It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viewer's Choice on Mars: NASA Takes Suggestions for Martian Photos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Viewer's Choice on Mars: Nasa Takes Suggestions for Martian Photos

If you have an absolute favorite spot on Mars, NASA wants to know. The agency may even take a snapshot for you with its most powerful camera circling the red planet.

NASA is taking public suggestions for photo targets on Mars using the HiRISE camera on its Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. The "HiWish" project, announced Wednesday, allows the general public to choose a location on Mars from a map on the Internet for HiRISE to photograph.

But there's a catch. Merely asking for a photo won't cut it. Requests must be accompanied with a title for the snapshot and a brief explanation of what scientific benefits may come from the Martian photo shoot. Suggestions also need to be categorized in one of the 18 science themes for the camera's mission at Mars.

I came across this today, and thought my fellow ATS'ers may be interested.

I honestly have know idea's for any new spots of Mars to be photographed, let alone reasons that it would be scientifically beneficial, but I do know we have some members here that may have some good suggestions.

Anyways, thought I'd share

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
First of all the obvious. Take a photo of the damn face on mars!
Also take a photo of the UFOs parked there.
Um.. also take a photo of the bases we set up in the 60s as well as the 1ft humanoids people think they see in rover photos.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

The Cydonia face has been re photographed at least twice.

Unmasking the Face on Mars

Also take a photo of the UFOs parked there.

Um.. also take a photo of the bases we set up in the 60s as well as the 1ft humanoids people think they see in rover photos.

Honestly, seeing that tone cannot be conveyed via text, I hope you're kidding.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Just doin a lil bump, but really, this isn't interesting at all?

This can make some good discussion people!

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Okay...I'll bite

I vote for the initial photo of the "Face" in Cydonia...

You know, the one that was pasted all over the entire planet in the 70's...

the one that NASA called a "trick of light" even though it's near pyramids and other buildings that are similar to ones in Giza...

the one that EVERYONE knows is a human/martian face that someone carved there...

[edit on 20-1-2010 by polychronopolis]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by polychronopolis

I vote for the initial photo of the "Face" in Cydonia...

The "initial" photo of Cydonia from 1976 is what started the whole "face" thing, well that and and the imagination of Richard Hoagland.

Please refer to the link on my second post on this thread

[edit on 20-1-2010 by ZombieJesus]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Okay, last bump for the night.

Really, is space and science really that boring that nobody has anything to say when NASA asks for advice????

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

Wouldn't it make more sense to actually submit a suggestion to NASA rather than discussing it here?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Maybe people aren't answering is because Mars is BORING. If there was a website where you could request parts of the Sahara desert to be photographed I don't think many people would be interested.

No offense to the planet but it does seem to be just sand rock and more sand. What exactly would we ask to be photographed?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
If you think NASA will consider you or anyone suggestion on a location for them to take a picture for you well you better be prepared to wait a life time. no way there going to do that, and if they did how do you know that picture is really the location that you suggested.
They don't even want to show you the face of Mars. Sure they show picture of it after its been altered and what ever these clowns do to picture that the public shouldn't really see.
NASA Please now there's a place that the American tax payers money is being burnt away.
And then these jokers have the audacity to say there don't have enough money for further research and need more.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by explore]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Wouldn't it make more sense to actually submit a suggestion to NASA rather than discussing it here?

You have a valid point, but in all fairness, I have already brought this point up in the OP.

Let me quote the OP:

I honestly have no idea's for any new spots of Mars to be photographed, let alone reasons that it would be scientifically beneficial, but I do know we have some members here that may have some good suggestions.

I know ATS has a small amount of amateur astronomers and what not, and they may have some good suggestions for NASA, seeing that only a mere 1% of the planet has actually been photographed.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by ZombieJesus]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

You're probably right. It seems the thought of space exploration is not exciting to the average person and society as a whole anymore.

It's a shame really

new topics

top topics

join