It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A conspiracy theory we can test!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
This is going to be very short. The olympics are here this year (Im going!) and it has been ridiculous, the traffic is even worse and every business is preparing, some areas require passport and crazy ID to get in and there is security in a lot of places everywhere. We have been told it is ILLEGAL to have any memorabilia against the games and people with signs in their house/store/tshirts are being find and confiscated and I heard some protestors arrested but unsubstantiated.

Its looking like the road to a new world more every day, with high security risks comes less criteria to be arrested!

Anyways they have set up hundreds and hundreds of security cameras.

More than 1,000 security cameras set up for Vancouver Olympic Games
A vast network of cameras goes on line today to provide security for the Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver and Whistler.

More than nine hundred cameras have been installed by the R.C.M.P.-led Olympic Integrated Security Unit, mostly covering Olympic venues. Another one hundred cameras run by the City of Vancouver will be watching downtown streets.

The unprecedented deployment of electronic surveillance makes privacy watchdogs nervous and they have sought assurances from the authorities that the networks will be dismantled as soon as the Games are over.

Chantal Bernier, Canada's assistant privacy commissioner, says they have been promised the cameras will come down after the games.

And any recordings from the cameras can only be kept for a limited time unless they become evidence in a court case.

The system had a real-world test last week when an intoxicated man stumbled into the security perimeter surrounding a cruise ship being used to house visiting police during the Games.

Copyright The Canadian Press

Sympatico Olympic Site

I have seen a few cameras but have been taken down, people in Canada are very worried about freedoms and being like Britain with all the cameras. They have promised that they are to be taken down and are strictly for the Olympics. I think its almost possible really that the Olympics security could be an excuse for imposing new laws and who knows, maybe the reason to bring in the new airport security scanners?

At any rate everyone REMEMBER THIS after the games and if those cameras arent down we'll have a source proving they said so, and Ill personally take them down with a hammer of justice

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I definitely want to add on Sympatico Canada news there was a poll a couple days ago asking if people thought that the person who put a pie in the face of a representative was a terrorist, yes they used the term terrorist, and 14% of people voted yess!! How sick, but I think it says a lot about our society and capability of going to # quick when thats a significant number of peoples definition of terrorism!

I imagine things during the Olympics will have an even broader definition of what terrorism is I can see an event being used to push a Patriot Act-like Canadian legislation and I seriously hope it does not get to that, but Id be a fool to think it cant happen here as well.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

I hope they do take down the cameras or i will come from the lower part of US and protest with you.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
and who knows, maybe Canadian authorities will foul up and falsely charge an innocent man for terrorism too. just like Richard Jewel(sp?) in '96.

yeah if they dont take the cameras down afterward you guys should "help" them for sure

vive l'anarchie!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Haha if they dont, I invite everyone to my house for broken-promise smashy smashy and celebratory vodka after!

It would definitely be what gets me going to actually act against the government instead of just talk, it would really piss me off (and scare me!)

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I reckon that once the camera's are up they'll be staying up.
street-crime figures will probably be juggled to make it look like crime is down due to cctv, to get support for them staying up. can you really see them spending all that money to install all these camera's, then spend yet more money ripping them all down again soon after? just thought i'd share my suspicious thoughts. maybe they will take them down after, we'll have to wait and see.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Welll you dont know the Canadian government haha!!
We spent an ass-load of money on 'fast ferries' that only took like 5 minutes off a trip to Vancouver Island and they all ended up breaking down and sitting in a heap falling apart...

I believe the Olympic village as well is only up for the olympics. Believe me we spend a ton just to clean up for the world, everything looks brand new in my city just because of preparations.

What you said is exactly my thought, they would make statistics to prove crime is down due to the cameras (even though its ACTUALLY because we flew in police and security from all over) and then theyll magically be left up. Until I get through with them. I hate being lied to!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Nice. You're going to the olympics. Good luck, and be safe.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

governments are all liars anyway. i think it must be a qualification to get one of those jobs.
they'll invent something dramatic to make sure the cameras stay up. they probably got the story for it already planned.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Well, its not necessarily true but in general I agree. A better statement is politicians are not in power unless they profit those behind the scenes. They may be good people who do bad things because they are fed propaganda as well.

Ron Paul wont be voted in unless these people realise their game is up, the race still runs in the same direction even though it appears to have a different end. So this is why I think Ron Paul being voted would be a bad thing. Not because of him personally. But because it is a sign that something else is happening. This would mean they know the current system is not working and they believe a different approach will yield greater results.

reply to post by Phlynx

Thanks! I also get to watch practices in my city

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
this should make things a little more peaceful at the olympics

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Cool that you live near the place where the Winter Olympic Games is this year

Quite an experience I can Imagine, it must be fun to see the whole Olympic Circus coming to town.

Is it not possible to make some extra money during this event, selling some stuff or some kind of street-food to all the incoming people & tourists during these weeks?

BTW! I saw on the TV news here that you guys were very short of snow, and had to use helicopters and trucks to bring snow for the hills - will they make the slopes ready in time?

And let's then hope it doesn't rain during the games!

I'll be watching some of the games on TV - I especially like watching the Biathlon, Snowboarding, Bobsleigh and the slalom, giant slalom & Downhill.

The Norwegians will naturally crush all other competition in the Cross country skiing - as usual!
:

Bring a big sign with ATS written on it, and hold it up in front of the TV cameras and wave hello to us!

[edit on 5-2-2010 by Chevalerous]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Pajjikor

Thats extremely important, I didnt know that!

reply to post by Chevalerous

Yes it is possible to make extra money, very possible, some people with vans are offering rides to the skytrain for ridiculous prices like $40/person!! We have a van and can cook and have stuff we could sell, I just feel bad about exploiting peoples situation and capitalism in general

Over in Whistler the snows pretty good it'll be ready, dont worry.

Welll I get to see NORWAY play hockey vs Switzerland!!! Im so excited, Pål Grotnes is an amazing goalie but I still dont think we have a chance. I also get to watch them in practice IN MY CITY!!!

I didnt think of bringing a sign actually maybe I will! But if not you can recognise me Ill be wearing a bright red Norway T-shirt over black Under Armour and probably bring my flag. ATS sign though... hmm!

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

Yes it is possible to make extra money, very possible, some people with vans are offering rides to the skytrain for ridiculous prices like $40/person!! We have a van and can cook and have stuff we could sell, I just feel bad about exploiting peoples situation and capitalism in general

He-he! I know what you mean and I usually agree with this philosophy, but I'm not talking about screwing the "poor" here!

Many of the "Wealthier" foreign visitors to the Olympic Games can afford it!
- I visited the games in Lillehammer 1994 when I helped two of my Norwegian cousins a couple of days selling Hot Dogs, Subway Sandwiches & and Hot-chocolate/Coffee & sodas to visitors - and even if the prices were quite high, people were buying stuff.

They also sold T-shirts, Caps, Hats, Woollen Caps & Scarves & sun glasses and many flags of different countries.

That was great fun! we stayed nearby in a small cabin/hut belonging to other relatives of my cousins, so I got to see some of the action during those five days I was there, and my cousins made some good extra money during the 2 weeks.

I spent most of my time each night partying in the nightclub & After-Ski Pubs - drinks & beer are expensive as hell in Norway, as you know! so when I came back to Oslo I was almost broke!

Man! when I think about it, this was 16 years ago! the time really fly by fast!

Welll I get to see NORWAY play hockey vs Switzerland!!! Im so excited, Pål Grotnes is an amazing goalie but I still dont think we have a chance. I also get to watch them in practice IN MY CITY!!!

That's sounds great!
yeah, Switzerland are dangerous and quite good in hockey! but how could I forget to mention anything about the hockey - that's the best thing in the games, I'll be watching most of it too - of course!

[edit on 6-2-2010 by Chevalerous]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
That sounds awesome! Well I could always go buy souvenirs and try to re-sell them of course, and I do have some Whistler shirts and stuff never worn that I dont want... hmm! Maybe could make some home made lefse for the homesick hahahaha...

Mmm yeah alcohol in Norway
whereas next door in Finland (im told) its cheap as hell... here we think its ridiculously expensive (I work in the liquor industry) and our taxes are very high our provincial governments main source of income really, for example right next door in Alberta they have no taxes but thats because they have oil reserves!

Speaking of which maybe I could sell liquor LOL, loosen up the athletes er I mean spectators

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

so how were the olypics for you? Looked like it was a exiting. I only watch the snowboarding half pipe, and ski jumps. Then again I did see that wicked bobsled crash. Keep us updated on if they start taking down those camera's.

Peace,
Pajjikor

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
well, take some action...
*I am suing NIST for the Models in which they say prove WTC 7 committed suicide. we should be able to test the models after all
a model is something that can be proven or dis proven.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Pajjikor

Ill post some pics up sometime maybe... ya it was amazingly fun! I went a few different days.

They're not taking the cameras down til after ALL the olympics I should have mentioned, which includes paralympics.

As I understand though a lot of fencing and such is going down.

It kind of sucks, everything pales in comparison, and I dont get, why have the paralympics after, Id do it first to kind of get in the mood and have a huge finish (no sex puns) but this way its like anticlimactic...

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

I actually wasn't aware of the paralympics, we have one once a year in the town that I grew up in, i guess that it is just a smaller scale. The community is encouraged to participate, students get to skip school just to help.

Forget the sex puns, everyone is always down for a huge finish, no matter the occasion.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
so its been awhile since I asked, Have they started taking down the cameras yet?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join