It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diamond Oceans Possible In Our Solar System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Anybody have a spaceship & a loupe?

Source Here

Oceans of liquid diamond, filled with solid diamond icebergs, could be floating on Neptune and Uranus, according to a recent article in the journal Nature Physics.

The research, based on the first detailed measurements of the melting point of diamond, found diamond behaves like water during freezing and melting, with solid forms floating atop liquid forms. The surprising revelation gives scientists a new understanding about diamonds and some of the most distant planets in our solar system.

It blows my mind to think about the amazing environments right here in our Solar System...

An ocean of diamond could help explain the orientation of Uranus' and Neptune's magnetic field as well, said Eggert. Roughly speaking, the Earth's magnetic poles match up with the geographic poles. The magnetic and geographic poles on Uranus and Neptune do not match up; in fact, they can be up to 60 degrees off of the north-south axis. If Earth's magnetic field were that far off it would place the magnetic north pole in Texas instead of off a Canadian island. A swirling ocean of liquid diamond could be responsible for the discrepancy.

More and more reasons to continue exploring our wonderful neighborhood!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Even if it was quarts or something totally generic and worthless, I bet that it would be priceless just to glimpse that; to wander around it. Man that sounds amazingly pretty. Interesting find.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Isn't it a shame that we Earth humans are still killing each other over something that could be as common as sand?

That's not all I have to say about your article OP, but I've gotta run now.

Good find - I love this stuff.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I think I read somewhere once that neptune, maybe has large natural gas... Hell its even possible for mars to have oil... to bad we cant get there yet.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
yeah i think it's ridiculous we still consider gems and metals precious.gold is SO last century,any new currency should be the kw/h in my opinion.

we need to send a mission with a blimp or something on it,i want good pictures of this.

oh and i found this interesting...
so are diamond fish a possibility?

"With most materials, the solid state is more dense than the liquid state. Water is an exception to that rule; when water freezes, the resulting ice is actually less dense than the surrounding water, which is why the ice floats and fish can survive a Minnesota winter."

will nobody make a uranus joke???
think of the children!!!

[edit on 19-1-2010 by the_grand_pooh-bah]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

interesting find! dang that'd be amazing to see, and it'd put an end to people killing each other (hopefully), yet caus the stock market to crash, if it were to be found.

oh, and if that were to happen, i think that the core of Jupiter, under extreme pressure, could be a diamond AT LEAST the size of Earth.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_grand_pooh-bah

will nobody make a uranus joke???
think of the children!!!

Well the title of the thread was almost Diamonds found in ____________......

Any odds on DeBeers funding a new spacecraft?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
What makes these two planets hot enough to melt diamond? Or is there just a buttload of pressure?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Awesome find mate.

Seeing a diamond ocean would be freaking amazing, I love just how "alien" the universe keeps getting.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

Apparently the oceans on Uranus can reach up to 8,000* F, even though it's very cold there, average around -350* F....and yes, HUGE amounts of pressure...

The scientists liquefied the diamond at pressures 40 million times greater than what a person feels when standing at sea level on Earth. From there they slowly reduced the temperature and pressure. When the pressure dropped to about 11 million times the atmospheric pressure at sea level on Earth and the temperature dropped to about 50,000 degrees, solid chunks of diamond began to appear. The pressure kept dropping, but the temperature of the diamond remained the same, with more and more chunks of diamond forming.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Awesome, so such a thing is quite possible in our solar system
. Kind of makes me want to see an artists perception of it, or at least get some paint tools and draw my own perception of it I suppose

Either way the solar system rather the whole universe amazes me more and more each time their is a new discovery.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

this is probably close-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/19daf64ffb97.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Ohhhhh okie doke. Thanks bud, star for you!

Although, I can't really imagine how spectacular a diamond ocean would be. most diamonds are clear, maybe slightly milky, unless theyre a different color altogether. Wouldnt this just look like a clear ocean like on earth, with whatever color tint Uranus and Neptune add?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Unfortunately a ocean of diamonds would render the gem worthless. It is it's scarcity that holds its value. If you think about it, if that many diamonds flood the market then cubic zirconia would probably fetch the higher price.

Rhain

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
www.dailygalaxy.com...

Quote from source:These ultrahigh temperatures and ultrahigh pressures are found in huge gas giant planets like Neptune and Uranus. Neptune and Uranus are estimated to be made up of 10% carbon. A large ocean of liquid diamond could deflect or tilt the magnetic field out of alignment with the rotation of the planet.

The only way scientists can know for sure if liquid diamond exists on these gas giant planets is either by sending a scientific spacecraft to one of them or by simulating the conditions on earth. Both methods would be very expensive and take years to prepare.

Now lets hope we can get over the fact that diamonds are not that rare anymore. They might start burning planets now to make the prices go up.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Nah, you must understand the diamond is not a rare item on the planet. It's all oligopolies my friend. And this is coming from one of ATS's normal folk! Not one of the "NWO/government hides everything" people.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
diamonds are not rare as a stone.

Gemstone quality, however, are quite rare. Clarity, lack of imperfections, color, not to mention its size (ala the 4 C's) are what make them expensive.

cool article, though it does raise one question from me..

In the article they said they raised temperatures to what, 50,000 degrees and at 11 million times the pressure of gravity at sea level on earth. I can understand the gravity pressure, but how do they get temperatures of 50,000 degrees on the most distant (official) planet of the solar system???

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlasherOfVeils
diamonds are not rare as a stone.

Gemstone quality, however, are quite rare. Clarity, lack of imperfections, color, not to mention its size (ala the 4 C's) are what make them expensive.

cool article, though it does raise one question from me..

In the article they said they raised temperatures to what, 50,000 degrees and at 11 million times the pressure of gravity at sea level on earth. I can understand the gravity pressure, but how do they get temperatures of 50,000 degrees on the most distant (official) planet of the solar system???

Must have something to do with the gases-

These ultrahigh temperatures and ultrahigh pressures are found in huge gas giant planets like Neptune and Uranus. Neptune and Uranus are estimated to be made up of 10% carbon. A large ocean of liquid diamond could deflect or tilt the magnetic field out of alignment with the rotation of the planet.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

That is simply a stunning photo thank you for showing me that

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SlasherOfVeils

Temperature rises as the pressure does.

top topics

join