It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nick Pope - full documentary film interview.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Great, in-depth interview with Nick Pope who was the head of the "UFO desk" at Air Secretariat 2-A, British Ministry of Defence between the years 1991 and 1994 - I'd never seen this interview before and he makes some extremely interesting comments about 'unofficial' government attitudes towards the UFO subject (particularly when it comes to simultaneous radar confirmations) -he also covers some truly intriguing British UFO incidents.

NICK POPE – The man who left the MOD

Full Interview

Reality Films is pleased to present this unprecedented documentary film release, NICK POPE The man who left the MOD, the UFO phenomena unveiled. Nick Pope worked for the British Ministry of Defence for twenty one years. He became known as the Fox Mulder of Great Britain due to his ‘special position’ as the chief UFO investigator.

He has written four highly successful books on UFO’s and has appeared on television and radio all over the world. In fact, Nick Pope is probably one of the best known UFO investigators on the planet. And yet, he is the only official UFO investigator employed by the British government to ever go on record.

In this documentary Nick Pope for the first time since leaving the MOD goes on the record and spells out his beliefs, opinions and reveals the scope of his incredible insider knowledge.

The interview reveals and discusses:

Russians and Black Technology

Information about Rendlesham Forest

Quantum physics

Psychology

Government reports and sightings by insiders

Bio:

Nick Pope used to run the British Government's UFO project at the Ministry of Defence. Initially sceptical, his research and investigation into the UFO phenomenon and access to classified government files on the subject soon convinced him that the phenomenon raised important defence and national security issues, especially when the witnesses were military pilots or where UFOs were tracked on radar.

Link

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Statements:

"I concentrate on the science. I'm interested in the UFOs seen by the police and military witnesses. I'm interested in the near misses that pilots report, where their aircraft nearly collide with these things. I'm interested in the visual sightings backed up by radar. I'm interested in the military bases that are overflown by these things. I'm interested in the cases where you have radiation readings on the ground.
These are no lights in the sky. These are not mis-identifications of fantasy prone individuals. This is a cutting-edge technology being reported by reliable, trained observers, and it is something that goes beyond what we can do.
That to me suggests that if it is not ours, it belongs to someone else. If that technology is better than ours, then the extraterrestrial hypothesis seems to me the best explanation."
Nick Pope - Head of the "UFO desk" at Air Secretariat 2-A, British Ministry of Defence from 1991-1994

"Certainly when I socialized with my RAF colleagues, I would find that they were a little bit more receptive to the idea of UFOs--and by that I mean perhaps even an extraterrestrial explanation for this -- than you might have supposed. One of the reasons for that was that so many RAF pilots had actually seen things themselves. Many of them have never made an official report. I had one chap tell me that he had seen something over the North Sea. I asked him why he hadn't reported it, and he said, 'I don't want to be known as Flying Saucer Fred for the rest of my career.'"
Nick Pope - Head of the "UFO desk" at Air Secretariat 2-A, British Ministry of Defence from 1991-1994

"We were asking the Americans, 'Are you operating a prototype aircraft in our airspace?' That, of course, was nonsense. You simply would not do that from a diplomatic and political point of view. It would undermine the entire structure of NATO if you were putting things through someone else's airspace, particularly a close ally, without seeking the proper diplomatic clearance. But we had to ask. And the Americans, having had similar reports, I guess, since the Hudson Valley wave [New York state, mid-1980s], had been quietly asking us if we had some large, triangular shaped object that could go from 0 to Mach 5 in a second. Our response was that we wished we did. This was the bizarre situation: that we were chasing the Americans, and the Americans were chasing us."

"The official line from the Ministry of Defense is, 'Yes, this happened. No, we don't know what it is, but we say that it is of no defense significance.' How can it possibly be of no defense significance when your best jet is left for standing by a UFO? And, again, how can it be of no defense significance when your air defense region is routinely penetrated by structured craft?"

“On the basis of my offical research and investigation into UFO sightings and reports of alien contact, I am personally convinced that intelligent extraterrestrial are visiting Earth. I say this on the basis of the data available to me at the Ministry of Defense, both in terms of the historic records and the several hundred new cases that I investigated each year.
There was a hard core of cases that defied any conventional explanation and involved craft capable of speeds and maneuvers beyond the capabilities of our own technology. I was particularly interested in UFO sightings that could be correlated by radar and in reports where the witnesses were military personnel; such cases were directly responsible for my gradual conversion from skeptic to believer.”

Link

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Hey Karl,

I see the titles' been changed from 'Man who left MOD'. I personally think Nick Pope to be a scammer of the highest magnitude. There have been plenty of photos/vids presented to him which he will claim to be credible only to have been dismissed by actual sceptics later.

Were he to show even the least part of a critical thinking mind I'd have time for him. But as it is he is a 'believer' which makes him dangerous as he can't be trusted to search for the 'truth'. This man damages the study of UFOs beyond repair and I think he should stop receiving the attention he does as it makes us all look like fools.

-m0r

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Hi m0r thanks for sharing your opinions - I take it you didn't watch the interview then.

I'd be interested to hear why you're so unimpressed with the man -he makes some very interesting statements in the film and even if you don't like his mindset he does bring up some very intriguing UFO incidents.

This is only speculation on my part but due to the unique nature of his work he was also probably in a far better position than you or I to ascertain whether the subject had any validity or not.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Hey Karl,
I was wondering if you could provide an alternative link to the video interview since the one on Guba isn't working. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Hi Karl, you are correct in that I haven't watched this particular interview as I am having the same issues as Castiel with getting it to work.

I have however followed Mr Pope's career as an unelected 'expert' on all things UFO and have seen him make too many mistakes to be taken seriously. A fellow researcher named DanDare has done extensive work into Nick's past an example of their work can be found here. I've asked him to join this debate and give a more detailed background on Nick.

My own feelings are that he's a shyster and damages the good works of serious researchers. He's been documented on many occasions giving statements which are laudable only within the comedy circuit. To my mind I can recall these stories which he describes as 'genuine' or smoking gun proof.

1) A wind turbine broke due to rust (fatigue was the correct term) whilst Pope claimed to be the work of a UFO colliding with it (Possibly).
2) A speedometer reflected off of a window inside a car which Nick claimed was an alien ship buzzing central London.
3) The Red arrows that saluted the British Queen's birthday captured on Google Street view which Nick claimed 'Certainly isn't the Red Arrow'.
4) A CGI video from Bristol which I debunked was certainly interesting to him.
5) An obvious seagull was an intelligently designed structure of alien origins to him.

The list goes on and on. I hope DanDare can use his evidence to finally debunk this fraud and remove any chance of him profiting from the community until he does actual work and not just be a bum boy for sensationalist press. His recent validation of a Dublin UFO which was actually shot in California a year ago just goes to show how much research he does prior to putting his name on something.

I would really like for presentable evidence and refined reason to be adopted as the figurehead for research in this field instead of some goon who had a part-time job shuffling papers prior to pretending to be some British Fox Mulder.

So if nothing else Karl thanks for the opportunity to put an end to this charlatan's career and let's focus on beneficial research.

-m0r

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I have to disagree with Mor1arty that Pope is something of a scammer. I provide here a link to his talk at the Exopolitics Summit 2009.

www.ustream.tv...

Pope's presentation style is a little annoying, being that of a typical govermental minister, quite deliberate and exacting. If you can tolerate his voice and style, you will hear about very credible cases that occurred in Britain and around the world.

Not once does he state that the cases verify them to be of extraterrestrial origin, but does state that he and the British government cannot rule out the possibility that the cases do pertain to extraterrestrial activity.

In a way, for the British government to release British UFO files to the National Archives Office under the freedom of information act, is tantamount to near full disclosure. They cannot state catergorically that the cases are of extraterrestrial origin, because truly, they simply do not know, but neither do they deny the possibility, but that they remain open to the possibility.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Nick pope lol, hes as bad as dr greer. To him anything & everything is an alien spaceship even when its incredibly obvious hes looking at something normal.

theres only one explanation on why someone can be so incompetent. He's a charlatan looking to make money from the gullible.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Ask to the man what happened to THESE photos : ask to him to provide us with the ACTUAL PHOTOS, and he will gain my respect forever: as far as i'm concerned, he's a puppet being paid by some extremely questionable british tabloid to endorse whatever gets caught on camera.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies, the interview link is back working now and despite people's concerns over the misidentification of photographs, I do urge folks to watch it - he makes some pretty important comments about radar confirmed cases over the UK, he also goes into detail about British Police UFO reports ( Link ) and unexplained incidents over Cornwall and Scotland.

I also thought he makes a very good point below about the government's seemingly irresponsible attitude towards UFOs being "of no defense significance":

"The official line from the Ministry of Defense is, 'Yes, this happened. No, we don't know what it is, but we say that it is of no defense significance.' How can it possibly be of no defense significance when your best jet is left for standing by a UFO? And, again, how can it be of no defense significance when your air defense region is routinely penetrated by structured craft?"

Heres he is being interviewed on ITN News discussing the recent closing down of the government's UFO desk due to budget cuts - I thought it was interesting that states no money will be saved, he also suggests the MOD were quite underhand in the way they went about it.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
Nick pope lol, hes as bad as dr greer. To him anything & everything is an alien spaceship even when its incredibly obvious hes looking at something normal.

theres only one explanation on why someone can be so incompetent. He's a charlatan looking to make money from the gullible.

I haven't watched the interview yet...but I will. I have always been suspicious of Nick Pope mainly just intuition really. When he was still employed by the MOD he appeared on various documentaries and in newspapers always with the same explanation. He always said that what was seen was interesting but there was no evidence that it was a security risk, so therefore would not be investigated by the MOD.

After leaving the MOD he builds a career based on UFO's likely being ET in origin, a completely different view.

I don't know if he proclaims every UFO to be alien but he does manage to crop up in just as many papers and documentaries as he did before when he was an official sceptic. I get the feeling he is still a government employee and his job is now to cement the possibility that UFO's are E.T. in the publics mind. All the TV appearence and conference fees are just a nice little bonus.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Internos, that truly is an interesting case and, as I'm sure you're aware, its certainly not the first time strange objects have been sighted in that area.

I wonder just how many UFO photographs have gone conveniently 'missing' over the years - another intriguing example is the whereabouts of the images taken by the Police Chief involved in the Portage County incident -I'd give my eye teeth to see those.

Easynow did post some relevant links in the thread about the Pitlochry images - it appears whilst at the British Ministry of Defense, the photographs were 'misplaced' or shredded..

Pitlochry UFO Photographs?

Witnesses reported seeing a large, diamond-shaped object hanging in the air next to a RAF Harrier above the A9 at Calvine, north of Pitlochry, on August 4.

The UFO is said to have hovered for about 10 minutes before zooming skywards at high speed and disappearing from view.

The apparent close encounter of the Caledonian kind was photographed by members of the public whose images appear to show a blurry, diamond-shaped craft next to a jet.

Fearing the pictures would spark significant media interest, the MoD decided to bring it to the attention of the Government...

"On this occasion, however, the MoD has been provided with six photographic negatives of an alleged UFO... and has been asked for comments almost certainly for inclusion in a forthcoming story."

The memo suggested the media should be told that "no definite conclusion had been reached regarding the large diamond-shaped object".

It has also emerged the MoD went on to commission a series of line drawings of the object the following year, noting that the "sensitivity of the material suggests very special handling".

Former MoD civil servant Nick Pope, who dealt with UFO reports, described the image as the "most impressive" ever shown to his department.

He said: "The MoD has all sorts of equipment and expertise that we used to analyse and enhance imagery to tell whether there were any signs of fakery.

"This picture was assessed by our digital experts, who concluded it was a real photograph showing a solid-structured craft which was estimated as being around 25m in diameter.

"There were no wings and no visible signs of any propulsion system.

"It was exotic and unknown in a way far beyond even the most modern stealth aircraft being trialled at that time."

Pope, who served in the MoD for 21 years until 2006, claims they were unable to come up with any firm answers about the craft and its origins.

"I remember going to a briefing with the defence intelligence staff where the photograph was discussed.

"My opposite number in defence intelligence pointed his finger to the left and said, 'It is not the Americans,' then to the right, saying, 'It is not the Soviets,' and finally, he said, 'That only leaves...' and pointed his finger directly up."

During his time with the ministry, Pope had a blown-up copy of the photograph on his office wall until it was personally taken down by his superior. He recalled: "My head of division removed it and put it in his drawer because he was convinced, wrongly in my opinion, that it showed a top secret prototype craft.

"Somewhere along the line the photo disappeared, but I have no idea whether it was genuinely misplaced or whether it was treated as something we shouldn't have seen and put through a shredder."

Link

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Karl, in my humble opinion it would be a good idea to start a thread about cases in which evidences got somehow missing: now it came to mind also the Cecconi's case: if that was some solar ballon then how comes that 28 over 30 more photos have vanished?
You have already proven yourself to be very gifted for this type of threads, and you can rely on me for whatever you'd need: i bet that we would achieve some surprising results

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Good post S&F

This is my first Nick Pope video, I have heard about him and seen pictures of him in the past but didn't really know what he was all about.

Based on the interview I have just watched I have to disagree with anyone who calls him a scammer or total believer, from what I have just observed he is telling us how he got into his job at the MOD and that he was open minded about the subject, he seems like a genuine guy to me.

He tells us about the various sightings from both the public and MOD staff, he also mentions that he cannot rule out that some of these UFO's are of extraterrestrial origin and also mentions there is no hard proof.

He does not mention that he is a believer in this video, he is just presenting what he has been told by other people, does anyone have a link to prove otherwise then feel free to post it!

Watch the video and you will hear where this guy is coming from

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by internos
Karl, in my humble opinion it would be a good idea to start a thread about cases in which evidences got somehow missing: now it came to mind also the Cecconi's case: if that was some solar ballon then how comes that 28 over 30 more photos have vanished?
You have already proven yourself to be very gifted for this type of threads, and you can rely on me for whatever you'd need: i bet that we would achieve some surprising results

Internos, thanks for the reply and the very kind words - that thread sounds like a mighty fine idea.

Just off the top of my head, the missing evidence report in the Davis-Monthan incident stands out and I'd never heard about the missing images in the Cessoni case.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of missing reports/photographs/radar confirmations etc.. out there and, when collated into just one thread, the results could be pretty surprising.

The case of the Missing report:

This case is a classic. The late Dr. James McDonald made a valiant attempt in get details from original witnesses after discovering that a major report, submitted to Blue Book by the “UFO Officer” (who was one of the witnesses!) at Davis-Monthan, was missing.

The following letter from Dr. McDonald dated July 14, 1966, was sent to Major Quintanilla, Blue Book head:

Dear Major Quintanilla:

Following our second unsuccessful effort to locate in the Blue Book files any record of the B-36 incident at Davis-Monthan AFB, I have asked Maj. Postalozzi to put down in a letter to me an account of such details as he can still remember with confidence..

He recalls filing a rather thick report on this B-36 case, the thickest he ever filed on a UFO. It included not only his own observations and those of the B-36 crew which he personally interrogated, but also that of an airman who was standing beside him during most of the time of his own observation...

The Davis-Monthan AFB UFO Incident -1952

Will start having a dig round for some other examples.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Pope's presentation is interesting as far as it goes, but nothing new I think. What I didn't like about the show is the constant background music/singing/chanting. The intro section also reminded me of too many YouTube home mades and really undermined the whole thing before it started. We don't need any Wham, Bam Thank You Ma'am razamattaz to accompany a serious disussion/presentation.

WG3

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by findlesticks
..He tells us about the various sightings from both the public and MOD staff, he also mentions that he cannot rule out that some of these UFO's are of extraterrestrial origin and also mentions there is no hard proof.

Findlesticks, thanks for the reply - you're not wrong about Mr Pope covering some very interesting incidents - some of which I'd never heard of before.

Here he is making some fair points about the UFO subject and mainstream science:

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

S and F for you Karl 12. I will be watching this thread with great interest as I have had Pope in my grey basket here as of late.Mor1arty made several points in his post that also made me question his motives.I used to really respect him, not so much anymore.It is also great to read a thread with opposing views are not filled with name calling,self generated proclamations or distortions.So thanks to all participating thus far.Internos and karl 12 get started on the missing evidences thread looking forward to it.

top topics

join