It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The chance of discovering life on other worlds is greater than ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
"Technology has advanced so that for the very first time we can actually have the realistic hope of detecting planets no bigger than the earth orbiting other stars," he said.

He said however that life and intelligence on other planets would undoubtedly come in forms that are beyond human capacity, "as much as we [humans] are beyond a chimpanzee," he added.

His comments come as hundreds of scientists and astronomers gather in London for an international conference to discuss the prospect of discovering extra-terrestrial life, a topic that has provoked the curiosity and interest of influential individuals and entities, including the Vatican.

www.presstv.ir...

Hope for detecting extra-terrestrial life

The chance of discovering life on other worlds is greater than ever, according to Britain's leading astronomer.

Lord Rees, the president of the Royal Society and Astronomer Royal, said such a discovery would be a moment which would change humanity.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Can anyone else feel a build up? Like something is going happen pretty soon?

[edit on 25-1-2010 by Haydn_17]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
It's all good and well, certainly not a bad thing that scientists are truely opening themselves up to the probablility that life exists elsewhere but your thread title is misleading. I don't see any 'compelling evidence' in this story.

What did you mean by the title of your thread? Did I miss something?

thanks

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

The title was from the first sentence in the Presstv link, ive changed it now as it was very misleading.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
ahh, ok. Much better now

This is really encouraging isn't it? I really feel it is arrogant of us to assume we're alone given the facts now surfacing with regards to exoplanets and I hope it's not long before we have something definitive to hold on to.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

I feel we are closer than ever to finding something, i don't care what they look like, i just want them to be friendly and have a free seat back to there home world.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
For all the ones who (like me) believe that we are not alone, the trend of discoveries should be very comforting: the more we are learning, the more are increasing the chances to findout that life does exist out there. I agree with Chonx: to assume that we're alone in some place that even which boundaries are still unknown to us is extremely arrogant: we are used to evaluate the cases using our LIMITED knowledge as parameter, forgetting that to the eyes of some more evolved race we could look as meaningless as some bacteria, who really knows? BUt honestly, i don't see this as some precursor of imminent disclosure (if this was the question).

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
why discover something when we can sit back and let it discover us? i'm lazy, it's my nature. some call it a sweeping device, i call it a broom.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I just posted this in another thread...

The chance of discovering life on other worlds is greater than ever, according to Britain's leading astronomer.

Lord Rees, the president of the Royal Society and Astronomer Royal, said such a discovery would be a moment which would change humanity.

It would change our view of ourselves and our place in the cosmos, he said.

"I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms that we can't conceive.

Looks like they are getting the public ready for disclosure soon....

In the Wilcock/Fulford audio blog it was said, Disclosure This Year...

I can feel something going to happen...

PEACE and LOVE...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by internos
BUt honestly, i don't see this as some precursor of imminent disclosure (if this was the question).

You know, I find it funny how in many people's minds, it is already a given fact that governments or some higher human authority has prior knowledge of extraterrestrial life. What if (dun dun duh!) No one has ever had any contact with a geniune alien? What if there is no conspiracy to hide information on such subjects from the masses?

I agree that there is a mountain of evidence to suggest otherwise but It just seems odd to me because for disclosure to even be a possbility, other pre-requesit conspiracies have to be true aswell! Or maybe it's just me.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Interesting, I remember not long ago that the astronomy scientific community scoffed at the prospect of extra terrestrial life. Why the change of heart?
I'm sure James McGaha the astronomer giant ufo skeptic would be singing a different tune.

If there are extra terrestrial races out there, its not ludicrous to think they would be curious about us and visit. James McGha thinks the notion is science fiction and fantasy.
I'd love to one day see an alien lay an egg on his head.

top topics

join