It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist? probably not.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I completely agree with you on that. I used to be athiest and that's how I felt. They would push the subject and they seemed to have no idea of what it really meant, the true matter of it. I believe in God though now, I'm not a Christian, nor do I belong to any religion. The idea of God upon many world religions never seems to be what the beginners of that religion felt it as. They seemed more intelligent and beyond matter and mind with it. It's amazing.

But they idea of God looking like a man is just a contemplation without any real knowledge of the forces beyond our mind. Giving it a gender.. just banal attempts to grasp without holy philosopical thinking. I have not completely figured God out, but I know it's defintely there waiting to be completely understood again.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Not all atheists lack the social skills to pursue a conversation despite the topic of the moment being uninteresting to them. Like people of other faiths, many, probably most, atheists realize that chat-topic is like the weather in New England... wait a few minutes, and it will change. If not, then a body can always excuse oneself. No crisis, no matyrdom posturing, just smile, say "Oh, look at the time, gotta run" and walk away.

A fifth grader can manage it. Then again, many fifth graders have the savvy to keep their religious opinions to themselves, unless asked - not something to hold one's breath while waiting for.

But, of course, atheism is not a religious opinion. Unlike Christianity and Islam (to name two), atheism is the correct religious viewpoint. No wonder, then, that just like some Christians and Muslims, some atheists have trouble keeping the Good News to themselves.

In general, we are all on notice that discussing religion or politics in polite company is tricky. Feathers will likely be ruffled. There is also a certain pointlessness to such discussions, nobody persuades ever anybody else, and everybody thinks highly of their own view.

I do confess a guilty pleasure, though. Some atheist rants can be a laugh riot. I especially love the little lecture on "critical thinking skills" coming from somebody for whom distinguishing Jesus Christ from Mickey Mouse is a major intellectual challenge.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arizonee
FOR THE ATHEISTS:

A few days ago I was discussing religion with some friends. One of my friends was visibly upset and he said "I'm an atheist. I don't believe in any of that. Lets change the subject". Everybody agreed but I had to push the issue. I asked if he was offended by our discussing religion in front of him. He said he was, and I said "then you aren't an atheist!". I then explained why. (this bothers me about a lot of so-called atheists)

Me: "do you believe in God?"

Him: "no'

Me: "do you believe in Mickey Mouse? Do you think he's real?"

Him: "no"

Me: "do you get offended when people talk about Mickey Mouse?"

Me: "then why do you get offended at people for talking about God? if you were a
true atheist than God would be no more real to you than Mickey Mouse."

Him: "that's different"

Me: "how?"

Him: "i don't know"

Me: "do you believe in Superman and Wolverine?"

Me: "but you like talking about comics..."

Him: "whatever dude"

I can't understand why somebody would be offended in something that didn't exist, yet this seems to be my experience with the so-called atheists I have run into. They vehemently deny the possibility of God and their feathers are ruffled at the mere mention of the 'g-word'. If anything I would think they would have pity on those who practice religion. How silly and delusional we must be to them! The only thing I can think of is that yes, they acknowledge God, but for whatever personal reason they choose to shun rather than embrace. But that's just my guess. Any thoughts on this?

Hahaha. Acknowledge 'God' but don't want to embrace him? Sure.

To put it simply, the reason is because 'Mickey Mouse' isn't being used as a false explanation for the creation of everything, the great man in the sky that rules everything.

Totally different comparisons.

A better one would have been Zeus or another 'God'.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Reply to post by Lister87

Were you there when it all started? Was any of us?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I'll gather you are insinuating that because I personally wasn't there that God DID create the Universe?

Wait, were you? The outcome of your question does nothing for either side of the argument.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

m0r1arty...

I have to say that the entire story you posted is pretty cool. You have a good imagination.

I just figured I'd point out a little something...

Isn't it incredibly ironic how so many self-proclaimed atheists actually responded to the OP?

If you look real hard, you'll see the irony.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Both of them were incredibly ignorant about their faiths, but what do you expect from children?

Well to be honest I would expect that this pair would have gone to the trouble of finding out whether Santa is real, not unlike any other kid.

Clearly in this case the parents have continued with their belief/indoctrination that the jesus santa is very real but not only this but anyone that fails to comply with the jesus santa is off to hell.

This is appalling and what is more frighting than the prospect of having to endure a lunch break with one of these in a couple of years, is that it won't be long and their eligible to vote !!!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Lilitu

It is because of a failure to apply the same critical thinking skills to their religious beliefs which are required to live and work in the real world.

Nine out of ten times the rebuttal to that often goes like
"Ah but we don't live in the real world this is the world of the enemy (vague excuse here) the word ( some irrelevant bible verse here) ------the Lord ------- saved"
At which point you stab yourself in the eye with someone else s' finger.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

"Is Africa in like Asia... no wait... are you Asian African... but why are you so Dark?"

I've watched that video five time but couldn't see any wheels underneath the house or a goat in the bedroom, there wasn't even a banjo nor fiddle laying around.

I can only conclude that mom and dad are some sort of new age christians and are in fact brother and sister lol.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
If you look real hard, you'll see the irony.

Yup.

For every mute Atheist in an unknown social group there's 100's more on the internet willing to shout loud in the name of free thought.

I'd recommend anyone who wishes to hear a serious Atheist discuss religion, particularly Christianity, to check out Thunderf00t on YouTube (taster below)

-m0r

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Well apparantly God was. And 10,000,000,000,000 years later he decided to persude a few people on one of ten trillion planets to invade another country and write down a book containing all his rules. And then disappeared. Allegedly.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
Isn't it incredibly ironic how so many self-proclaimed atheists actually responded to the OP?

Not at all. Have you seen the title of the thread?
If you were on another board and saw the title: "ATS Member? Probably not" wouldn't you be likely to respond to it?

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

You gather wrong with your baseless assumption.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Reply to post by Essan

Or perhaps it is merely human BS that twisted something to suit what they were going to do anyway? Rather like how certain atheists who claim science disproves a certain possibility. Despite the fact the question just most likely is unfalsafiable.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thusly showing group identification and the defense of a arbitrary label.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Unless it’s a fantastic bit of satire...

I showed it to my wife and she couldn’t believe it... she thinks it must be staged... LOL

Reminds me of this...

Sad thing is... there will be people who think that all Americans are stupid... Whatever stereotype you pick in life (or even make up) you can always find evidence to back it up. Doesn’t make it right though...

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Thusly showing group identification and the defense of a arbitrary label.

I do not identify with other atheists. In fact, I find many of them "religious" in their position. From the OP:

Originally posted by Arizonee
FOR THE ATHEISTS:

... Any thoughts on this?

I DO self-identify as an atheist in its most basic definition: Holding no belief in a deity. So, I answered the thread that asked atheists (me) a direct question.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
reply to post by moocowman

Unless it’s a fantastic bit of satire...

I showed it to my wife and she couldn’t believe it... she thinks it must be staged... LOL

Reminds me of this...

Sad thing is... there will be people who think that all Americans are stupid... Whatever stereotype you pick in life (or even make up) you can always find evidence to back it up. Doesn’t make it right though...

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Muckster]

Dear god it must be embarrassing to be American sometimes, the ignorance and arrogance of some of these people is an insult to the human species.

They are actually agreeing in principle to going to war against countries that they can't even locate !! No doubt these are the type that vote for monosyllabic Austrian actors when it comes to foreign policy.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Reply to post by moocowman

Must be great to pass judgement like some do from their lofty ivory towers..... Thank you for the example.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

As untwisted reality does. The argument is pointless and silly. Neither side truly knows what happend. They are simply defending their baseless preconceptions.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join