It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Clowning Around- A Pie in the face makes you a Terrorist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

A protest pie thrown at the federal fisheries minister should make Ottawa look into whether an animal-rights group should be labelled "terrorist," says an MP from Newfoundland and Labrador.

Gerry Byrne, the Liberal MP for Humber-St. Barbe-Baie Verte, said the behaviour of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is threatening and intimidating and puts seal hunters at risk.

Byrne was speaking after the group known as PETA claimed responsibility for a pie attack Monday against Federal Fisheries Minister Gail Shea in Burlington, Ont.

"There has to be a review whether or not PETA has crossed the line now by attacking a federal minister of the Crown for the purpose of public intimidation of an office-holder," Byrne told CBC News on Tuesday.

Shea was delivering a speech at the Canada Centre for Inland Waters when Emily McCoy of New York City stood up in the front row, walked up to Shea and pushed the pie, made of soybean curd, into her face. McCoy, 37, has been charged with assault.

www.cbc.ca...

PETA may take things to the extreme sometimes..but I want to know if this wasn't an act done by a member of PETA, would it still be given as much attention?
They say they are punishing the act..but it seems they are making a political statement instead.
If I walk up to somebody on the street, pie them in the face and shout "TREAT ANIMALS ETHICALLY!"...Am I a terrorist?

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well here's the precedence:

awurl.com...

I know Bob Greenberg who also was convicted for his pie "throwing"

www.real-dream-catchers.com...

The coalition was tested when a zealous Earth First! activist named Bob Greenberg pushed a pie into the face of a state senator for her refusal to hold hearings on the reroute issue. The media portrayed the event as a violent attack, setting off a wave of condemnation among some vocal coalition members who distanced themselves by calling for Greenberg's ouster. Dubbing himself "Agent Pecan of the Biotic Baking Brigade," Greenberg says, "On Tuesday, March 30th I gently pressed an $18 vegan lemon coconut cream pie into the face of state senator Carol Flynn. It is being portrayed erroneously as a violent act committed out of rage. This was a prank not intended to intimidate or hurt anyone."20 Ojibwe elder Darlene Jackson was meeting with Flynn in the minutes prior to Greenberg's prank. "Carol Flynn told me she would put the reroute on the floor and let the Legislature reconsider it. There was a young man in her office, an anarchist page, who knew Flynn had made a deal with MnDot and never intended to keep her word. That anarchist page called Bob Greenberg and then it happened. After she got the pie, Flynn pushed Bob and he fell against me and I went down those marble stairs. I strained ligaments in my neck and my health hasn't been the same since." But when prosecutors called her to testify against Greenberg, Jackson told the court, " I understand Bob's feelings and I forgive him. I don't blame Bob for what happened." Others in the struggle embraced Greenberg for his actions. "It's going to take all sorts of people taking all sorts of steps to stop this thing, "said one activist. "If this brings further attention to the issue then I applaud him." Greenberg is serving 60 days work release for the incident.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I might not give it the elevated status of terrorism, but it could be easily construed as an assault. Terrorism is a broadly defined word these days so it might actually fit the definition.

I don't remember the terrorist charge tossed out as easily when ralph nader got pied in the face.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

What if...
A guy has bean burritos for dinner washed down with a couple of
cold ones.The next morning,same guy,has a 3 egg omelet for breakfast.
Later, that morning, he is attending a conference where the guest
speaker is a public official.When he announces the speaker,at the podium,
he passes gas and the official passes out.Would this guy be labled a
biological terrorist? In this day and age,probably.

The old saying...you have to keep your hands to your self.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by drew hempel

Doesn't apply as a precedence as this happened in Canada, not the US. Although we do have a precedence set here...

www.mindfully.org...

CHARLOTTETOWN - The man who shoved a cream pie in Prime Minister Jean Chrétien's face has been sentenced to 30 days in jail.

Evan Brown was also ordered to contribute $50 toward a victims' compensation fund.

Brown was found guilty in April of assaulting Chrétien in Charlottetown last August. The prime minister was greeting a crowd of well-wishers when the incident occurred.

I really hope they don't label PETA as terrorists for this. I don't agree with what they do on a regular basis but they are not terrorists. If they are, than there are a whole lot of other groups who will fit the definition too. We don't need that level of silliness here. let the counter terrorist police chase after real terrorists, not animal rights groups. It's not like they tried to blow something up or kill Minister Shea.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I read about this in the paper the other day, made me chuckle.

Now I am no fan of PETA, in fact I think the whole organization is hypocritical and should be dismantled.

But are they a terrorist group? I guess it depends on your definition and interpretation of what a terrorist is.

It's a bit of a stretch, even for me, a self-described PETA hater.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

What if...
A guy has bean burritos for dinner washed down with a couple of
cold ones.The next morning,same guy,has a 3 egg omelet for breakfast.
Later, that morning, he is attending a conference where the guest
speaker is a public official.When he announces the speaker,at the podium,
he passes gas and the official passes out.Would this guy be labled a
biological terrorist? In this day and age,probably.

The old saying...you have to keep your hands to your self.

omg..WMD'S!!!!

"Ooppps..excuse me..didn't mean to drop a bomb over there.."

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
reply to post by drew hempel

Doesn't apply as a precedence as this happened in Canada, not the US. Although we do have a precedence set here...

www.mindfully.org...

CHARLOTTETOWN - The man who shoved a cream pie in Prime Minister Jean Chrétien's face has been sentenced to 30 days in jail.

Evan Brown was also ordered to contribute $50 toward a victims' compensation fund.

Brown was found guilty in April of assaulting Chrétien in Charlottetown last August. The prime minister was greeting a crowd of well-wishers when the incident occurred.

I really hope they don't label PETA as terrorists for this. I don't agree with what they do on a regular basis but they are not terrorists. If they are, than there are a whole lot of other groups who will fit the definition too. We don't need that level of silliness here. let the counter terrorist police chase after real terrorists, not animal rights groups. It's not like they tried to blow something up or kill Minister Shea.

Thanks..
This is the type of comparison I was hoping for.
The word terrorist is becoming a broader brush with which to paint any group that goes against government and policies, whether they act as a whole or singularly.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
It's a good point because I know an activist who staged a "throw up" protest where everyone just shoved fingers down their throats. As I type Bambi is literally 5 feet from me staring in my window -- TERRORIST!

reply to post by Seiko

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Throwing a pie is considered an assault,touching anybody,anywhere
is considered an assault.You have to remember to keep your hands
to yourselves.I wonder what will be next on the terrorist, activities
list? Have they considered breathing on someone an assault yet?

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

Throwing a pie is considered an assault,touching anybody,anywhere
is considered an assault.You have to remember to keep your hands
to yourselves.I wonder what will be next on the terrorist, activities
list? Have they considered breathing on someone an assault yet?

garlic breath....

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It's the garlic-# cross over that I prefer but us terrorists each have our own unique secrets.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Assault :

(1) A person commits an assault when

(a) without the consent of another person, he applies force intentionally to that other person, directly or indirectly;

(b) he attempts or threatens, by an act or a gesture, to apply force to another person, if he has, or causes that other person to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present ability to effect his purpose; or

(c) while openly wearing or carrying a weapon or an imitation thereof, he accosts or impedes another person or begs.

The section of the CCC website regarding assault can be found here.
laws.justice.gc.ca...:l_VIII-gb:s_264_1//en#anchorbo-ga:l_VIII-gb:s_264_1

Terrorism

Under the act, terrorism is defined as an act of violence committed for political, religious or ideological reasons.

hmmm walks like a duck...

new topics

top topics

join