It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Adhesive Device Could Let Humans Walk on Walls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
New Adhesive Device Could Let Humans Walk on Walls

ScienceDaily (Feb. 2, 2010) — Could humans one day walk on walls, like Spider-Man? A palm-sized device invented at Cornell that uses water surface tension as an adhesive bond just might make it possible.

I read a 5+ awesome science news articles a day, but have never felt the need (want) to post one as much as this one.

I cannot think of one legit use for someone like myself to own anything like this but that would not stop me from selling my home and car to gain the ability to walk up walls.

For example, one of the researchers' prototypes was made with about 1,000 300-micron-sized holes, and it can hold about 30 grams -- more than 70 paper clips. They found that as they scaled down the holes and packed more of them onto the device, the adhesion got stronger. They estimate, then, that a one-square-inch device with millions of 1-micron-sized holes could hold more than 15 pounds.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
yes i would sell everything....

the thoughts are to amazing for words.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
sorry to bash the idea but humans aren't strong or agile enough at all to do anything like that, even if the technology that allowed us to stick to the walls were perfect.

first of all imagine walking on anything starting on your back. ok, so you can't climb walls like that cause of gravity and the shape of our bodies and their center of gravity and you probably just broke your ankles attempting that.
then ask yourself how many pull ups you can do? a wall is nothing like a ladder, no footholds or hand grips. you need the strength of an orangutan to climb a wall with this stuff.
also what if you touch that stuff to your face or junk?

just get really good at running and jumping and alligator wrestling. leave the walls alone!

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
You would be right if you are talking about literally walking up walls.
I give you exhibit: A

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d1d71dcea503.jpg[/atsimg]

Spider Man !!!

a wall is nothing like a ladder, no footholds or hand grips

errr ... that is what this devise would do
give you 4 hand/feet grips that travel up with you .

[edit on 2-2-2010 by nophun]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Mythbusters did something like this in an episode about spies and the suction cups wall climb.

As I recall Adam got only 1/3 or maybe half way up and found himself unable to go up or down because he was exhausted from the climb. This was with a 4 suction cup set up as well. The truth is he discovered it takes an incredible amount of upper body strength to continue. Not to mention lower body strength as well.

Sure some people can climb rock walls and even mountain faces, but most people will tire out before they get far. The people that climb rock walls do it often and stay in better shape than the average Joe.

By the way the poster that mentioned sticking it to you junk…. You nearly caused me to wet myself. That was hilarious. Talk about problems, I can see the conversations now.

Walk in to doctors office/ ER “Yes sir how can I help you”

Person with thing on their junk “Well you see I was going to climb my walls but figured I would go to the bathroom first”

Doctor “yep that is really on there” “Looks like we are going to have to operate to get that off”

Person “Oh bummer”

Persons significant other “Idiot now look what you did” “So much for fun time”

Raist

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I do not see now this could be much harder then rock climbing (strength wise).

In the Myth Busters episode how big where these suction cups ? How much extra weight did Adam have on him ?

I would guess not much, The pneumatic system would be on the ground with just a hose going up ?

Anyways Adam is older and fatter then me, so my dream continues

[edit on 2-2-2010 by nophun]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

I don’t think he had any additional weight on him. It was about sneaking in and all.

I would think it would be like rock climbing. But like I said how many people can effectively rock climb say a 30 story building?

Keep you dream alive though, just keep it off your junk

Raist

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

It would be easier then rock climbing, more like climbing a latter. IMO

You guys and your negativity have got me questioning myself if I could do this.

Be back latter I am going to the gym.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This would be great for fixing equipment in space I believe, although I see no real valuable use besides in space.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Window washers have obvious use for this

+1 for science

Oh and it is partly funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, so like everything cool we are going to find a way to kill with it.

Wall Climbing ninjas IMO.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

No way more like rock climbing in my opinion.

Climbing a ladder would be easier.

Remember your dream. Someday you can climb walls too.

Raist

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I think the gecko dry adhesive would work better as they have already proven you can actually climb a wall using only it.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Closer to ladder imo.
Rock climbing you have huge gaps to reach too and pull yourself up to.
A wall you have no obstacles to deal with like rock climbing has . .. errr rocks in the road.

I have tried climbing a rock wall (man made in West Edmonton Mall) and the only times I ran into problems with strength is when you are reaching around or over a good distance, then pulling yourself up.

Obviously not as easy as climbing a ladder, but easier then rock climbing.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

Hmm still looking at the Spiderman image I would say it would take a deal of strength. You might not have to reach around objects but it would certainly wear you down over time. Even climbing a ladder is a short distance. I still think it would be more difficult than a ladder due to this. Also with a ladder generally they are not straight up and down you are at a slight angle helping with the weight/strength issue. With this you will still have more weight on your upper body.

Maybe you could do this but I would like to see some people do a 30 story building. I would bet most would be nearly shot before reaching the roof.

Raist

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I am trying to figure out how out of everything within this article we have decided to debate ladder or rock climbing.

You bring up a good point about angle of the ladder, so I am going to say some where between difficulty of ladder/rock wall.

What uses you think the NSF and DARPA see in this minus the cool factor?

hippomchippo bring up the space uses that make sense.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

Well certainly those that are in better shape could use this to scale the sides of buildings. I would say that was a logical use, but I am thinking you would need to be in pretty good shape.

I could see it being used as a safety device if nothing else for those doing work in high areas. While maybe not using it to climb to the height they could certainly use it as a tie off or attachment point. It could be used as a means to tow things since one would no longer need a tie off point under the vehicle you could just hook to the front of the bumper. I could see numerous uses for this mostly used in everyday type of life.

Sorry I am a bit simple minded when it comes to that sort of thing. I think about what I would use if for, for the most part.

If made permanent in some way or semi permanent it could be used to hold things to walls instead of nails or screws as well.

Raist

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nophun
I cannot think of one legit use for someone like myself to own anything like this

Rock climbing enthusiasts.

Construction workers.

Just a couple off the top of my head.

Edit: Raist already mentioned these. I didn't think about space. Reminds me of Star Trek: The First Contact when they are outside the ship. Could actually be very useful in this scenario.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Nutter]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
No way more like rock climbing in my opinion.

Climbing a ladder would be easier.

I would say climbing 30 stories of either would be quite hard.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

With a ladder though (granted we don’t have any 30 story ladders) the climb is easier due to the angle. The angle would put less stress on your legs and arms so it would require less strength.

Mostly though my point with the 30 stories thing is the angle and the amount of strength it would require to climb a straight up and down surface compared to at an angle. Regardless of the height it would be easier at an angle than a straight vertical wall.

Besides when it comes to 30 stories I will take the stairs or elevator. Not only that but I am not a fan of heights, I think the sudden stop at the end should I fall scares me.

Raist

new topics

top topics

join