It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's official: A Corporation is running for Congress!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Wow. I'm sorry but this is so ridiculous I literally burst out laughing! If this is a hoax, it's one hell of a clever one, if it's real...I'll see ya in anotha life brotha!

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
So now that the "personhood" status of corporations has been solidified, when will they start paying income taxes on the same scale a REAL person is held to?

And I must also ask, are hostile corporate takeovers to be viewed as kidnapping, slavery, murder, or some combination of the above?

Also we must reevaluate the whole "Marriage is between a man and a woman" tautology or there will never be another corporate merger!

[edit on 30-1-2010 by Ragu23]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I can see an upside to this. I am now kinda hoping they will bring back the draft! In Supreme Court lala land perhaps corporations can be drafted to fight the war on terror.

The way I see that working is if corporations are "persons" then shouldn't their shareholders and employees be eligible for military duty? Of course we couldn't send all of their workers just the ones who would have the least impact on productivity. So naturally we should send the executive leadership and major shareholders first, being that they do so little of the real work.

Nothing to be concerned about here folks. This is just the natural evolution of humanity towards artificial intelligence, machines and that great contract in the sky!

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Then people should just not vote for them. If they do, then they deserve the government they get.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Did anyone bother to read the Huffington post article a few pages back?

This is a satire, but its also real.

The point of it, is to see how far they can go with it. Expect these guys to show up on the Colbert Report and the Daily Show soon. The first real news outlet I bet they'll be on is MSNBC and probably Rachel Madow's show.

So its a joke, but its a very serious joke.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

To think that I even ask the pro ruling about this same thing, now corporations can run for positions of power, none of them answer back to me.

How bad it is?

"The court has, in effect, legalized foreign governments and foreign corporations to participate in our electoral politics … The Japanese corporations, the European corporations will do it instantly through American subsidiaries

That bad.

[edit on 30-1-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by daddyroo45

Believe me, I don't think this is funny at all. I couldn't believe the decision when I heard about it.

We have got to fix this...unfortunately...it's going to be extremely difficult to do. The next elections will most likely be a sham. We could lose the few good politicians we have left.

It was a terrible attack against individual liberty and our Constitution.

I've also got to admit...watching this video is surreal.

To think we'd see the day that this could even be possible...let alone LEGAL.

[edit on 29-1-2010 by David9176]

I thought this was funny... until I realized they are serious. Oh. My. God. Corporations are not people, they exist to provide additional rights and privileges that ordinary people do not have. The idea of corporations is not capitalist... its fascist. Corporations should not exist. If a for-profit company wants to exist, fine.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

Then people should just not vote for them. If they do, then they deserve the government they get.

I think you are right. As offensive as corporations running for government are, I believe groups of people should have the same rights as individuals. A corporation is simply a group of people who has been granted special rights and privileges that the rest of us don't have. While its reprehensible they have special rights (because rights should be equal), I don't think any of them should be taken away.

Furthermore, corporations that put them self on the ballot are more honest. Right now when I go to the ballot it says something like John Smith(R) Bob Jones(D), but what it means is my voting options are Goldman Sachs(R) and John Deere(D). So, it would be nice if that process was more transparent.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest

I thought this was funny... until I realized they are serious. Oh. My. God. Corporations are not people, they exist to provide additional rights and privileges that ordinary people do not have. The idea of corporations is not capitalist... its fascist. Corporations should not exist. If a for-profit company wants to exist, fine.

Maybe we should all become corporations.

I'm thinking about incorporating my entire family even my dog.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
This may well be funny to some people,but not for me. The SCOTUS screwed the pooch on this ruling. Elections can now be bought outright,legally,with full support of the Supreme Court.
If people don't wake up soon,and see what's happening to this country. They'll awake to find themselves in a country where debtors prisons are back in vogue,and not supporting the corporation is a treasonist act.

www.rumormillnews.com...

Read that. We have been in the place you speak of since1790, ALL prisons are debtors prisons, they always have been. And the people are there because they didn't object. That's right. Just object to the sentence enough times and case dismissed. Read the article, written by a Judge and see for yourself.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

What don't you people get? WE ARE ALL CORPORATE FICTIONS!!! That is why they have changed the laws, so the law applies to everyone!!

Nixon gave corporations the same rights as flesh and blood people back in the 70's. Man you people got to educate yourselves.

The U.S. is a corporation, Congress is a farce, and we are slaves. It's that simple. Ever wonder WHY you pay federal and state income tax when you are NOT a federal or state EMPLOYEE? Because when a business applies for a license and registers itself, it becomes property of the State, and YOU become a State employee THEREBY. And all the states are owned by the Federal Government and you becaome a liability to the Federal Government, ergo, you are Federal property. Get it?

So you OWE the governmnet for your existence. I sincerely hope that someday more people wake up to the real truth and reality and take the necessary steps to undo what has been done. UCC-1 Financing Statement is a start and it does work. It is there for you. It is the out that all of you seek. It will make you a Sovereign.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Corps shouldn't be running for a seat just as unions shouldn't be running for POTUS.

None of this would even be an issue if the fed didn't have an office regulating every aspect of life or the power to mandate anything it wanted or to imprison or kill anyone it wanted.

The lesson here isn't "omgz some entity can buy a seat" because seats have been bought and sold for a century now. The issue is that the fed is so bloated and powerful that by virtue of a bought seat some entity other than you can run your life as it wants.

If people are going to express outrage and learn a lesson let it be outrage at the real problem and a lesson of how your liberty has been lost for decades now.

Even Alan Colmes last night had to admit union and "lefty" special interest groups were no different in their political swaying than these corps. Of course right before commercial he had to qualify it with "but the unions are good". Moron.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

ah, sorry, I guess I should keep my nose out of American Politics ... do you think all the other sites just picked up the original article?

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
"What if"

A corporation holds a political seat, and it is bought out by another corporation?

Would the new corporation take the political seat?

Just a thought...

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Are we certain that this company is not trying to sarcastically make some kind of point? The ruling that allowed unlimited campaign financing was predicated on the notion that corporations, as entities comprised of individuals, have a right to free speech, and that limiting their right to campaign contributions and ad financing would be limiting those rights (something I personally disagree with to say the least, but that was the basis of the ruling it would seem.)

So is it possible that this company is just trying to make a point, that since corporations have free speech now, why not count them as people and let them run for office?

If not, and if they're actually serious.... then I think my head may finally explode and be done with it.

[edit on 1/30/2010 by AceWombat04]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by xorkion

I would say these Corporations have already bought the corporation BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA. Notice all the CAPS.

Obama Top Contributors-

University of California $1,591,395
Goldman Sachs $994,795
Harvard University $854,747
Microsoft Corp $833,617
Google Inc $803,436
Citigroup Inc $701,290
JPMorgan Chase & Co $695,132
Time Warner $590,084
Sidley Austin LLP $588,598
Stanford University $586,557
National Amusements Inc $551,683
UBS AG $543,219
Wilmerhale Llp $542,618
Skadden, Arps et al $530,839
IBM Corp $528,822
Columbia University $528,302
Morgan Stanley $514,881
General Electric $499,130
US Government $494,820
Latham & Watkins $493,835

[edit on 1/30/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Apart from that it is a joke unto itself, it does raise some interesting issues, and there are alot of questions that are not answered by this. One being what constitutes a coperations. If it is a business, then what is to stop a bunch of people, who all work for the same company from donating? And I would be interested to see what else gets under this. If you consider that the UNIONS, are normally involved in politics, to include giving large sums to people running for office, I think that they need to sit back and actually go through and rewrite the laws, to prevent any one organization from donating large amounts, both under that organization and also individuals as well.
Personally I think that all such should be given into a general election fund, accessable by any canidate who wants to run for political office, and that it be under public review.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by milesp

Cheers milesp !

" It was their dream to build the best democracy money can buy. "

This may bring some attention to the subject of "corporate personhood" .

===============================================

These many pages of comments show us how mixed up our world has become , we can`t see the wood from the trees any longer.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Yeah, there's two things that are funny. First how now all of a sudden obama's morals say this is a bad thing after all the corporate money he took. And second he was dead wrong in his SOTU speach he left out the little fact that all the Supreme Court did was throw out McCain/ Feingold all the other protections are still in place:www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by xorkion

I would say these Corporations have already bought the corporation BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA. Notice all the CAPS.

Yeah:

"Capitis" refers to the head and the status of the "head". Ah well. One thing I'm trying to find out is if a miniscule/majuscule distinction even existed until the middle ages.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join