It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army charges mom for refusing to leave infant

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Army charges mom for refusing to leave infant

www.sfgate.com

Spc. Alexis Hutchinson was gung-ho in 2007 when she enlisted in the Army straight out of high school in East Oakland. She'd done three years in the ROTC, and this was her ticket to rock-solid stability, she told relatives.

Now a single mother in uniform, she wants nothing more than to be a civilian again, her mother says - but she may have to spend a couple of years in military prison before that can happen.

The 21-year-old Army cook was charged this week with four court-martial counts for
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Look at the comments in that page, so many people with such a slave mentality!

I find it disgusting, but anyhow, is there no compassion for the american family that the United States is sworn to protect?

"Overall, her command has shown a lack of compassion and failed to properly counsel Alexis," Sussman said. "It's very disappointing that they've chosen to throw the book at her instead of working with her on this."

That's just piss-poor nasty!

There's a song called Hello Darkness, here's a piece of the very relevant lyrics:

"He once was a hero they don't love him no more
There's a blast, every time a foot hits the floor
His gift for not fighting another man's war
And if they can get their hands on the mask that he wore
On his face, they can put somebody else in his place and restore
The state, the illusion that its safe
the faith, that being a slave is great
"

I wish more people would know and understand these lyrics.

www.sfgate.com

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Call me uncaring or whatever but she signed up, took the oath, knew what she was doing beforehand. She has to follow orders, if she doesn't want to leave her child behind then she shouldn't have had one or shouldn't have joined the military. You sign up, you follow orders, that is the way it is.

-Cauch1

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
disgusting , when i thought i saw the last of worse threads about truth on US military , there comes an another thread , USA is getting worse and worse day by day .

usa is becoming worser than ussr . usa is a epitome of evil

[edit on 15-1-2010 by sadchild01]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
They throw the book at them, from my experience in the Marine Corps and with the Navy, because women getting pregnant is a serious problem so they stopped all consideration for it.

Navy women (enlisted at least) tended to get pregnant to prevent them from having to go do sea duty.

I will say this, however, I believe that every command should work with people and use non-paper punishments as often as possible.

The precedent that women getting pregnant or having kids should get some special treatment is running dry these days, so I wouldn't expect too much sympathy from the military.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1
She has to follow orders, if she doesn't want to leave her child behind then she shouldn't have had one or shouldn't have joined the military. You sign up, you follow orders, that is the way it is.

You are uncaring and callous and refuse to not allow people to follow the orders of emperors.

I'm sure there were Nazis like this too, in fact i'm sure there were MANY MANY MANY Nazis like this.

Just because you sign up doesn't mean you should be a slave.

END THE SLAVE MENTALITY!

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

One she took an Oath and, as a soldier we all know that you are going to deploy, not if but when.

However, Her chain of command shows a complete lack of Intelligence on this one, Each Single soldier is taken on a case by case bases. Her Family care plan fell through, she should have been put into a no deployable status and immediately been discharge from the Army as an Honorable discharge. Right now there just beating on their chest's but as long as she can prove she took the right steps ( which I see she did FROM the story) The wont send her to jail. As long as the media stays involved she will be okay.

Her chain of command should be stripped of their ranks for their lack of respect and following of Army Procedures. But knowing the Army and how it works they will be promoted. I have seen other soldiers like her in similar instances where they got off scot free, maybe a Article 15 punishment, but that’s better than Leavenworth.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

Your right I have seen that one to often in the Army a women would get Prego in a combat theater so she could leave there, or to avoid going; not all women mind you but enough to where it can hurt the units overall mission. My feeling is this there should no longer be special privileges for anyone anymore regardless of who they are.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
You are uncaring and callous and refuse to not allow people to follow the orders of emperors.

I'm sure there were Nazis like this too, in fact i'm sure there were MANY MANY MANY Nazis like this.

Just because you sign up doesn't mean you should be a slave.

END THE SLAVE MENTALITY!

It is a voluntary contract, and people (even free people) are obligated to fulfill their contractual obligations. She has a choice, there is no slavery here.

She can follow her orders, claim them as unlawful, or claim she just won't do it and spend time in the brig. A slave would be forced, physically beaten, and would not be paid.

Also, it really didn't take long to get to the Nazi business in this thread eh? Is that really necessary?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think in cases like this the priority should be for the child. Afterall isn't this what the army is for, protecting people?

Putting the mother in prison doesn't seem like a good idea to me but then I can also see why military would be upset given that you know what your signing up for before you do and if you aren;t aware, boot camp wakes you up real fast. She made a choice. Now granted this circumstance is slightly different given a baby is involved so I don't know what the appropriate response should be.

Sad situation all around

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Also, it really didn't take long to get to the Nazi business in this thread eh? Is that really necessary?

History is important so that history doesn't repeat itself
That's why we are taught history

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

That's why we are taught history

Yeah, just a commenting on Godwin's law. Shot that wad off pretty quick, and I really don't think it was needed to prove a point.

This is simple contract law. They are paid, they are not forced to join, the penalty is clearly defined, and the penalty is generally worse than simple doing what is asked anyway.

Getting a bad discharge for being stupid is a fast way to screw up your entire working life.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

This is simple contract law. They are paid, they are not forced to join, the penalty is clearly defined

They are not forced to join, they are just forced to stay no matter what
ok gotcha

Getting a bad discharge for being stupid is a fast way to screw up your entire working life.

Spc. Alexis Hutchinson was gung-ho in 2007 when she enlisted in the Army straight out of high school in East Oakland

How many stupid people do you know fresh out of high school?
A whole LOT i'm guessing.

What the hell is she supposed to know?
She was fresh out of high school, do you know how stupid people are fresh out of high school in America?

Is THIS what you support?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b0af85088575.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 15-1-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

They are not forced to join, they are just forced to stay no matter what ok gotcha

No, not no matter what. There are avenues to get out, but for the most part you can't do things the wrong way and expect things will work out nicely.

Have you been in the military?

She was fresh out of high school, do you know how stupid people are fresh out of high school in America?

Again, there are provisions set aside to allow people to get out. Sure people make poor choices when they are young, but there is no better age group for the military as they are the most fit, most flexible, and most resilient group of society so it's not really like we can do much to change that.

Despite being stupid at 18, at some point they must be held accountable for their actions.

There doesn't seem to be a point to your contrary opinion. Not trying to be rude, just trying to get where you are coming from.

Also, that cartoon isn't appropriate or fair. I'd prefer to have a reasonable discussion if you don't mind.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by KrazyJethro]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It's hard to follow the timeline here and there are so many facts that are not included in the article, such as when she got pregnant, where the father is, etc.

My opinion based on the facts that I am seeing is that she didn't have a child so that she wouldn't get deployed. In fact, she seemed perfectly ok to leave the child with family while she deployed. Her family is not well and that caused the problem. So the army leaves her with the choice of leaving the child with strangers? Sorry, but that's a bad solution for the problem.

I mean, she would be leaving a child in it's formative years with strangers that the child may not ever see again. That's very close to abandonment and can be traumatic on the child. The army wants to trade the child's life long mental well being for 12 months of culinary support? That sounds rediculous.

What's worse, if the mom is sent to prison, now it is 2 years of the kid in foster care. The military has simply expounded that problem.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Now a single mother in uniform, she wants nothing more than to be a civilian again, her mother says - but she may have to spend a couple of years in military prison before that can happen.

The 21-year-old Army cook was charged this week with four court-martial counts for

That General guy said a couple weeks ago that he wouldn't throw people in jail for getting pregnant or what not.. is this doublespeak? I cant remember the idiots name so I cant recall.. I will try and find a story on this....

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Modern Academia,

using demagoguery tricks like Reductio ad Hitlerum does not a good discussion make. I've expected more from you.

I agree with those who said that she knew what she was getting into. Tough.

The punishment does seem harsh, though.

[edit on 15-1-2010 by buddhasystem]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Lol how mild is your view of the Nazis that you think this resembles anything approaching what they did!

They are not forced to join, they are just forced to stay no matter what
ok gotcha

Because that is what they agree to in their contract, a minimum X year service including being required to deploy when ordered. I don’t see you making the same argument about loan contracts, oh they’re not forced to sign them just pay up no matter what! Of course they are, that’s how contracts work!

Of course as pointed out it’s not actually “no matter what”.

Why is that an excuse? They are considered an adult and if they are given all the rights and freedoms of an adult they should be expected to shoulder the responsibilities of one.

If they are really that stupid then perhaps they should be classed as a child until 25 but then people will be pointing out how stupid some 25 year olds are.

IMHO there are two possibilities in this story, the first is that she is telling the truth and no adequate options were given to her, in which case she should and probably will be discharged with no other serious consequences and perhaps those responsible for dealing with her should be disciplined. Alternatively she was given adequate care options that she refused in which case she should be held accountable, though personally I don’t think she’ll get much if any jail time either way.

If the latter is true OP, and alternative arrangements were provided, what do you think should happen?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
She should have waited to finish her military commitment before becoming pregnant and wanting to be a full time mommy.

Sorry but it was her choice to have a child not the military choice.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
using demagoguery tricks like Reductio ad Hitlerum does not a good discussion make. I've expected more from you.

Look at the tagline below my AV
it says "it's not patriotism it's demogoguery"

Seriously, let me ask you
Just because Reductio ad Hitlerum exists as a term does that mean it is ALWAYS wrong to reference the third reich?

During Nazi Germany it was all about the mission and never about the individual, if I see too many parallels today why can't I reference it?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join