It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karzai to pay Taliban to lay down their arms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Karzai to pay Taliban to lay down their arms

www.google.com

Afghan President Hamid Karzai unveiled an ambitious Western-funded plan Friday to offer money and jobs to tempt Taliban fighters to lay down their arms in an effort to quell a crippling insurgency.

His comments to the BBC came as US Defence Secretary Robert Gates described the Taliban as part of Afghanistan's "political fabric", but said any future role would depend on insurgents laying down their weapons.

Karzai's plan echoed similar proposals by Washington to try and bring low and mid-le
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Will this work? They are terrorists, and are the Afghan and US govt ready to pay to terrorists? And how much money does terrorism demand?

The afghan army and other govt agencies are heavily infiltrated by the Taliban, given this background, I think this is not a very good move, I dont think Talibal will take it.

The money that a Taliban terrorist gets is more than a soilder in the Afghan army. And the artilce says that hardline Taliban terrorists would not be a part of this plan, but then how do you define a "hardline" terrorist?

And how many times have Taliban done this? Talk to the govt, then stop the attacks, then once again take up arms and indulge in terrorist attacks

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-1-2010 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I was watching a report on this last night.

The reason they are doing this is because a lot of farmers who were displaced since the war started had no option but to join the Taliban as they paid well.

The farmers they said weren't real Taliban fighters but just regular afghani's who opted to join the taliban because they needed the money.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The plan seems to have a lot in common with blackmail, don't you think ?

I mean, what's to stop Taliban members from taking the money today --- then a month later, 'rejoining' the Taliban and coming back to demand more money ... and doing it again six months later ?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

After 9 years of chasing these guys round the desert, pumping money into the military for supplies, equipment and weaponry. After losing god knows how many of our troops, along with US troops and Iraqi civilians. After all this time...

We're just going to pay them off?

I honestly feel sick

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
What did we expect? That region of the world is where empires go to die. People can't work in a war zone. When the taliban offer more money what would you do? I'm not saying its right but this is the reality of living in a country with a war being fought on its soil. I don't think this is a permanent solution nor do I know if it will be effective but I can't say I am surprised it has come to this.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Oh yeah, that'll work.

Paying someone to not terrorize you. So they can start killing folks at any time to renegotiate their payments.

Plus, what's the threat should they just take the money buy more weapons and keep on doing what they're doing? Will the UN write them a letter?

You cant enforce law and order onto a warring body. Thats the whole point of being a warring body.

top topics

join