It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin calls for Rahm Emanuel to be fired

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
rawstory.com...

The former Alaska governor who served as Sen. John McCain's (R-AZ) vice presidential running mate now thinks she knows better than the commander-in-chief on how to hire his own staff.

In a Facebook post Monday, Sarah Palin called for White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel to be fired.

I would ask the president to show decency in this process by eliminating one member of that inner circle, Mr. Rahm Emanuel, and not allow Rahm’s continued indecent tactics to cloud efforts. Yes, Rahm is known for his caustic, crude references about those with whom he disagrees, but his recent tirade against participants in a strategy session was such a strong slap in many American faces that our president is doing himself a disservice by seeming to condone Rahm’s recent sick and offensive tactic.

The Obama Administration’s Chief of Staff scolded participants, calling them, “F---ing retarded,” according to several participants, as reported in the Wall Street Journal.

Just as we’d be appalled if any public figure of Rahm’s stature ever used the “N-word” or other such inappropriate language, Rahm’s slur on all God’s children with cognitive and developmental disabilities – and the people who love them – is unacceptable, and it’s heartbreaking.

I think it's a stretch for exGov. Palin to take issue with use of the word "retarded" I hear it used here on ATS frequently to mean those that refuse to deny ignorance.

When I use it; it denotes stupidity; not a slur against the mentally challenged people.
I think that's the way Rahm meant it; But lets not miss any and all opportunities to trash the administration.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I think that maybe she takes more offense to it because she has a child who is mentally disabled. Yeah, I use the term all the time but if I had a child who was mentally disabled I might think twice about using the term in the way I do now. But that's just me ^_^.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
it is offensive to me, highly offensive actually. It denotes a sort of elitism in the mind of the speaker, and I have beaten the S&$T out of people for much less. It would not have taken much for you or any other healthy person to have been born with a disability. if people like that douche bag ever experienced people with disabilities they would immediately realize that they are being offensive.

to make light of people with disablites is the lowest thing a person can do in my book. To achieve some sort of excitement from belittling less fortunate should be a punishable offense.

If I called anyone an Effing R---d at any job Ive ever had I would have been fired on the spot, so Im with her on this one.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
[edit on 122828p://bTuesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
who cares, watch british parliament. they can say much harsher and biting things without cussing. and you want to fire someone cause they say somethin that isn't PC? **** this country. fire them because they are constitutional necrophiles.

and yeah, exactly, palin is offended cause she has a completely retarded granddaughter that she pretends is her own daughter except there is proof positive evidence it's her moron daughter's child and it eats her alive.

the saddest part is a bunch of softhead facebookers will get behind her because she's makes politics hip.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I think Palin's a F'in retard but I would have no problem with them getting rid of Rahm

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
[edit on 122828p://bTuesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

On the other hand, consider also that she has a son who is mentally disabled, plus, Rahm Emanuel is a senior government official, not just some poster on the internet. I would expect her to be angry about it. At the very least, its inappropriate behavior from someone of his standing; granted, considering his past antics, an immature comment of this type is hardly surprising.

Should he be fired? Not for this specific act, but there's a pattern of behavior associated with the guy that leads me to believe that he has no place as a senior official in this administration.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Rahm Emanuel already apologized but the list is growing for
the members of Team Obama that should resign.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Obama: "Judge me by the people around me."

Obama has a history of making fun of the special olympics, so this is not a surprise.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Palin passing judgement on anybody is funny.

Her family is due for a up coming Jerry Springer Show.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I take offense to that word and think that any moderately educated person would seperate themselves from any use of words like "retard" or "gay" in their slang connotation.

That being said, who really cares who Palin thinks should be fired. She's a sideshow.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
it is offensive to me, highly offensive actually. It denotes a sort of elitism in the mind of the speaker, and I have beaten the S&$T out of people for much less. It would not have taken much for you or any other healthy person to have been born with a disability. if people like that douche bag ever experienced people with disabilities they would immediately realize that they are being offensive.

to make light of people with disablites is the lowest thing a person can do in my book. To achieve some sort of excitement from belittling less fortunate should be a punishable offense.

If I called anyone an Effing R---d at any job Ive ever had I would have been fired on the spot, so Im with her on this one.

Oh my God.

People have a right to express things any way they feel.

There is something extremely wrong with anyone who allows WORDS to "upset" them.

Words like "retard" "faggot" (i think the sensors will mute this one, but it is a slang word most commonly accepted to mean homosexual, but also means bundle of sticks)

these words have evolved over time. They used to mean one thing, now they mean another.

Saying something is "retarded" doesn't mean its "like a young handicapped child"

saying someone is a "fag" doesn't mean the person really thinks they are a homosexual

And the only people i see getting offended by them aren't people i'd care not to associate myself with anyways.

If you have a child with mental retardation, then im sorry you have to live with that. But don't expect me to change my language to suit you, since my language in no way shape or form is directed or relative to you, your child, or your situation.

Its not elitist to say "retarded". Its sensationalist to claim that it is and its pathetic to believe it.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Time for Rahm to back pedal NOW. This statement was made back in August. No Harm Rahm, that is until you get called on your statement.

White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel apologized to the head of the Special Olympics today after the Wall Street Journal reported the fiery Chicagoan privately called a group of liberal activists "f---ing retarded."

Last August, Emanuel "showed up at a weekly strategy session featuring liberal groups and White House aides," the Journal's Peter Wallsten reported. "Some attendees said they were planning to air ads attacking conservative Democrats who were balking at Mr. Obama's health-care overhaul. 'F—ing retarded,' Mr. Emanuel scolded the group, according to several participants. He warned them not to alienate lawmakers whose votes would be needed on health care and other top legislative items."

A little more from Palin to put this into perspective for you dolts who still don't get it. Time to broaden your vocabulary. (Feel feel to use dolt, inane, ludicrous, ridiculous, idiotic, far fetched, bizarre, etc)

No excuses!! Excuses are for those who fail try harder.

Palin:

"A patriot in North Andover, Massachusetts, notified me of Rahm’s 'retarded” slam,'" Palin wrote. "I join this gentleman, who is the father of a beautiful child born with Down Syndrome, in asking why the Special Olympics, National Down Syndrome Society and other groups condemning Rahm’s degrading scolding have been completely ignored by the White House. No comment from his boss, the president?

"As my friend in North Andover says, 'This isn’t about politics; it’s about decency. I am not speaking as a political figure but as a parent and as an everyday American wanting my child to grow up in a country free from mindless prejudice and discrimination, free from gratuitous insults of people who are ostensibly smart enough to know better... Have you no sense of decency, sir?'"

blogs.abcnews.com...

[edit on 2-2-2010 by jibeho]

[edit on 2-2-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

People have a right to express things any way they feel.

saying someone is a "fag" doesn't mean the person really thinks they are a homosexual

[edit on 2-2-2010 by Snarf]

? ummmm, yeah you are calling that person gay, in a derogatory way.

dont cry to me because you only know about 20 words to use when angry at someone. just because you lexicon is limited it doesnt make it any more ok.

and it is the INTENT of the word. doesnt matter if you think about it or not,

when you say something is "retarded"; you are indicating it goes against your core belief system in a way that doesn't make sense.

if you call someone that, you are indicating that their idea makes no since. yeah, its likely you are not claiming that person is handicapped, just their idea, but what are we without our minds?

ALL IM SAYING is that it shows an indication of very low intellect because there are MILLIONS of words that could be used in its place, but keep talking like an idiot because I dont associate myself with bigots and people who have no comprehension of the words they use.

[edit on 2-2-2010 by drsmooth23]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23

ALL IM SAYING is that it shows an indication of very low intellect because there are MILLIONS of words that could be used in its place, but keep talking like an idiot because I dont associate myself with bigots and people who have no comprehension of the words they use.

when you say something is "retarted"; you are indicating it goes against your core belief system in a way that doesn't make since.

Coming from a person that dosen't know the difference between "sense" and "since".......your statement rings a little hollow.

And what does "retarted" mean..........

See the irony here?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by whaaa

On the other hand, consider also that she has a son who is mentally disabled, plus, Rahm Emanuel is a senior government official, not just some poster on the internet. I would expect her to be angry about it. At the very least, its inappropriate behavior from someone of his standing; granted, considering his past antics, an immature comment of this type is hardly surprising.

Should he be fired? Not for this specific act, but there's a pattern of behavior associated with the guy that leads me to believe that he has no place as a senior official in this administration.

I have to agree with everything you said and can't add anything. You're totally right.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

haha yeah, had to change those, but if anything it solidifies my point that words do infact carry weight.

If I call someone a name, Im not offended. that much is true, but the other person will be. Maybe your ok with that, but life is hard enough without going around being dicks to everyone. plus, you never know when you have ostracized a person who could help you down the road.

Originally posted by whaaa

When I use it; it denotes stupidity; not a slur against the mentally challenged people.

But that doesn't make since to me. To you, retarded means stupid, ok, whatever, its your personal dictionary in your head, so words can mean whatever you want them to, but once the words leave your mouth it is up to the listener to denote intent and decipher what you mean.

also, if everything you consider "retarded" is stupid, it suggests to me that you would think all retarded people are stupid. I know thats a stretch, and im sure you don't think that, but we wouldn't know without having this discussion.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Look, I'm so God damn tired of this "political correctness" BS, I could puke. Have you forgotten that their is such a thing as "freedom of speech"
That means freedom of self expression. Do you want to limit how I express myself. If my language offends you...that's your God damn problem. Man it up for Christ sake!!

Palin didn't give a **** about protecting the sensibilities of people with retarded kids. That was such a transparent dig at what she sees as her oppisition. That was politics pure and simple.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I think this is being blown out of proportion a bit.

Did anyone forget that Rahm Emanuel is a Democrat? This gives him a free pass to say anything he wants. It is not like he is a Republican or something.

Give him a break!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join