I ever could working for someone else. And when a college grad comes up to me and says, "I want to do what you do...how do I start?", they get pissed off when I tell them the best route is to do your time in corporate first to learn a unique skill. Their reply is, no...they want to do what I do RIGHT NOW.

Sorry guys...you don't usually get the dream job without putting in the time or making some sacrafices.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join