It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarcasm punctuation mark aims to put an end to email confusion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Now a US firm has come up with an ingenious solution to this very real problem – a new item of punctuation.

The SarcMark, as it has been named, is designed to be used in the same way as an exclamation or question mark.

Anyone concerned that the irony of their email or text message might not be appreciated by its recipient can use the symbol to close their sentence, thereby avoiding awkward misunderstandings.

The symbol – a dot inside a single spiral line – can be installed onto any PC running Windows 7, XP or Vista, as well as Macs and Blackberry mobile devices.

It can then be used in Word documents, instant messenger conversations, Outlook email and other programmes, just by pressing Ctrl and the full stop button.

The Michigan company behind the SarcMark have applied for a patent to protection their invention.

What a great idea. I wish I'd of thought of that. What would be the mark for STFU?

[edit on 16-1-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

It would be the most used punctuation mark on my keyboard... I GOTTA HAVE ONE!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d266e38e5118.jpg[/atsimg]

Couldn't resist.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yeah, that would be my guess too!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Isn't this :p easier to use?

Just saying is all...

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This sounds like the type of thing i'd say, "Man thats the stupidest, lamest thing i've heard in a long time."

But, I think a punctuation mark indicating sarcasm is genius. I really like it!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
And this is designed to do what exactly? Prevent me from weaseling out of accountability for things I said online?

I don't foresee a whole lot of narcmarc's in my future writing.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Wow - now my keyboards simply need one key!

Work just gave out awards. The one for Most Finely Honed Sense of Sarcasm went to yours truly.

new topics

top topics

join