It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radical Atheist Group does not want Mother Teresa on stamp!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Just a little insight into this modern day "saint" ? May be this group knows the true colour of this persons media history?

Saint in the making

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I agree with their goals, just not their reasoning.

Mother Teresa may be saint material to the organization that thinks kiddy-diddler priests are okay, but the rest of us should be disgusted by the evil old bat.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
wow

ITS JUST STAMP ATHIESTS!

dam ... .i just dont like athiests, if you have no religion have no religion, but dont be a nob about it! .. lol, its only a stamp, not like its mandatory civilian clothing!

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
wow

ITS JUST STAMP ATHIESTS!

dam ... .i just dont like athiests, if you have no religion have no religion, but dont be a nob about it! .. lol, its only a stamp, not like its mandatory civilian clothing!

You don't like me no mo? Sad KJ

Agreed, it is only a stamp and the righteous indignation (tee hee) about it amounts to nothing but bluster in a tornado of thousands of other idiotic crusades this nation entertains.

Nevertheless, we agree that us atheists shouldn't be "nobs" about not having a religion, but can we also extend that to the religious as well?

Fair's fair after all. I'd say your housecleaning will be a tad longer than ours.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

Everyone else gets to be a "nob", why should Atheists have to abstain?

Maybe I don't want to see this phony tart on my mail, huh? Ever think of that?

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

she is hardly a tart! jajajahahaha

thats the most stretched use of the term tart i have ever heard!

i am a true man of no religion, athiets claim to be against religion yet they have a name like a religion, they worship their speakers as if they were priests , and they preach their beliefes as bad as the evalgelistic christians out their.

its the irony that they say they have no religion yet they worship athiesim like a religion and push it down peoples throats like a religion that makes them nobs imo.

(and not all athiests are like that, but most would trample their gran to have the oppertunity to say their athiests in a public place ... just like the previous reply)

the last reply is right, every one is allowed to be a nob if they want ... but that doesnt stop anyone calling them out over it.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by boaby_phet because the the over sensative swear guard seen a forgotton space in push it as a swear lol!]

[edit on 1-2-2010 by boaby_phet]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

she is hardly a tart! jajajahahaha

thats the most stretched use of the term tart i have ever heard!

"Stretched tart" is uncannily (and terrifyingly) applicable... Bwuh.

i am a true man of no religion, athiets claim to be against religion yet they have a name like a religion, they worship their speakers as if they were priests , and they preach their beliefes as bad as the evalgelistic christians out their.

False equivalence. Atheists preach atheism like how fire marshals preach fire prevention. The fire marshals don't want you to catch on fire, and atheists don't want you to catch the stupids.

its the irony that they say they have no religion yet they worship athiesim like a religion and pu# down peoples throats like a religion that makes them nobs imo.

Well, quite simply atheism is beneficial for society. People don't actually turn into werewolves without religion, as some in religion like to claim. In fact religious belief is often detrimental to the sciences and society as a whole (Ask those folks in India how well religion's working out for 'em)

(and not all athiests are like that, but most would trample their gran to have the oppertunity to say their athiests in a public place ... just like the previous reply)

So atheists that seek the same rights of expression taken for granted by the religious are "bad"... gotcha.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
This group’s suggestion is completely absurd and, to be honest, I feel it is nothing more than attention seeking. They have simply done something that they know will bring attention to their group.

I think that we should remember that they are certainly not representatives of all atheists and are just another example of why extremists, of any background, are idiots!

Sadly it is always the extreme minority that tarnishes the good name of the moderate majority.

I don't want creepy religious icons of any kind forced upon me by any aspect of the govt.. plus it's disturbing that children seeing that might think being a nun is some kind of heroic venture. If a kid comes to that conclusion on their own, weird but great, more power to em.. but the govt shouldn't be suggesting which invisible man one should jump around to.

But if it's allowed, to be fair to all.. the govt should include icons all religions; The devil, Dreadlocked Rastafarian ministers of ganja, War painted African witch doctor swinging a dead chicken over his head.. or an Aztec carving up virgin a-la 'Dexter'.

I personally see most religious people and their flock as silly but generally harmless and as long as they all stay out of my personal space with their opinions, I fully support whatever religious endeavor anyone partakes in.

Thankfully I am very ignorant to which sect believes what about who, devil worshipers, christians, born again amish.. whatever, the govt shouldn't enforce a preference making one more credible than another... people should figure that out on their own.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher73

I imagine very few atheists would agree that stamps featuring popular saints and the like would violate the church-state separation... though I admit my wording was probably better with the tired old "crazy" label.

As for being the one to "show the government who's boss" I don't think I will be either
In fact I really wouldn't want to be because I wouldn't want a "kick me" sign on my back. But, it darn well won't keep me from trying... government has forgetton that they are supposed to be servants of the people rather than bosses of the people. I'm not sure they've ever known that. Governments need people to show them their place these days.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I knew I waded into something I never should have.

And some people think the US Political Madness can be hectic, I need to go back and relax a little.

My personal beliefs on this has nothing to do with the Sainthood angle. It has to do with Mother Teresa's humanitarian efforts. Yes, I read and watched all the info given. I would probably find 1000's of info links to counter said claims.

As I said, I am no member of an organized religion and my position on religion is a lot like my political point of view. Leave me the frell alone and I will leave you the frell alone.

I just posted this topic because I see the Radical Atheists have their radicals, just like the religions have their radicals.

edit to add-

Thanks for ALL the comments everyone.

I never knew of the accusations about Mother Teresa, thanks for the info. I believe most people would just assume by what they had heard of her, that she was just a religious person that attempted to help people. I could be wrong.

[edit on 2/1/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Tens of millions of taxpaying folk don't want 'Israeli', dual-passport holders running the US and fomenting dozens of wars, terrorism and other Divide and Conquer tactics

is that all it takes to get rid of them ?

you just say, 'I don't want' ?

and they go away ?

It's that easy ?

Gee. Why didn't someone say so earlier ?

Ok. I DON'T WANT ....

I don't want this and I don't want that

Why isn't it stopping ?

Make it STOP !

Why isn't it stopping ?

WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I never knew of the accusations about Mother Teresa, thanks for the info. I believe most people would just assume by what they had heard of her, that she was just a religious person that attempted to help people. I could be wrong.

I guess my biggest problem with Teresa is that she takes money from the very people she gives it to. Her intentions do seem noble at the surface, but when i think of a "holy" person - the term "media whore" doesn't come to my mind.

Of course its just my opinion, but i believe there are lots of examples to prove that she constantly sought the spot light.

Perhaps i have the media, and not Teresa, to blame for that?

If i am wrong, then i do apologize both to God and to Teresa's memory.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

DUDE, doign what you done is the lowest form of smart assed ness... a simple reply would have done! i already know what i said, i dont need to be told again.

athiesim benefits society as much as other religions ... thats hardly at all.

its the most pretentious religion about!

i would say the classic religions have benefitted society more with their rules of kindness ect, not hurting people, not stealing and so on...

what the hell do aithiests actualy believe in anyway? other than theirs no god?

[edit on 1-2-2010 by boaby_phet]

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
my personal issue with " mother theresa - the great humanitarian " is her dogmatic refusal to impliment or even consider the issue of birth control - which would have made the biggest difference to the situation she faced

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

LOL that video was a great find
Star for you
, the only difference between these churches and clubs is that the club owners will admit their in it for the money !

Not to stray too far off topic - given that Mother Theresas' piety does not appear to be too unlike that of pastor Ted Haggard perhaps a postage stamp with tedddy boy on it would be appreciated by the flock.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

I don't want creepy religious icons of any kind forced upon me by any aspect of the govt.. plus it's disturbing that children seeing that might think being a nun is some kind of heroic venture. If a kid comes to that conclusion on their own, weird but great, more power to em.. but the govt shouldn't be suggesting which invisible man one should jump around to.

But if it's allowed, to be fair to all.. the govt should include icons all religions; The devil, Dreadlocked Rastafarian ministers of ganja, War painted African witch doctor swinging a dead chicken over his head.. or an Aztec carving up virgin a-la 'Dexter'.

I personally see most religious people and their flock as silly but generally harmless and as long as they all stay out of my personal space with their opinions, I fully support whatever religious endeavor anyone partakes in.

Thankfully I am very ignorant to which sect believes what about who, devil worshipers, christians, born again amish.. whatever, the govt shouldn't enforce a preference making one more credible than another... people should figure that out on their own.

How sad that feel you need to be deliberately provocative in some of your response followed by a dismissive nonchalance ... Is there really any need for it? Did it make you feel big or clever?

The whole tone of you post would have you sneering down your nose at those that believe in something different to you. And to end the insult you provide us with a video that is meant to offend those that believe, while those that do not believe can pat each other on the back while laughing and pointing at the weird people ....

I could hit back with insults about atheism and people of different beliefs but luckily my parents taught me about tolerance and open mindedness. They gave me certain values and instructed me on the correct way to conduct myself in a conversation... How to disagree while still showing respect!

It seems that you were not... either that or you failed to listen!

With regards to the stamp... Those that object to it have every right to object! But please do it in a respectful manner.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The atheist's tombstone read...... Here lies an atheist, all dressed up with no place to go.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

athiesim benefits society as much as other religions ... thats hardly at all.

Atheism is not a belief really, it's a lack of one. By that definition it is neither a benefit nor a detriment. One thing that we don't have, however, is atheists going around telling people we have it from on high that they know the will of some supreme being and using it for whatever purpose they see fit.

its the most pretentious religion about!

False, and you'd need more support to validate this is this is a serious point of conversation.

I'd suggest the idea is rather humbling.

i would say the classic religions have benefitted society more with their rules of kindness ect, not hurting people, not stealing and so on...

This is an impossible position to defend. I will, however, say that the former American slaves and natives might have disagreed with you.

Additionally, I see no reason to think that common social standards are from religion, but rather the other way around. Religion seems to get it's morality from us rather than the other way around.

A casual glance at history might confirm this.

what the hell do aithiests actualy believe in anyway? other than theirs no god?

I don't quite get your point in this. Atheists are not one group of like-minded thinkers. We are from all walks and thought groups.

Personally, I am a pro-life libertarian. There are many things to believe in that do not include or require mystical beings.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join