It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you give up your liberty to be safe from terrorism?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   

A majority of Americans are willing to give up liberty in order to be safer from terrorism. A stunning new McClatchy-Ipsos poll has found that 51 percent of Americans agree with this statement: 

"it is necessary to give up some civil liberties in order to make the country safe from terrorism."

well thats funny I remember somebody saying something quite different...

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."-Benjamin Franklin.

Have Americans really been brainwashed into willingly giving up their essential liberties just so they can feel a little safer?
thetruthwins.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
To hell with that. Who conducted this anyway?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Darky5K

you might wanna check the link.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Truly sad.
Ironically, it's not terrorism that will destroy us, it's the apathy shown by the general public that will be our undoing.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Yes, because those filthy, lying politicians who always get caught in scandals involving bribes, lost money and organized crime that we always complain about would NEVER lie to gain more power and hurt us, would they?

God, Americans have become the dumbest people on Earth. George Carlin was right; they'll roll over like that without thought

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I've got a better chance of getting hit by lightning than being killed in a terrorist attack.

I'm able to get through my day without giving up any freedom for protection me from lightning, heck the thought of the threat of lightning rarely crosses my mind.

I think I could do just fine being unprotected from terrorism if it means my continued freedom.

Hope those idiots who participated in that poll enjoy their chains.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Hope those idiots who participated in that poll enjoy their chains.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by FortAnthem]

It's not the ones who participated- it's the ones who answered they felt in danger 24/7 from their own shadow because FOX and CNN said so.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

haha i posted all those odds some where in a thread forget which one it was pretty amusing you have a better chance of dying on the toilet or in the bathtub by a big percentage, i ask do you want the gov to protect you from that too? lol

found it

Odds of being struck by lightning: 576,000 to 1

Odds of being killed by lightning: 2,320,000 to 1

Odds of drowning in a bathtub: 685,000 to 1

Chance of dying in a terrorist attack while visiting a foreign country: 1 in 650,000 thats just in a foreign country im sure its like 500,000,000 to one or better here in the US

Odds of being murdered: 18,000 to 1

Odds of fatally slipping in bath or shower: 2,232 to 1

Chance of dying from a car accident: 1 in 18,585

Chance of dying from any kind of fall: 1 in 20,666

Chance of dying from accidental drowning: 1 in 79,065

Chance of dying from exposure to smoke, fire, and flames: 1 in 81,524

Chance of dying in an explosion: 1 in 107,787

[edit on 23-1-2010 by OpTiMuS_PrImE]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by OpTiMuS_PrImE

I never thought of it that way. makes you wonder what all the fuss is about.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."-Benjamin Franklin.

Have Americans really been brainwashed into willingly giving up their essential liberties just so they can feel a little safer?

In the USA we have at least the elusion of freedom.
I for one say no....

Watcher

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Perhaps they just forgot some Civics classes, and are confusing civil liberties (sacred) with personal liberties (optional, like searches at the airport).

Without a distinction, it's become an instinctive response to a well-worn question in circulation since 9/11.

Not to be difficult, but after that incident, America was found to have the most liberal boarding procedures of any major nation, btw. So increasing our security to the levels of most developed nations was a major change, from extra easy to much more vigilant. This caught a lot of people by surprise, but airports in foreign countries? Not so much.

Maybe that's what people thought was being referred to. I hope!

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I personally would not give up any liberty for protection against terrorism, knowing what I do know now, gained from researching and simple observation. However, 8 years ago, I probably would have been one of those people willing to give up essential liberties to feel a bit safer.

It's the misinformed, closed-minded, or those in denial that are the ones who are willing to sacrifice freedom. Oh and of course, those made so paranoid of terrorism by the media.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

"it is necessary to give up some civil liberties in order to make the country safe from terrorism."

LOL. Let me see if I got this straight. So the "terrorist" want to destroy our way of life and take away our "freedoms". So in order to protect ourselves from people who wish to take away our "freedoms" we must give up our "freedoms"?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by harvib

LOL. Let me see if I got this straight. So the "terrorist" want to destroy our way of life and take away our "freedoms". So in order to protect ourselves from people who wish to take away our "freedoms" we must give up our "freedoms"?

...Yes. It makes perfect sense, doesn't it? It's like the Underwear Gnomes on South Park in terms of empty mindedness:

Step 1: Get underwear
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Profit!

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Terrorism is a bunch of BS caused by the MSM to scare us.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by harvib
reply to post by SuperSlovak

My thought exactly.
second line.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The question is a little redundant.

Those few real freedoms that people had, have long since been taken away.

It's never been a question of giving up liberty - it's always been a question of when and how liberty would be removed by TPTB.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copperflower
Perhaps they just forgot some Civics classes, and are confusing civil liberties (sacred) with personal liberties (optional, like searches at the airport).

Without a distinction, it's become an instinctive response to a well-worn question in circulation since 9/11.

Not to be difficult, but after that incident, America was found to have the most liberal boarding procedures of any major nation, btw. So increasing our security to the levels of most developed nations was a major change, from extra easy to much more vigilant. This caught a lot of people by surprise, but airports in foreign countries? Not so much.

Maybe that's what people thought was being referred to. I hope!

I must respectfully disagree with your classifications.

ALL LIBERTIES ARE SACRED!!!

You rights end five feet from my nose and mine begin. I never agreed to those checkpoints so they are not what I feel is necessary. Nor do I consider them ok or legal.

When you begin to divide liberties as you have you begin the walk down the slippery slope of tyranny. All liberties are personal.

Is the private space in between your bed sheet a personal liberty. Does the government have the right to view there to insure no one is committing a crime.

The logic can not be applied from one case to another. After all some people do horrible things in between their bed sheets so to secure your safety we must install new security procedures in your bedrooms.

For our freedoms to continue we must not allow this present set of attitudes to prevail.

You must have freedom for all or Freedom for none. The laws and rights of this land must apply to all or they apply to no one.

Franklin was right 100% on the issue of liberty in the quote.

I mean this as no insult I just completely disagree with any form of apologetics or any compromise on this issue. It must forever be all or none at all.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
What the hell is wrong with you America?! How could you possibly feel this way after everything we've seen? I'm so sad and disappointed right now...I can't ... Just NO!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
That's what this so-called "democratic" government wants. Bombard us like crazy with news of terrorism and eventually they are asking us to give up ALL our rights in order to protect us... The War on Terror is a joke. Yeah 9/11 happened but that event itself is sketchy... Don't let the government take your rights! They serve the will of the people and they serve US!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join