It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIME? Is it faster for those older? Slower for those younger? Does its speed change?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Why does TIME fool us?

Why does time go so slow when you're sad and so fast when you're happy? Today has been a great day, but it is flying by. Yesterday was a bad day and it seemed like it would never end. WHY? Anyone else notice that?

Or how about it going sooooo slow in school as a kid, and decades flying by when we are older….

Is it just a math thing? Being only age 10 means it’s a tenth of your life, but at 50 its only a 50th? I dunno?

Have you ever contemplated as to WHY?

Is it just me…or have you experienced this?

Since there is (supposedly) no time in ‘eternity’…at that realm there is no past, present and future. How does ‘vantage point’ help with perception? The Christian God did say IAM that IAM…from what I’ve studied that means the continual state of BEING. Could reality be ‘past’ / ‘faster’ than the speed of light? Eternity? Another dimension?

Are we all living in a MATRIX?

OT

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Hi, OldThinker.

Here I come with MY theory of relativity ! !

Do you remember when you where 4 years old, how looooong a
year was, between the visits of Santa ???
The ONE year wait was *** 20% *** of ALL your life.

Now, relatively:
When you are 50 years old, ONE year is 2% of all your life,
and,
when you are 100 years old, ONE year is 1% of all your life.

Sooooooo that is why, when we grow older, relatively, we sense that
time goes "faster". . . It dos NOT !

Time becomes a smaler and smaler and smaler %percentage% of our past life. . .

Blue skies.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

Thank you C!

I'll look through your logic...

OT

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

PS: Thx my Canadian friend, I am currently in Northern MICH....freakin cold for sure!

Got much snow there?

OT

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by C-JEAN
Hi, OldThinker.

Here I come with MY theory of relativity ! !

Do you remember when you where 4 years old, how looooong a
year was, between the visits of Santa ???
The ONE year wait was *** 20% *** of ALL your life.

Now, relatively:
When you are 50 years old, ONE year is 2% of all your life,
and,
when you are 100 years old, ONE year is 1% of all your life.

Sooooooo that is why, when we grow older, relatively, we sense that
time goes "faster". . . It dos NOT !

Time becomes a smaler and smaler and smaler %percentage% of our past life. . .

Blue skies.

I read this same explanation in another thread. I think you nailed it. That makes a ton of sense. It's all relative to your age.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

The irony is that as I'm slowing down; time speeds up....oh, now I get it.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ivorywire

I read this same explanation in another thread. I think you nailed it. That makes a ton of sense. It's all relative to your age.

Hey ivorywire, thank you for posting...I used to think it was just an age/perception...thing?

But how does this theory work when you are bored/pissed/wishing work would end for the day at 30 yrs of age? And your partying weekend, before Monday, flys by like you were never there??

Could there be more to this friend?

OT

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Michio Kaku has a great video about how we perceive time passing, I saw it on TV some time ago and it is fascinating!

Watch it here
www.youtube.com...

He is one smart cookie!

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
Michio Kaku has a great video about how we perceive time passing, I saw it on TV some time ago and it is fascinating!

Watch it here
www.youtube.com...

He is one smart cookie!

ok berkeleygal, I watched it...why would he say evidence needs to be QUANTIFIABLE and not, at least collect 30 randon, stratified samples? Or did the youtube run out of TIME
no pun intended...

Seriously I'm a MBB statitician...and a sample of 5 gets us SQUAT for reliable data...

Cute vid tho....please advise friend

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Hey! I've been to the U.P. I used to think anything over 20 degrees was shirtsleeve weather.
But's that's relative, like I think our perception of time is.
In aikido I have seen a thrown object "hang" in the air, and have a sparring partner ask me where I went to, while I am standing directly behind them. Very "matrix" like.
But, I wonder, how can it be my perception when I can move so fast according to others?

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

The irony is that as I'm slowing down; time speeds up....oh, now I get it.

yes, whaaa, me too!

You good tonight friend?

Thank you for dropping bye

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
Why does TIME fool us?

...time has no abilities, no power and is just another contagious fairy tale created by anal retentive humans besieged by a pyschosis that requires the constant measuring of hooey...

...ps: thx for getting that "livin on tulsa time" song stuck in my head - it'll go great with the horse's ass i'm painting...

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The old adages that "Time flies when you're having fun"... and "The watched pot never boils", yeah it's a perception thing~ but not a true reality!

The clocks sweeping second hand seems slow at times and fast at other times, but it is a constant... those of us who make music and do video know this all too well!

A 3-minute song can be so0 confining and yet a moment can be opened into suggesting infinity! Then again an entire score can seem to drag~ while momentary abrupt movements that transition or effect a shift can bring excitement that makes that time zoom- therefor movies of the same length can (due to their content) seem fast or so0 slow!

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by alttracks
Hey! I've been to the U.P. I used to think anything over 20 degrees was shirtsleeve weather.
But's that's relative, like I think our perception of time is.
In aikido I have seen a thrown object "hang" in the air, and have a sparring partner ask me where I went to, while I am standing directly behind them. Very "matrix" like.
But, I wonder, how can it be my perception when I can move so fast according to others?

I have seen such....

"Tang Soo"

OT

PS: the UP is out there COLD

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

Originally posted by OldThinker
Why does TIME fool us?

...time has no abilities, no power .....

So we DIE for what reason?

Help the ole guy out....

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Is time relative to the rate at which Bose-Einstein field collapses?

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by YeHUaH ELaHaYNU

Movies and songs are great examples of this paradox (perceived as is? Maybe?)

That's the OP's question....

Thank you YeHUaH ELaHaYNU...interesting name...its meaning?

OT

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

Is time relative to the rate at which Bose-Einstein field collapses?

Not sure...could you expand on this BOSE-EINSTEIN theory? And how it may relate?

OT

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
There is a misunderstanding of Einstein's relativity in this thread. Einstein's theory says that the faster you move, the slower you age, not anything about time slowing when you get older.

Basically, in order to age slower, or live longer, you have to be on an object that is moving faster than the Earth. If the speed is extreme, then this object must also be big enough to where you do not feel that speed, otherwise, you'll turn into putty.

Now I don't know what the proportion of speed and age is, but if we were to assume that the galaxy is rotating, the solar system within the galaxy is rotating, and the Earth within that solar system is rotating, then I'm guessing that the "cumulative velocity" times age must equal to the speed of light.

As far as to why you age slower when you move, well, at the center of every particle is a vibrating string of a certain frequency. For now, my guess is that the more you move, the more space you distort around that string, such that now that string has to propagate along that space, such that now it takes longer than to reach the "older" state, if it were standing still.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I am not a physicist but am aware that all quantum reality (and hence what we then percieve as reality) exists as probability...
...as neither wave nor particle...
...and only collapses to a wave or particle when 'observed'.

Is time relative to the rate of collapse?
Is time relative to the observer and the rate at which they collapse the field?
Would time then speed up or slow down depending on who was observing?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join